5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 12.1" & 8.4" - Intermittent Pauses in Audio for All Sources

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Update on my case. Getting my case escalated to a Star case and engineers being involved. Talked with Uconnect and case manager said there is a software update coming out that should address most of the issues people are having. (She would not tell me exactly what issues would be resolved with audio). Truck at dealer and they are trying to duplicate all my audio issues which are....
1. Parksense like tone randomly coming over speakers.
2. Pauses in audio all sources.
3. No audio at all on any sources.

Also several other issues (Recall on brake pedal, chewbacca brake noise, vibration in gas pedal, parksense rear brake assist randomly shutting off, possible tire issues). I don't know why some people are being told it is hardware and some are being told it is software, but hopefuly the they just fix the problem no matter what the cause. Good grief lol.

patsfan

Reaction score
Ironically mine has been fine for most of this month. Good thing because no one from the dealer or FCA has been in contact with me.

Go Blue

Reaction score
Get N Dirty, don't get too optimistic about FCA opening a Star case on your truck. Mine had a Star case and software update and still........not fixed! Audio still cuts out almost on a daily basis. My dealer told me a few of the STAR engineers are rock stars but most of them are just rocks, lol.

I've been on the Jeep Wrangler forums, they're experiencing the same issues we are (same radios). One guy got the updated radio and he said its still cutting out. I'm interested in hearing if the people on this forum getting new radios actually fix the problem.

I'm really angry about this whole thing. Its been over 4 months now I've been dealing with the problem and just getting the run around from FCA. My dealer's been telling me for months now that a software update to fix this is right around the corner but still nothing! Its happening to me almost on a daily basis but I think some of that has to do with the temps. I'm really interested in filing a class action lawsuit against FCA. This is complete bs. We need to band together and make our voices heard!

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Believe me, I don't have my hopes up too much about this situation. I doubt the dealer will get all of my issues fixed. I had to jump through hoops over the past 6 months to even get my dealer to take me seriously and keep the truck to try to duplicate. I have also had issues with Ram cares not returning phone calls. Good thing for me though; I like to sink my teeth in and will bug the Sh** out of people until they fix the situation. Of all of my radio issues, I hope my Parksense like tone at least gets resolved from this latest dealer visit. This tone happens the most frequently of the three radio concerns and is so annoying that the thought of putting a sledge hammer through the dash has crossed my mind. I love the truck when working as it supposed to but that tone is like a dog whistle to me and when it comes on I like to growl, bite and snap at everyone around. I wish I had to just complain about finger prints on a screen or what to do about stickers on the back side of a sun visor (like some of the threads on this forum, what a joke).

Last edited:

Jpace

Reaction score
Back at the dealership again today. Screen replacement didn't fix issues so now the tech said a service bulletin states to disconnect the rear camera and this will solve radio issue and engineers are "working on a fix". So now I have no backup camera and we shall see if it actually does anything to help radio issue. Not holding my breath.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Back at the dealership again today. Screen replacement didn't fix issues so now the tech said a service bulletin states to disconnect the rear camera and this will solve radio issue and engineers are "working on a fix". So now I have no backup camera and we shall see if it actually does anything to help radio issue. Not holding my breath.
It doesn't fix it. My truck has been in the shop since Tuesday. They thought this rear camera theory would work. They confirmed it doesn't. They're trying other things presently. I'll know more when I get my truck back and update this thread.

1997pgt

Reaction score
I didn't forget about you guys, unfortunately engineering was down waiting for me to drop my truck off and the morning i was dropping it off some idiot decided to sideswipe a few cars, pass me in the grass median then brake check the crap out of me so i punted their Dodge Dart with my truck, thankfully i was good and they were charged with criminal and traffic citations and had to be towed, i was able to drive home, looks terrible but is all cosmetic minus the active grille shutters which decided to turn into darts for the cars behind me :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 27

d_THRILL

Reaction score
I didn't forget about you guys, unfortunately engineering was down waiting for me to drop my truck off and the morning i was dropping it off some idiot decided to sideswipe a few cars, pass me in the grass median then brake check the crap out of me so i punted their Dodge Dart with my truck, thankfully i was good and they were charged with criminal and traffic citations and had to be towed, i was able to drive home, looks terrible but is all cosmetic minus the active grille shutters which decided to turn into darts for the cars behind me :cry:
Very sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Currently at the dealer for the recall repairs, and brought up the issue with the radio cutting in/out. The technician actually came out and spoke to me, and wanted more clarification. After confirming what the issues were, he came back and said that there was an actual memo from FCA of those exact issues. At this time, there is no fix, but the tech confirmed engineers are working on it.

He did mention that the current “work-around” is to disconnect the rear camera. Looking at the JL Wrangler forums, this seems to be the common temporary fix. FCA probably knows it’s a camera issue. The tech said most likely there will be a campaign (recall) for them to replace either the camera, harness and/or the module that controls it.

Of course, no ETA.

Jpace

Reaction score
Been a couple weeks since they disconnected my rear camera. No radio issues after the disconnect. Hopefully they come up with a solution soon because not having the backup cam is a pain.

RedRig

Reaction score
Greetings to all of you guys on this forum, I just got finished reading all ten pages and noticed that some of you are hitting the 6 month mark with the only band aid being disconnecting the reverse camera as well as some of you having your trucks dissected, yet you guys stay on the hunt for a solution, which takes an incredible amount of patience and perseverance, so hats off to all of you.

I myself have a 2019 Laramie sport package with the level 2 u-connect (8.4 with nav) and 4100 miles on it. I bought this truck after my white 2019 bighorn was rear ended and totaled by a 3500 with only 1000 miles on it, I did not have this problem with the bighorn, however it did come from the factory out of alignment. (sad day for my first brand new truck) but anyways I got new car replacement and traded up to the Laramie. I got the truck in mid November about when this forum began and I have only had two "silent rides" where my radio just shut out completely on all sources, all audio including the active noise cancelation cut out and I could hear all the road noise, after 45 minutes of flicking the steering wheel source button and radio source button all of a sudden I had sound again randomly. That was in December and hasn't happened since, I do not recall having any camera issues other than my "back up lines" not being there one time I put it in reverse. I live in south Louisiana and it was around 45 degrees outside those days.

HOWEVER, my real problems began shortly after my silent rides in December, within a week or two after that my truck decided it wanted to get possessed by some kind of demon and intermittently (I'd say around every 20-30 seconds for a few minutes) it would begin to what I call "rapid fire" through the radio sources. I would be listening to my music on my iPhone through carplay or Bluetooth and out of the blue it just starts shuffling continuously through sources for about 10-15 seconds then stop, and then a minute later do the same thing. This happens completely at random and sometimes I even noticed if I hit a bump that shook the truck just right (like railroad tracks) it would set it off again, THIS HAPPENED AT ALL TEMPERATURES (38F-85F) and around every other day if not every day on my trips to and from work. I haven't had a silent ride again since December but this poltergeist crap is just as frustrating, id actually rather the silence to be honest, one day I just turned the radio off I was so frustrated. I disconnected the battery once for a reset nd it solved absolutely nothing as you guys already know, and did the same thing the next day I drove it.

Anyways I haven't been to the dealer yet because I know how new gen vehicles go through their "bug stage" and decided id take to the forums on this and glad I did before giving my truck up for weeks at a time to be dissected or aimlessly having parts replaced. If any of you have experienced anything similar or have heard of anything similar please let me know so I know I don't have the only demon truck.

On a side note this second brand new ram of mine was backed into the bed by a friends dad, to repair the damage the bed had to come off (aka camera was disconnected) I just got the truck back Monday and no radio problems yet, and the camera works fine. Also I have not experienced the radio cutting in and out like the original video posted on this forum, or the blue screen, just the exorcism stuff.

Last edited:

Nucknfutz

Reaction score
I too was at the dealer for two minor recalls and explained the issues with the intermittent audio. However my truck hasn't done it in over a month as temperatures have warmed up..., and they said the same thing, that they are working on a fix (unknown when it will be released), and that unplugging the camera may help...however, I have noticed that this thread has quietened right down since temperatures have started to warm up?

