5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I have he same issue of Sirius freezing at startup. Good news: I was fortunate to receive a replacement radio very quickly. Bad news: the replacement radio is worse than the original. Dealer has done the software updates, hard reset the radio several times, talked to factory service rep, talked to Sirius and U-Connect folks and has opened cases with each. The only outstanding idea not yet accomplished (just ordered the part this week) is replacing the shark fin antenna. Question: has anyone actually gotten this problem fixed? Or are we all waiting for a resolution? A tip of my hat to a superb dealer - Dominion of Bedford in Bedford, VA
So far a new radio fixed it for me. 🤞
Your dealer went WAY beyond what mine did. I had to jump through hoops and fight.

Bigs

Reaction score
Pretty much the same for me...worse when I got the new radio. As with you the dealer has been super to work with. Have done nothing with the antenna yet but it sounded like there was nearly a beta software push they wanted FCA to do but it just was not ready. So they want my truck in next week for more engineering connections with FCA

1Mopar

Reaction score
Same hear still waiting on FCA to tell the dealer what to do. It's been locking up no sound can't change the channel...ect...

Jgon371

Reaction score
I think I found a constant with all this issue.... place where I park.

Let me explain:
I have a reserved parking spot at work, if I park there 7 out of 10 starts issue will come up. But, if I park at the very end of the parking lot, about 50 yds away, maybe 1 out of 20 times will happen.
At home, if i park towards the end of my driveway the issue will happen very constantly. If I park about 10 yards away, this will not happen.

So far, this is the only "consistent" constant when the issue happens.

Before you stone me to death because I am inferring a connection between ucon12 and a geographical place....i think the problem resides with the uconn12 software/hardware having issues with XM radio or even GPS satellites at certain places.

Last edited:

Vanburkl

Reaction score
Hello. Another victim of the SiriusXM/ uconnect debacle here. Have a Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn with 12” uconnect that I purchased in September 2020. Started having intermittent issues with sirius locking up my system in January but didn’t think much of it as it was only happening every few weeks. Now it’s multiple times a day. I’m due to take my truck into the dealer tomorrow morning and as I sit here typing the system magically started working for the first time in 3 days! Now strangely enough I’m hoping it acts up again before my appointment in the morning to show the service technician.

Reading through all the posts is disheartening and am not looking forward to starting the process. I’m guessing there still is no software update? If so, this absolutely mind boggling and outright criminal of the manufacturer’s part

I’ve noticed several references in these threads about opening cases with FCA, Uconnect, Star, RAM, and Chrysler. From what I’ve gathered, dealers are only ones who can open a case with FCA case. But curious to know the importance of opening cases with the other agencies listed above and if the vehicle owner should files those directly?

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

LV426

Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and noticed that not once does RamCares chime in to this important discussion... However, on another thread where people are complaining about the stinky a/c issue they comment multiple times about how sorry they are, not a good sign...

Anyway, I suspect the OTA update they are pushing is not 100% reliable, we've seen this happen before with cell phones, routers, game consoles, etc... It gets messy.
Also seems like too many "hands in the pot" with FCA, Uconnect, Sirius, etc... all blaming each other. In my experience, when there are too many involved it will never get properly resolved.

I had some issues when transferring the service from the previous owner over to me (all services) but everything at this time seems to somewhat be working on my 12" Uconnect radio (SV 20.04.01). I've noticed the satellite signal gets lost more than I expected, not sure why considering I'm on the open road, no obstructions when it happens. The Uconnect/Guardian is unreliable, I tried doing the vehicle location for the 3rd time yesterday and I get "Vehicle Finder Failed", remote start/lock, unlock does seem to work though.

As proof of how sloppy SiriusXM handles things, they transferred the service over to my name but left the previous owners name & credit card information on my account as the current payment method.

Jcalka16

Reaction score
Hello has anyone had an issue at night when the headlights are on and their phone is connected via Bluetooth the radio says “music muted” and I cannot play any music. The only way I fixed it was plugging my iPhone directly in. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyham

Reaction score
My issue is similar in a fashion. Sirius XM was stuck loading so I selected FM, that worked fine. Now I can select anything BUT Sirius XM. If I select it, even though the button is illuminated, it doesn't do anything. I can't get back into Sirius XM mode. Has anyone run across this? How did you resolve it? (2020 Ram 1500)
Update: After a 4 hour period of being parked, all is back to normal again. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Jgon371

Reaction score
According to another thread here, there is a soft reset already

Engine off
Press the ignition switch two times (run with the engine off)
Keep volume and tune button knobs pressed for 20 seconds
System will restart

I can not get it to work, but other people did it.

LV426

Reaction score
The above method does nothing for me other than shut off radio (no restart), I tried this a few weeks ago when I had another issue. Only way I could get a restart was the battery disconnect and that still didn't do much either.

Can anyone elaborate as to why the hell this radio does not have a more realistic way of doing a soft restart? I've read about 3 or 4 different bizarre methods already that all seem to actually not restart it. We all eventually have to restart our electronic devices... phones, tablets, game console, computer, list goes on and on... How can there not be a basic soft restart for this big *** radio system????

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I had this problem last year after the April update and it took months for the dealer and Chrysler to come up with a radio. Well "Its back!". I got in the truck and now its doing the same thing again. Ugh. So Cracked Pass side exhaust manifold leak with a part on eternal backorder, no freakin radio and it needs the air conditioning TSB due to poor performance. I honestly think I am done and going to sell this truck to a dealership thats offered me decent money for it. I cant take it anymore and have no desire to continue down this path fighting this BS any longer. Now I wish I had bought the Tahoe RST that I was originally thinking about buying. FML

tpetty

Reaction score
I had posted in this thread last year about this issue. Luckily this only happened a few times to me - but not at all in the last 6 months or so. I haven't done anything about it - no dealer notice, no intentional software update, etc. Looks like the comments on this thread are slowing down too. I wonder if an update did get pushed out earlier this year that solved this for most of us? don't know...

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
I had posted in this thread last year about this issue. Luckily this only happened a few times to me - but not at all in the last 6 months or so. I haven't done anything about it - no dealer notice, no intentional software update, etc. Looks like the comments on this thread are slowing down too. I wonder if an update did get pushed out earlier this year that solved this for most of us? don't know...

The comments are slowing down because the people who are now having this issue have ten pages to read about how there's no serviceable fix for it.

Mine just started Thursday - performed a hard reset with disconnecting the battery, and it fixed the issue then. Now two days later, it's back.

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
HYPOTHESIS #1: When you are parked where your truck cannot get a satellite signal AND you have the radio set to SiriusXM, the system hangs and crashes while trying to process a crappy signal. Putting the truck in radio or CD or USB when you shut it off in those places fixes this issue.
. . . . Hypothesis #1 currently in testing . . . .

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
HYPOTHESIS #1: When you are parked where your truck cannot get a satellite signal AND you have the radio set to SiriusXM, the system hangs and crashes while trying to process a crappy signal. Putting the truck in radio or CD or USB when you shut it off in those places fixes this issue.
I'm thinking no. I park under a large roof at work and lose the sat signal whenever I am under it. I shut off my truck like that and leave it off all day. When I return, the signal is still lost but as soon as I clear the roof, it comes back immediately. I also remember it asking me if I want to switch to wifi when the sat signal is lost. I have responded yes to that on occasion and it works like a charm. Of course I do have my truck on my data plan. And of course I have never experienced the hang or crash you speak of.

Renoenvy97

Reaction score
Bought my 2019 Ram Limited used last September and had this happen for the first time 2 weeks ago and then again last weekend. Have not yet taken to dealer and now am wondering if I should even bother given no solution yet to fix. Love the truck and was considering upgrading to a 2021 next year but this issue is a deal breaker if it can't get resolved.

Gort

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 2020 2500 Laramie since new (purchased in Dec 2020). Locks up on SiriusXM "loading" screen about 1 out of every 3 starts. I've tried but failed to come up with something that's common to every failure.

Regardless, I finally got to take it to the dealership in April to confirm the problem. Fortunately, it locked up when I started the truck to head out there, so confirming the problem was a no-brainer for them. The tech checked some stuff and told me that I had the latest firmware so they could skip the part of the instructions that said to flash it and go straight to replacing it.

Fast forward to mid-July. Still no replacement radio. I happened to be at the dealership for a state inspection on another one of my vehicles when I asked about the status of the replacement radio. Service advisor made a lot of phone calls and said he'd get back to me. That was two weeks ago. I've called them multiple times and they still have no information as to the status of the replacement. So I called Ram Customer Care. Even *they* blew me off, telling me that they don't know anything more than the dealer does.

I realize that there's a class-action lawsuit over this 12" UConnect hunk of junk (which I am not a party to), so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the radio silence on the issue?

This is my 4th Ram and I love the vehicle in every other respect. I personally wouldn't have ordered the 12" UConnect (I was happy with the 8.4 in my previous truck) however I bought it off the lot and got whatever the dealer ordered on it.

Regardless, is there any way to get Ram to actually respond to me on this issue or fix their problem in a reasonable amount of time? Or should I just keep reporting it and hope I can engage the lemon law? Or perhaps engage an attorney?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read this thread up and down. Have Owned my 2021 1500 Bighorn since April. Have had all audio go out on me twice. FM stereo would still work, but no Bluetooth, no Sirius, nothing. Drive app on phone would show my Pandora is playing, but 12 inch screen just reads UCONNECT.
Have had my rear view camera go out on me at least a half a dozen times already. A couple times when i needed it most. Most of the time after I have used the NAV feature.
By next morning, problem is gone, with nothing done on my part.
You’d think that with all the effort they put into their 2022 lineup, they coulda used some of that energy into fixing existing issue for those of us who already bought their $**t. Love the truck, love the screen, but it can be very irritating at times.

willR'kansas

Reaction score
I thought this may be the case too since I park in garage at night but mine has done it a couple time recently after being parked outside. Taking to dealer tomorrow will update if I find anything out.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

willR'kansas

Reaction score
Dealer said RAM is working on a software update to fix this issue but it has not been released. Has anyone else heard this? Will update if/when they notify me about release.
6fd8ee2230a76aa34712ab7f34fc80e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread