5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag / Throttle response

Lights Out

Reaction score
Yes it works. very very similar to the PC but havent had any codes or lights yet. i did only get it after i lifted the truck 3.5 w RL. so its hard to compare w PC bc the it drives different with the lift. seems like a much better unit that the PC and i believe they are the same price. but again. its seems like they do the exact same thing TBH

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im ready to get my pedal monster and deringer ... main reason is i get lag when i try to accelerate and not really a lag where the reason is its a slow car but its legit a delay before rpm kick up ... like i count 2/3 seconds at least

D-dub

Reaction score
I have to agree. There is definitely a delay/lag in response between the pedal and the engine. I noticed it too. Coming from a hemi which was very responsive to a eco diesel is night and day difference. You have to adjust your driving because of it. I'm going to try that pedal calibration that a member here suggested and see if that helps. Hoping Stellantis will offer some sort of update in the future to help correct this.

Croaker

Reaction score
I guess the Recall VA7 is not available for the new Ecodiesels?…but it sure cured the throttle response (and cold sluggish pedal) on my 2016 truck.

I was putting this off because my truck ran fine except for the lag. Wish I had done it earlier. My truck runs like a new vehicle now.

D-dub

Reaction score
I tried the pedal calibration like another member mentioned. I didn't feel or observe a difference. Just for the craps a giggles of it I turned off traction control and put on tow haul mode. It seems that may have done the trick. I'll drive around some more and see if it really helped.

Blackhat

Reaction score
I actually went to the Web Site nhtsa.dot.gov website today and filed a complaint, Damn near got got hit in the Drivers door today because the Truck just would not go..... It was ridiculous. I mean I did try to whole shot into Traffic but I did this a Thousand times in My 2018 Hemi and never had a Scare like today!

Blackhat

Reaction score
If you have to floor it to merge into traffic you probably shouldn't be pulling out.
Thanks Captain Obvious, It's a Stop sign turning left or Right onto a Major 2 lane Highway and during rush hour you could sit there for ever and wait for a completely clear Exit with cars piling up behind you from people leaving work. So sit there and P*** off a hundred People behind you or go when you get a chance There's a petition to add a Light but it has been in limbo for Years....So Sometimes You have to Accelerate with force to merge in. I just didn't expect to not go when I expected to go

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Captain Obvious, It's a Stop sign turning left or Right onto a Major 2 lane Highway and during rush hour you could sit there for ever and wait for a completely clear Exit with cars piling up behind you from people leaving work. So sit there and P*** off a hundred People behind you or go when you get a chance There's a petition to add a Light but it has been in limbo for Years....So Sometimes You have to Accelerate with force to merge in. I just didn't expect to not go when I expected to go
lol trust me i know what you mean in long island geting on these round abouts onto the highway everyones going 70/80 and you are geting into highway at a complete stop ... you need to hit that pedal ☠️

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
If you have to floor it to merge into traffic you probably shouldn't be pulling out.
There are so many self appointed traffic police on this site.

If you have to police people's driving on the internet, you probably shouldn't log in.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are so many self appointed traffic police on this site.

If you have to police people's driving on the internet, you probably shouldn't log in.
If you have to police people's posts on a forum, you probably shouldn't log on.

We can keep going if you'd like.

D-dub

Reaction score
So far what I've found/noticed that really helped the delay was to turn off stability control. The truck now responds to what my right foot tells it. Not a permanent fix or be all to end all, but it worked on my truck.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The TSB eliminated 95% of the delay for me. When the engine is cold it seems to be worse.
Theres always going to be a minor amount of turbo lag. It's a small engine pushing a lot of boost (20ish psi I believe)

D-dub

Reaction score
When did the TSB come out? I'm gonna have to contact the dealer and find out if my truck received the update. If it had not, then I'm gonna schedule it.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any significant lag, but FWIW, I've been driving using both feet, with the left foot for braking, for the past couple of years. I think that might help mitigate some of this lag people are getting. Typically, it takes at least 1/10 of a second to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator and vice versa, and that 1/10 of a second can make a difference in your reaction time. It does take practice though if you want to see if it helps.

Funeman

Reaction score
Nearly t-boned by another truck today pulling left out of my neighborhood with my daughter in the car. Plenty of distance when I pressed the gas to enter the lane but the truck just inched along regardless of punching the accelerator. Fortunately the on-coming truck had sufficient time to slow down (and flip me off) as I sat screaming at my truck to &*^%ing move. After 2-3 seconds of high rpms and no movement something kicked in and the truck lurched forward with full power.

Dealer found no codes and "wasn't able to reproduce the event" so I suppose I'm just making &**%^ up in FCA's eyes. Fortunately we're in the middle of a horrible shortage of vehicles so I shouldn't have any problem trading this thing for literally anything else. Unfortunate because I truly love the truck, but until RAM acknowledges there's a friggin lag issue, this will be my last Ram.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nearly t-boned by another truck today pulling left out of my neighborhood with my daughter in the car. Plenty of distance when I pressed the gas to enter the lane but the truck just inched along regardless of punching the accelerator. Fortunately the on-coming truck had sufficient time to slow down (and flip me off) as I sat screaming at my truck to &*^%ing move. After 2-3 seconds of high rpms and no movement something kicked in and the truck lurched forward with full power.

Dealer found no codes and "wasn't able to reproduce the event" so I suppose I'm just making &**%^ up in FCA's eyes. Fortunately we're in the middle of a horrible shortage of vehicles so I shouldn't have any problem trading this thing for literally anything else. Unfortunate because I truly love the truck, but until RAM acknowledges there's a friggin lag issue, this will be my last Ram.
File a complaint with the feds.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Toss an NHTSA complaint in.

(My 2021 has been more responsive than any other diesel I've owned (4? others). I'm not doubting you: just sharing my personal experience. Your 2020 may need the update.)

Users who are viewing this thread