5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
So that tells me the dealer knows the intermittent pauses is not a radio issue, rather something else. Based on what everyone is saying on the JL Wrangler forum, I bet it is a camera issue where dealerships are waiting for an official recall from FCA to replace cameras - but no one wants to cover it since its expensive.
Star Case manager is the one that told me the new radio would only fix the tone and not the pauses. My experiences with case managers has not been good. They rarely had a clue what the hell was going on and I felt were fairly useless. I tend to think my pauses will return and I would not be surprised if it was the camera all along. Had plenty of issues with the backup camera. Will keep crossing my fingers on the pauses not returning. Maybe it will help to keep my fingers warm. It has been way below average temperatures here only 32 degrees today (Northeastern Wisconsin) and normally it supposed to be in the upper 40's this time of year. Next couple of days they are saying 20's for highs. That is why I am so surprised it has not returned yet.

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
My cutting out issue hasn't came back to haunt me this year yet, but tonight is the first real cool night, so we shall see... However, every time my truck did this last winter, I noticed that the audio cutting in and out did not affect my handsfree phone calls. I cant remember if they were through Carplay, or bluetooth, but they still came through with no audio drop outs. and of course when the call finished and went back to playing the previous source, the drop outs came back. Could this be something for them to look at. I would think that if part of the hardware was faulty, such as the amplifier or deck that ALL audio sources should be experiencing the issue. Unless calls are routed through the amplifier/Uconnect interface box with a different priority, or through a different muting and or audio IC inside the unit.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Cutting in/out returned again this morning, even with my theory of leaving the heat cranked before shutting the truck down.

Going to push hard at the dealer. Either radio and/or camera needs to be replaced NOW.

@RamCares I live in Canada, so I doubt your service can assist. I'll be attending Village Chrysler in Ajax, Ontario.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Struck again at 430pm. 44 degrees outside. 35 min ride home in silence.

When it happens I reset the battery (disconnect and reconnect). Uses a 10mm socket. I’d rather take the 1min to reset it than not have any audio.

@RamCares what is the status of this issue with the engineers? We’re at over one year with this issue and no resolution.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you can add my truck to the list exhibiting this issue. First day under 20F and when I got in the truck noticed the seat and steering wheel heaters weren't on...then I turned the radio up a little bit and noticed the "skipping" of sound(FM, BT, XM), and then went to reverse into my parking spot at work and the backup camera didn't work.
Didn't get enough heat into it on my 20 min drive to work to fix anything.

I'll be mentioning it to my dealer and see what they say.

Jpace

Reaction score
First cold weather here for me, 32 today. And radio / backup camera issue is back. No issues at all all summer. Last winter had multiple trips to dealership, wasted time, rental cars, aggravation. They replaced the radio (screen) after several times in with no change. No fix. Only thing that "fixed" it last winter was when they disconnected my rear camera. All winter no backup cam. Then I finally got sick of that and told them to reconnect it. It was warm by then and no issue since until today. So...cold weather and rear camera. How can Ram not figure this out. I am contacting dealer tomorrow and will pursue lemon law if not fixed. @RamCares

Last edited:

d_THRILL

Reaction score
b. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery or pull the radio fuse - this also makes you have to go through a few procedures in order to get your settings back (after connecting the battery and starting the truck, shutdown the truck and close the door, then restart the truck, voila your theme settings among other things are back).
When it happens I reset the battery (disconnect and reconnect). Uses a 10mm socket. I’d rather take the 1min to reset it than not have any audio.

@RIC3BOY does it take a while for your saved settings to reload? Any other things to watch out for?

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
@RIC3BOY does it take a while for your saved settings to reload? Any other things to watch out for?

The first time you put the truck into RUN (without starting the motor), it will show a different theme and settings (in my case, it showed the Limited theme instead of the Rebel theme). I just place the ignition back to OFF, open and close the door. This will make the truck think you shut down. Now, place the ignition back to RUN, and you should see your settings reappear. If they don't, just repeat the process above. Sometimes it takes 1-2 tries.

As a note - the only settings I saw that DID NOT change back are:
- equalizer settings
- time settings (12h vs 24h)
- HVAC settings
- which radio station you last left it at - your presets stay intact though

FWIW - I managed to confirm the part number for the rear camera. Since I don't have surround view, the rear camera replacement is super cheap ($100 CDN). If the dealer doesn't change the camera, I will do it myself.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Out of frustration and lack of patience at this point - I purchased an OEM rear camera (part number 68414414AA) from the dealership.

Went to pick it up this morning, but spoke with a Service Advisor regarding my issues. Considering that previous visits resulted in "could not replicate the issue" or "could not diagnose the issue", that I am beyond the reasonable limit of patience (over 1 year of issues), that the truck was still under warranty, and that I was serious enough to purchase the replacement part out of pocket - I requested that the Service Manager if they could replace the camera free of charge, out of good faith.

I have an appointment next week for the replacement. Will update this thread with results, and on-going results as this is the only beginning of cold weather.

2xs

Reaction score
I have also had the same issue with the audio pausing when the temperature was cold out. Happened last weekend so I took the truck in in the beginning of this week and they updated the 8.4 to software version 18.23.29. The next day, temps dropped to 28 degrees and I was happy to have no issues. My joy was short lived as yesterday the problem was back. I drove straight to the dealership, left the truck running so they could see (& hear) the problem. They kept the truck for the day to test it, and are currently waiting on a replacement backup camera to see if that will solve the issue. This week will be warmer in the Carolina's, so I might not see the issue again until the temperatures drop back down.
2019 Laramie, 8.4 Screen with Nav, built Oct 2018.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
First cold weather here for me, 32 today. And radio / backup camera issue is back. No issues at all all summer. Last winter had multiple trips to dealership, wasted time, rental cars, aggravation. They replaced the radio (screen) after several times in with no change. No fix. Only thing that "fixed" it last winter was when they disconnected my rear camera. All winter no backup cam. Then I finally got sick of that and told them to reconnect it. It was warm by then and no issue since until today. So...cold weather and rear camera. How can Ram not figure this out. I am contacting dealer tomorrow and will pursue lemon law if not fixed. @RamCares
I have the same problem with the back up camera and cooler weather (40 degrees). It would randomly stop working for 1 hr to 4 hrs.

2xs

Reaction score
Dealer mentioned that they were told the wrong part number backup camera was originally installed. They replaced the backup camera. It's supposed to be in the thirties tomorrow, I'm hoping the problem is gone, but time will tell.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Dealer mentioned that they were told the wrong part number backup camera was originally installed. They replaced the backup camera. It's supposed to be in the thirties tomorrow, I'm hoping the problem is gone, but time will tell.

When I ordered mine from the parts department, they confirmed my VIN first before looking up the part. I also did the same on a Mopar parts discount website. There are different backup cameras depending on if you have the regular rear view or the surround view.

My appointment is on Tuesday, and it’s well below freezing here in Toronto. A few users on the Wrangler forum who had the exact same issues as us had their cameras replaced, which resolved their issues.

Fingers crossed.

xdrugfreex

Reaction score
Total shot in the dark, but I “insulated” the inside of the tailgate around the camera and handle connections. It was in the low 40s this morning and no issues. Of course, could return.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Total shot in the dark, but I “insulated” the inside of the tailgate around the camera and handle connections. It was in the low 40s this morning and no issues. Of course, could return.

Let us know how it goes - I might have to take that route if the replacement camera solution doesn't work. Appointment is tomorrow morning, so I should know within the week if it worked. I basically get the issue at least once a day with the weather we've been having here in Toronto.

How did you insulate the camera?

Users who are viewing this thread