5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Box requires service . . .

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any idea how much is lost from that? I’m nearly to the point where I’m willing to do anything to stop that message from popping up nonstop.
You lose connected services, anything that talks to Ram will not work ie the Ram app and if you get monthly email reports. The dealer will not try and call you when you get a check engine code and stuff like that.
You can order a connector cable for gps bypass, it's cheap.

mattee

Reaction score
I might be to the point where I by-pass it. Isn't a real PITA to get though?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I might be to the point where I by-pass it. Isn't a real PITA to get though?
It's not that bad. I didn't break anything and it didn't take terribly long, maybe 3 hours to take out and reassemble because very careful.
2 screws for radio and pull forward. Then just the lower glove box, then trim, then upper dashboard, then kill your fingers taking 4 screws out to get the tbm box out. Then just throw a female to female cable in for gps and box it back up.
I removed mine to keep performance pages on my 22 (Ram connect disables them remotely and want to charge you $15 a month to access what the sensors you already own on your truck)

mattee

Reaction score
Thanks, do other features still work for the radio like voice command etc.... I have seen some posts where guys loose some other features and I do like having those things. Also will it set any codes or cause any other issues not having the box installed?
Thanks

mattee

Reaction score
I'm also convinced that this is all just BS to get people to buy connect service subscriptions. I'll bet if I buy a subscription it would all go away. Just like Apple, Microsoft etc..... They all have their ways of controlling us.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks, do other features still work for the radio like voice command etc.... I have seen some posts where guys loose some other features and I do like having those things. Also will it set any codes or cause any other issues not having the box installed?
Thanks
Voice commands still work.
I have mine removed, if there is a list of things you want me to check I can.
It kills your connection to Ram, not the outside world.
If you are not paying for subscriptions your truck is already working like it's "offline".
I can say "give me directions to Walmart" and it will load a list of nearby Walmarts on my radio as it has offline maps as do all 2022s (that include nav)

It's just the Ram app, and anything that communicates with Ram such as monthly reports that say stuff like your tire pressure, oil %, etc.
It's the same thing as taking the sim card out of a cellphone, you can still download apps on wifi, and everything on it still works fine. If you ask it for the weather it will have no idea because it is not connected for exmaple.

CSS_Baloo 23

Reaction score
I'm also convinced that this is all just BS to get people to buy connect service subscriptions. I'll bet if I buy a subscription it would all go away. Just like Apple, Microsoft etc..... They all have their ways of controlling us.
I purchased connected services for mine and I am seeing the same issue. Scheduled for my second dealer visit in two weeks this Thursday. Great truck other than this.

mattee

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I agree with you though, I love my truck except for this issue.

SimplyHat

Reaction score
@CSS_Baloo 23 were they able to resolve it at the dealership?

I’ve been dealing with this exact same issue for about 2 years now, and no fix. I took it to the dealership and they told me I couldn’t get a loaner and it would take several days to fix. I told them to pound sand and have been dealing with it ever since.

s8er01z

Reaction score
Sadly I pay for the connected services and mine still does it nonstop. 😞

U

User_3336

WRONG! It still does it with an active subscription. Its annoying as f&&&, but I just click it off and ignore it.
Nothing is inoperable in the system. I've been driving enough to where if needed to update, it should have updated by now.

s8er01z

Reaction score
WRONG! It still does it with an active subscription. Its annoying as f&&&, but I just click it off and ignore it.
Nothing is inoperable in the system. I've been driving enough to where if needed to update, it should have updated by now.
When the error pops up on my screen there is a red light on the rearview mirror and all of the connected services are unavailable for a period of time. I’m not sure if that’s the same for RAM but I would watch for that. The SOS button and Assist on the mirror do not work during this time period. 😬

U

User_3336

When the error pops up on my screen there is a red light on the rearview mirror and all of the connected services are unavailable for a period of time. I’m not sure if that’s the same for RAM but I would watch for that. The SOS button and Assist on the mirror do not work during this time period. 😬
Yeah, both of mine were red when I checked yesterday. I am not sure they ever go to green after you are driving or not. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I never look up there or use those buttons.

You said "for a period of time"... Does that mean just when the error initially occurs at startup? and the buttons are normal afterwards?

mattee

Reaction score
When mine does it the buttons are red the whole time I'm driving even after touching ok to clear the error message. When I don't get the error message the buttons are not lit at all (red or green).

U

User_3336

When mine does it the buttons are red the whole time I'm driving even after touching ok to clear the error message. When I don't get the error message the buttons are not lit at all (red or green).
I don't think they're ever gonna get a fix for this. OTA's to fix this supposedly been going out since last year. obviously not! I won't renew any of that subscription crap after it expires.

CSS_Baloo 23

Reaction score
@CSS_Baloo 23 were they able to resolve it at the dealership?

I’ve been dealing with this exact same issue for about 2 years now, and no fix. I took it to the dealership and they told me I couldn’t get a loaner and it would take several days to fix. I told them to pound sand and have been dealing with it ever since.
It appeared to be good for a couple of weeks, but it is happening again. They took about the truck and checked all connections and reset the system. It is not occurring often enough to bring it back in. Everything I have read it needs the box replaced. I might open a case with the mfg. as some have to get a resolution. 2 years is crazy.

U

User_3336

My two buttons are RED. but I managed to call CONNECTED SERVICES by pushing one (not the SOS button).

So, everything appears to work, but just the damn error and the red buttons, and the annoying error.

s8er01z

Reaction score
Yeah, both of mine were red when I checked yesterday. I am not sure they ever go to green after you are driving or not. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I never look up there or use those buttons.

You said "for a period of time"... Does that mean just when the error initially occurs at startup? and the buttons are normal afterwards?
Normally there is no light on mine before the error pops up. When I get the error it stays red for a random period (few minutes sometimes while other times it just stays red for 20+ minutes ).

s8er01z

Reaction score
FYI it's only been a week but the dealership replaced the module (68323160-AA) and antennae cable (68487082-AC)... the error has not come back. It's a bit early to declare it's fixed but all signs are looking good. I was getting the error every single time at startup and every few minutes prior to the parts change.

U

User_3336

FYI it's only been a week but the dealership replaced the module (68323160-AA) and antennae cable (68487082-AC)... the error has not come back. It's a bit early to declare it's fixed but all signs are looking good. I was getting the error every single time at startup and every few minutes prior to the parts change.
Hmmmm. just the antenna and the cable? No telematics box replacement required? It would be interesting to see your service order in detail. Can you post it (with personal information redacted)?

Users who are viewing this thread