patsfan

Reaction score
I too was at the dealer for two minor recalls and explained the issues with the intermittent audio. However my truck hasn't done it in over a month as temperatures have warmed up..., and they said the same thing, that they are working on a fix (unknown when it will be released), and that unplugging the camera may help...however, I have noticed that this thread has quietened right down since temperatures have started to warm up?
Same here. Mine hasn't done it in almost two months. The dealer called me a week ago and wanted to considered it fixed. I said no because nothing you have done has "fixed" it. It seems to have gone away on it's own for now. Let's hope that next November this doesn't come back.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Don't let any dealership tell you these radio problems are fixed. Keep after them. Most of my radio problems have also stopped. I again was told it is software related by the Ucconnect team this past Friday for all of these issues in this thread. No matter if it is software, hardware or interference from aliens from outer space; do not let them off the hook. Sink your teeth in and keep complaining. I do still get the bloody Parksense tone blasting over my speakers though (definetly not software related, see my other thread). I have that issue in the general discussion part of the forum.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't let any dealership tell you these radio problems are fixed. Keep after them. Most of my radio problems have also stopped. I again was told it is software related by the Ucconnect team this past Friday for all of these issues in this thread. No matter if it is software, hardware or interference from aliens from outer space; do not let them off the hook. Sink your teeth in and keep complaining. I do still get the bloody Parksense tone blasting over my speakers though (definetly not software related, see my other thread). I have that issue in the general discussion part of the forum.
Just had my radio swapped to try and resolve the remote commands failure issue. Low and behold now I am experiencing the intermittent audio problem and I cannot save presets. I also can't connect my phone to Bluetooth. It says "Connection unsuccessful. Make sure Connect is turned on and in range". I am so p[issed as my old radio worked fine except for the remote command issue. Thanks FCA. Six weeks at the dealer and you say a radio swap is the fix and no look what you did. I can't even use the radio as the intermittent pauses are every few seconds. Anyone @RamCares out there?

d_THRILL

Reaction score
The frequency of the intermittent pauses has dramatically decreased over the past two months for me. It's not to say that I haven't gotten them over the past two months, but not at the rate I was having them prior to that. In fact, I haven't had it hit me since March 28th. While I'm happy this is the case presently, I know for certain that nothing was done to make this a permanent fix and that it's likely a matter of time before it strikes again. I'm not aware of any OTA updates that have been pushed through. I still have an open Star case and have been communicating back and forth with my rep. about wanting a correct diagnosis and fix before signing off on this issue. I will, of course, keep this thread updated.

What is everyone else experiencing presently? Curious to know....

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
The frequency of the intermittent pauses has dramatically decreased over the past two months for me. It's not to say that I haven't gotten them over the past two months, but not at the rate I was having them prior to that. In fact, I haven't had it hit me since March 28th. While I'm happy this is the case presently, I know for certain that nothing was done to make this a permanent fix and that it's likely a matter of time before it strikes again. I'm not aware of any OTA updates that have been pushed through. I still have an open Star case and have been communicating back and forth with my rep. about wanting a correct diagnosis and fix before signing off on this issue. I will, of course, keep this thread updated.

What is everyone else experiencing presently? Curious to know....

Ditto.

Although I know I still have the issue, which still happens, it doesn’t happen at the same frequency as before.

We all know it has something to do with the rear camera (see the JL Wrangler forum links attached to the OP). I’m starting to think it has something to do with the camera and temperature/water/humidity.

I noticed the frequency was much higher during the winter months, especially the times during sloppy/wet weather, or when humidity levels were higher.

Now, with the warmer weather it’s happening less often. I know we originally ruled out weather/temperatures being the culprit, but it is certainly a coincidence.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Update on case. I had the tone again this week and drove the truck over to the dealer so they could hear it too. After several days got an update that it is my radio causing the problem and finally was issued a new radio. I was supposed to get a new radio several months ago and then Ram changed their mind and refused to send one out to dealership. I was told it is definitely the radio, but I fear that even after a new radio it will reappear. Also got an update that Ram refused to buy back. Thank Ram. Being told that you are the only Ram owner to have this problem, but yet refuse to take back the product really makes a customer feel appreciated and makes me think that I will be well taken care of for the remainder of my warranty. I hope the fix works (at least for my tone). I am really nervous that if the problem tone is resolved, the problems in this thread will become worse for me and or develop a new problem. Thanks for everyone posting with updates.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
FINALLY!!! Good news guys... Im told by my Star rep today that a TSB has been released today addressing this very issue. I only have the TSB number right now which is 08-009-19 REV. A. Hopefully this is the end of this. I’ll report back after I know more. Of course, if you find the actual pdf of this TSB please post it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread