5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 12 Issue - No Sound/Sirius Doesn't Load

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
I got my update downloaded about 4 days ago. We'll see if this fixes anything.

Gort

Reaction score
Dealer said RAM is working on a software update to fix this issue but it has not been released. Has anyone else heard this? Will update if/when they notify me about release.
6fd8ee2230a76aa34712ab7f34fc80e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I personally haven't heard that. The last thing that I was told (in April) was that I had the latest firmware and that they were ordering a replacement unit for me. Since then, both the dealership and Ram Customer Care refuses to respond to my inquiries. I've been being ghosted for over 3 months. Maybe they're hoping that they can continue ignoring me until the warranty expires -- then it's not their problem anymore.

Last edited:

Joelamite

Reaction score
Talked to UConnect today. Gave me detailed instructions on how to soft reset my 12" Harmon Kardon system. Not near vehicle at this time. Also instructed to go to dealer if radio did not properly reset and ask for software download of version NR28.1 and tell them this is data from Dealer Connect, if any hesitation. From what I see here, this problem arose after a failed OTA upgrade back around Xmas time.
Would you care to share the detailed instructions from UConnect on performing the soft reset on the 12" HK system? The typical instructions for holding the Power/Tune or Phone/VR buttons for 30 seconds haven't effected a reset on my N3GL system.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Would you care to share the detailed instructions from UConnect on performing the soft reset on the 12" HK system? The typical instructions for holding the Power/Tune or Phone/VR buttons for 30 seconds haven't effected a reset on my N3GL system.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!
I second this emotion!! As far as we all have known for quite a while, there is no way to do a soft reset with any button sequence on the 12 inch radio. HK or not HK. Not sure what difference that would make for a soft reset anyway.

Yamie700

Reaction score
My truck just started having this same problem yesterday, siriusXM hangs and then FM, bluetooth, have zero sound as well. I don't remember seeing anything about a software update for uconnect. Seems random that it just started happening.

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
My truck just started having this same problem yesterday, siriusXM hangs and then FM, bluetooth, have zero sound as well. I don't remember seeing anything about a software update for uconnect. Seems random that it just started happening.
Welcome to the club.

Gort

Reaction score
Welcome to the club.
Indeed. And I'm still getting "ghosted" by my dealership and Ram Customer Care. Going on 4 months since they supposedly ordered a replacement unit. They've been refusing to respond to my calls and messages asking for a status update since the day I had it at the dealership. I'm seriously considering retaining an attorney at this point.

RubyRam

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 2020 2500 Laramie since new (purchased in Dec 2020). Locks up on SiriusXM "loading" screen about 1 out of every 3 starts. I've tried but failed to come up with something that's common to every failure.

Regardless, I finally got to take it to the dealership in April to confirm the problem. Fortunately, it locked up when I started the truck to head out there, so confirming the problem was a no-brainer for them. The tech checked some stuff and told me that I had the latest firmware so they could skip the part of the instructions that said to flash it and go straight to replacing it.

Fast forward to mid-July. Still no replacement radio. I happened to be at the dealership for a state inspection on another one of my vehicles when I asked about the status of the replacement radio. Service advisor made a lot of phone calls and said he'd get back to me. That was two weeks ago. I've called them multiple times and they still have no information as to the status of the replacement. So I called Ram Customer Care. Even *they* blew me off, telling me that they don't know anything more than the dealer does.

I realize that there's a class-action lawsuit over this 12" UConnect hunk of junk (which I am not a party to), so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the radio silence on the issue?

This is my 4th Ram and I love the vehicle in every other respect. I personally wouldn't have ordered the 12" UConnect (I was happy with the 8.4 in my previous truck) however I bought it off the lot and got whatever the dealer ordered on it.

Regardless, is there any way to get Ram to actually respond to me on this issue or fix their problem in a reasonable amount of time? Or should I just keep reporting it and hope I can engage the lemon law? Or perhaps engage an attorney?
Did you ever use CarPlay? Mine only goes bat crazy after using CarPlay.

RubyRam

Reaction score
Hello. Another victim of the SiriusXM/ uconnect debacle here. Have a Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn with 12” uconnect that I purchased in September 2020. Started having intermittent issues with sirius locking up my system in January but didn’t think much of it as it was only happening every few weeks. Now it’s multiple times a day. I’m due to take my truck into the dealer tomorrow morning and as I sit here typing the system magically started working for the first time in 3 days! Now strangely enough I’m hoping it acts up again before my appointment in the morning to show the service technician.

Reading through all the posts is disheartening and am not looking forward to starting the process. I’m guessing there still is no software update? If so, this absolutely mind boggling and outright criminal of the manufacturer’s part

I’ve noticed several references in these threads about opening cases with FCA, Uconnect, Star, RAM, and Chrysler. From what I’ve gathered, dealers are only ones who can open a case with FCA case. But curious to know the importance of opening cases with the other agencies listed above and if the vehicle owner should files those directly?

Any guidance would be most appreciated!
Question, do you use CarPlay?

Gort

Reaction score
Did you ever use CarPlay? Mine only goes bat crazy after using CarPlay.
I never used CarPlay -- I have an Android phone. I did try using Android Auto once, but the problem manifested itself on day one of ownership -- long before I ever tried Auto. To be honest, I'd have been happy with the UConnect 8.4 -- I had that in my last few trucks and it worked fine. I only have this 12" because that's what the dealer ordered and I bought the truck off the lot. It's certainly nifty, but if it's a crap-shoot as to whether it'll work when I start the truck, they can keep the fancy-schmancy thing.

Lhboyd27

Reaction score
+1 for having the SiriusXM Loading issue :( Purchased a new 2020 Longhorn with the Uconnect 12.0-Inch screen. Truck currently due for its 25,000 mile service. Each service I take to the dealer and mention the radio problem. Service department tells me it is a known issue and they are waiting on a software update that seems to never come.

Have read the entire thread. Some posters mention opening cases with STAR, UConnect, and SiriusXM. Is that worth pursuing? Can I open these on my own or do I have to have the dealership open them?

How can I find the model/serial #/software version information on my radio?

Attachments

• siriusxm loading.IMG_8202.jpg
    siriusxm loading.IMG_8202.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14

jabberwock

Reaction score
The software update is a phantom. The issues is with the radio and not Sirius itself.
The dealer should open a STAR case for the purposes of documentation but the only fix is a radio swap. The dealer needs to order it.
If the dealer/service station pushes back on this (and they shouldn't since it's not a cost for them) then I'd go to another one that will.

Gort

Reaction score
+1 for having the SiriusXM Loading issue :( Purchased a new 2020 Longhorn with the Uconnect 12.0-Inch screen. Truck currently due for its 25,000 mile service. Each service I take to the dealer and mention the radio problem. Service department tells me it is a known issue and they are waiting on a software update that seems to never come.

Have read the entire thread. Some posters mention opening cases with STAR, UConnect, and SiriusXM. Is that worth pursuing? Can I open these on my own or do I have to have the dealership open them?

How can I find the model/serial #/software version information on my radio?
I got into the "dealer menu" by pressing and holding the two outermost *soft* buttons simultaneously -- in my case, it's the "Media" and "Backup Cam" buttons. According to my dealership, though, I already had the latest firmware and they skipped flashing it and went right to ordering a replacement. The dealership already had the latest firmware flash back in April (which was equivalent to the version on my old unit), so not sure why you're being told to wait on an update unless it's an even newer version of the firmware than I had on my original unit.

I haven't checked the firmware version yet on my replacement unit to see if it's different than the old one, but I will and get back to you on this thread.

Radio_1.jpg

Lhboyd27

Reaction score
@jabberwock - thanks for the reply and suggestion on having the dealer replace the radio.

@Gort - thanks for the info on how to get into the "dealer menu" for the radio! Very helpful. Attached is screenshot of my current radio info.

I called and spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership where I purchased my Longhorn. He suggested having the radio replaced.
He gave me a phone number (1-800-247-9753) for Chrysler Care and suggested calling them.

I called Chrysler Care and got a case open. The person I spoke to suggested telling the service department about Service Bulletin W33 which apparently is about a software update for the radio. They suggested contacting SiriusXM (1-888-539-7474) and requesting a refresh signal but for me it isn't just a Satellite radio issue.

In my case when the problem happens none of the radio functions (FM/AM/Satellite) work and CarPlay/Phone connections do not work. The navigation for whatever reason does. Then magically while driving down the road or after stop starting the truck it goes back to normal and works. So not sure how it is a hardware issue. To me it points to software.

But if getting the radio swapped out fixes it I'll be happy. Has been 10 months now dealing with this.

Have service scheduled for the truck on Monday and going to press them for replacing the radio.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Attachments

• original radio.27aug21.IMG_8209.jpg
    original radio.27aug21.IMG_8209.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 22

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@jabberwock - thanks for the reply and suggestion on having the dealer replace the radio.

@Gort - thanks for the info on how to get into the "dealer menu" for the radio! Very helpful. Attached is screenshot of my current radio info.

I called and spoke to the Service Manager at the dealership where I purchased my Longhorn. He suggested having the radio replaced.
He gave me a phone number (1-800-247-9753) for Chrysler Care and suggested calling them.

I called Chrysler Care and got a case open. The person I spoke to suggested telling the service department about Service Bulletin W33 which apparently is about a software update for the radio. They suggested contacting SiriusXM (1-888-539-7474) and requesting a refresh signal but for me it isn't just a Satellite radio issue.

In my case when the problem happens none of the radio functions (FM/AM/Satellite) work and CarPlay/Phone connections do not work. The navigation for whatever reason does. Then magically while driving down the road or after stop starting the truck it goes back to normal and works. So not sure how it is a hardware issue. To me it points to software.

But if getting the radio swapped out fixes it I'll be happy. Has been 10 months now dealing with this.

Have service scheduled for the truck on Monday and going to press them for replacing the radio.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
I had similar intermittent issues with my then new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, I was driving from Northern Ontario to Florida at the time, I brought it at the FCA dealer in Sebring Florida and they found the shark fin antenna base was defective and was replaced on warranty, I was working fine after until June this summer, the radio was attempting to update and completely drained the battery, and it strayed in that mode so they had to disconnect it, the fuse removal was not an option, it took almost 2 months to get a replacement, it was replaced on warranty.

smshuskerram

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm in the same boat as everyone here. Its been going on with my radio now for 3+ months. I have found one way to get around this Sirius/XM loading issue. I've noticed that if I turn the Sirius/XM back to radio before I turn the truck off I have a better chance that the next time my radio will turn on it will function like normal. Every once in a while I change from radio to Sirius it locks up with the loading screen. I then change it back to radio before I turn the truck off. The truck has to remain off until the truck completely powers down. This will usually require you sitting there for 30 secs to a min before the push button icon disappears from the instrument display. You can then start the truck up and you will get sound back for other radio sources and often you can click back over to Sirius/XM and it will work again. But every once in awhile it will lead back to the sirius/xm loading screen then you will have to start the process over again. But in my experience so far this seems to be my fix which is dumb to have to do but it works.

Tellsch

Reaction score
I had this problem for the first time once 3 months ago on my 20. It hasn't happened again until this week. Today was the 3rd time this week!

I really do think it is a software issue. Hopefully they are releasing a fix soon. I don't think I want to roll the dice on a new head unit from the dealer as everything else works perfectly fine.

LV426

Reaction score
I'll post this again, both SiriusXM & Uconnect claim there is an issue with this radio.

As a side note, I'm not trying to bust balls and disparage the truck, I am however incredibly pissed that they are not properly supporting this radio. The truck revolves around the radio and down the road if its not properly supported we will have more problems, guaranteed. Multimedia devices like these NEED updates, patch/fix, etc... if it's a HW issue then they need to tweak the software to better support the faulty hardware, if that's not possible then they need to give us new radios with better HW.

My Radio works but it's glitchy & performs poorly occasionally. I'm not going to waste my time with the dealer and have them throw new radios in if its the same model. And for the folks that claim to not have issues with this particular model, I don't believe it (sorry)... They either don't notice the issues or don't use the radio and features enough to cause them (or I guess they posses some miracle combination of truck that expels the glitches).

Attachments

• xmsaps2.JPG
    xmsaps2.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 17
  • uconnect2.PNG
    uconnect2.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 16

Tellsch

Reaction score
Just curious - long shot - do the guys that have the problem have a USB stick or something plugged in?

Since I have had the truck, I got a small microSD reader and have left it plugged into USB2 24x7. I have had uConnect lock up multiple times this week and, coincidentally, the reader no longer works in the truck. I tried a different reader and it does work. Not saying this is the cause of the lockup, but the timing seems right. I will try having nothing plugged into the USB (at least nothing but a phone) to see if this helps. I know it is a long shot, but we'll see.

LV426

Reaction score
No USB Stick for me, Just android phones and regardless whether one is plugged in or not I still notice poor performance and glitches occasionally. It would not surprise me though if some glitches are caused by the phones being plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread