5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag / Throttle response

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

the more reports, the more likely a fix

Reactions: c3k

funtrucker

Reaction score
mine lags alot. I am really surprised. I thought it was just my learning about a turbo delay. I am considering a tune update reflash to see if it will help.

Rowie

Reaction score
Reading this thread I was wondering whether the gear ratio made a difference but I see people with 3.92 having issues. Now I’d love to know if there is truly an electronic way that a dealer might know about a pedal commander or whether they’re just looking to see what reaction they get. Following...

Pristine1

Reaction score
Reading this thread I was wondering whether the gear ratio made a difference but I see people with 3.92 having issues. Now I’d love to know if there is truly an electronic way that a dealer might know about a pedal commander or whether they’re just looking to see what reaction they get. Following...

3.92’s here and mine feels good. I bet some of these complaints come from people who are new to trucks. There is a learning curve to driving trucks because they won’t drive like nippy little cars. I just drove an E class coupe last week. If you want daily driven response, go rock one of those lol. It’s got the now not later response. I’m sure some people are having real throttle lag issues but some may be experiencing the non hot rod response you’ll get driving a truck. Anxious drivers are going to notice it the most. What felt like 5 seconds was 1-2. Ask your passenger when this happens and see how long they thought it lagged. It may just be a driving style change. I see at least half the people on the road that could use one 😝

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm wondering why some guys claim theirs are fine, and others like me who've had 15-20 trucks over the years know that there's a problem.

I've had two software updates over the last 12 months including the newest one that is supposed to be the Holy Grail, and my truck is still as sloppy as it gets. Very non-linear throttle response and performance. If you drive it like a 90 year old man headed to McD's to get coffee you can live with it. If you drive normally it's frustrating as hell.

I can't believe that these things are coming off the assembly line totally different from one another, so obviously some guys are new to trucks and don't recognize the issue here while others who know how a powertrain should operate in a vehicle like this can instantly see the issue.

At this point I'm giving up on a factory solution. I'll wait for the GDE tune. They will actually solve the problem.

Uga40

Reaction score
I'm wondering why some guys claim theirs are fine, and others like me who've had 15-20 trucks over the years know that there's a problem.

I've had two software updates over the last 12 months including the newest one that is supposed to be the Holy Grail, and my truck is still as sloppy as it gets. Very non-linear throttle response and performance. If you drive it like a 90 year old man headed to McD's to get coffee you can live with it. If you drive normally it's frustrating as hell.

I can't believe that these things are coming off the assembly line totally different from one another, so obviously some guys are new to trucks and don't recognize the issue here while others who know how a powertrain should operate in a vehicle like this can instantly see the issue.

At this point I'm giving up on a factory solution. I'll wait for the GDE tune. They will actually solve the problem.
This is probably me. I don't see an issue, but I do drive it easy for sure and this is my first truck. Still though, if a press the pedal the most delay I ever get is a half second and mine was built on 10/19 and is stock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is my first diesel, but I’ve had 10 different full sized trucks. There is definitely a noticeable lag. I didn’t bother taking my to the dealer. I also am waiting for the GDE tune.

Pristine1

Reaction score

Exactly that. You know you’re having a problem. Across any brand there are inconsistencies like this. Same thing with the 18 Ford I had. Some people had same issues as others, some did not. The majority of the trucks could be fine but with so many being built a small percentage becomes 1000’s of trucks not making it out like the best of them. Sucks you guys are dealing with this. In a perfect world they would all come off the line perfect but beer time gets close and whoops! Hopefully GDE gets you dialed in. I can only imagine it will be night and day better with how well their tunes have been for eco diesels. If that doesn’t get it right, maybe there’s a bad batch of parts in the mix. Your guess is as good as mine. If it was bad enough I’d want a do over.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried an aftermarket air filter or an AEM drop in filter?
The newer trucks these days are built for efficiency so the factory filter shouldn’t be chocked up in stock form. The eco boost Ford’s had around 500hp worth of flow. 5 star recommended nothing other than their tune.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The newer trucks these days are built for efficiency so the factory filter shouldn’t be chocked up in stock form. The eco boost Ford’s had around 500hp worth of flow. 5 star recommended nothing other than their tune.
I have had several vehicles, including a turbo that had noticeable throttle response improvement after I removed the paper OEM filter.

Just thought I would inject that information into the discussion since I have not heard anyone comment about it.

I have heard plenty of comments about the Pedal Commander though. o_O (with varied results)

Lights Out

Reaction score
RP, i have a K&N air filter and it did pretty much no better than stock. kept it only because of the reusable factor being able to clean it yourself.. The lag in a 50K truck is not acceptable. had it flashed a few times and did really nothing. reset pedal few times, did not that much.. Pedal Commander did help but threw codes and ABS, Traction control light, no 4x4 light and so on.. PC said to install the update and i was done with them and decided to order the banks pedal monster, which is on the way. I will report back to the brothers good, bad or indifferent.

Reactions: c3k

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RP, i have a K&N air filter and it did pretty much no better than stock. kept it only because of the reusable factor being able to clean it yourself.. The lag in a 50K truck is not acceptable. had it flashed a few times and did really nothing. reset pedal few times, did not that much.. Pedal Commander did help but threw codes and ABS, Traction control light, no 4x4 light and so on.. PC said to install the update and i was done with them and decided to order the banks pedal monster, which is on the way. I will report back to the brothers good, bad or indifferent.
Is the K&N a drop in filter or did you change out the FIPK?

Did you remove the factory charcoal pre-filter?

Last edited:

Lights Out

Reaction score
left charcoal alone.. kn was same exact fit as oem

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know what guys are referring to when they talk about a "charcoal filter". I've had my air intake apart more times than I can remember and I've never seen any filter other than the paper OE filter in the air box.

BTW, I've run the stock intake pipe, the T&S Speed Shop intake pipe, the airbox snorkel, no airbox snorkel, etc. It makes zero difference. Air flow into the engine is not the problem. Throttle programming combined with the way the PCM uses the backpressure valve in the tail pipe is the issue. It has become obvious that only an aftermarket tune is going to make these trucks drive properly.

funtrucker

Reaction score
This is my first diesel, but I’ve had 10 different full sized trucks. There is definitely a noticeable lag. I didn’t bother taking my to the dealer. I also am waiting for the GDE tune.
awaiting gde tune

whedgepeth

Reaction score
I've had my 2020 Ecodiesel for about 6 months and overall I really love the truck. The styling, interior and ride are exceptional, however I absolutely can't stand the lack of throttle response from a standstill. Response is just fine from a rolling start or at highway speeds but it's really bad from a standstill, especially when the engine is cold. I actually think it's dangerous at times too. I have a pedal commander installed but it's just a bandaid and FAR from a cure. There is a ton of discussion about this issue with the gen 2 engine, however not a lot on gen 3. How many of you are having this issue? Any solutions / workarounds? Any news of a GDE 2020 tune? Looking forward to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I also have a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel 4X4 which I purchased in November of 2020. I've installed the Throttle Commander as well but that doesn't help when it cold and your taking off from a standstill or sometimes from a slow roll the truck simply doesn't react to the throttle input, this almost cost me a really bad accident I couldn't get out of my own way to vehicles had to dodge me a take evasive action to avoid running over me, it took what seemed like 2-3 sec before it final accelerated than it about snapped my head off.

Croaker

Reaction score
I have 50,000 miles on mine and have noticed two types of lag/hesitation.

First…there is sluggish acceleration when the engine is cold and lasts until it reaches 150 degrees. After the engine warms up Beyond 150 degrees there is no slow acceleration. I believe this may be intentional to prevent damage from fast acceleration while the engine is still cold.
I am in California so it only takes a couple of minutes to warm up. I bet you guys in colder climates have a much longer warm-up period.

Second…I had a hesitation when accelerating from a stop (hot or cold). This didn’t bother me. I got used to driving it this way. But a recent recall…software performance update…fixed the hesitation.
Now I have to get used to driving without the hesitation. 😂

Last edited:

Blackhat

Reaction score
Any news about the Banks Pedal Monster? Did it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online