5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag / Throttle response

mia389

Reaction score
Ive been turning in middle of intersections pushing the gas yelling “Go Moth!$&”:$:””” as cars are approaching. I swear this is going to kill me someday. Between this random no go when you press the throttle and engine vibration I get, I wish I went with the hemi. 2,000 miles on mine now.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive been turning in middle of intersections pushing the gas yelling “Go Moth!$&”:$:””” as cars are approaching. I swear this is going to kill me someday. Between this random no go when you press the throttle and engine vibration I get, I wish I went with the hemi. 2,000 miles on mine now.

The thing that blows my mind is that Ram just came through a few years of hell with the EcoDiesel and TONS of complaints from owners about drivability being ruined after FCA did the "emissions flash" to them. So they decide to make an 80% new version of the EcoDiesel and start over from scratch....and what do they do? They release it to market with the SAME drivability issues that the old engine had. It just blows my mind. It's indicative of pure stupidity and ignorance on the part of the automaker.

I'd continue to gripe, but I have to leave now. My wife's Jeep Cherokee that we bought new 3 years ago has been drinking oil faster than gasoline and I finally got a Customer Satisfaction Notification in the mail yesterday that they've got a "fix" for the issue.

I love Ram and Jeep vehicles, but they sure do give people a lot of reasons to switch brands.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either I don't experience this lag or I drive
different.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Same. I get occasional lag when slowing down and then accelerating, but never lag from a stop or anything I would consider dangerous.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trust me, I know what EcoD lag is as I complained and suffered through the post AEM lag for 6 months with my Gen 2 until I resolved it. My Gen 3 runs great and does not suffer from it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there room for improvement with the stock tuning? Absolutely. Will FCA change anything? Probably not.

I'll be getting a GDE tune when my warranty is up.

Even with the minor lag, I still love the diesel. Had a 2019 Hemi and traded it in and don't regret it one bit. The lack of low end torque, constant downshifting, and abysmal fuel economy got annoying.

TacticalCucumber

Reaction score
Hey I just posted this in another thread but my wife noticed something interesting about the throttle lag - when we leave the truck in "Aero" mode (air suspension), the throttle lag is minimized; when it is in "Normal" ride height, the throttle lag returns. Anyone else notice that on theirs?

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I’ve had great luck with the pedal commander. It’s expensive at $300 but it’s a totally different truck. I have the EcoDiesel. Normally run on Sport or Sport +1

Fyfer

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ED with just over 17,000kms now and experience this throttle delay. From a dead stop it's a noticeable 1-2 second delay, especially if taking off full throttle. From a roll it's mostly ok. However, there are times when I swear I'm going to get t-boned when attempting to merge into traffic. It's literally a dead pedal for 2-3 seconds and then suddenly takes off full throttle. It's definitely a safety issue.

I took it into the dealership where they did a throttle relearn. This briefly helped the delay from a standing start, but did nothing for the random rolling dead throttle issue.

I have noticed a lack of power in colder weather but nothing to do with throttle delay. It just feels a bit sluggish.

I have a friend with a 2020 Cummings that experienced the same issues. He's tuned his and it's a completely different truck. Responsive as it should be.

The part that really pisses me off is a test drove a 2019 Classic ED that drove wonderful and would even spin the tires from a standstill.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ED with just over 17,000kms now and experience this throttle delay. From a dead stop it's a noticeable 1-2 second delay, especially if taking off full throttle. From a roll it's mostly ok. However, there are times when I swear I'm going to get t-boned when attempting to merge into traffic. It's literally a dead pedal for 2-3 seconds and then suddenly takes off full throttle. It's definitely a safety issue.

I took it into the dealership where they did a throttle relearn. This briefly helped the delay from a standing start, but did nothing for the random rolling dead throttle issue.

I have noticed a lack of power in colder weather but nothing to do with throttle delay. It just feels a bit sluggish.

I have a friend with a 2020 Cummings that experienced the same issues. He's tuned his and it's a completely different truck. Responsive as it should be.

The part that really pisses me off is a test drove a 2019 Classic ED that drove wonderful and would even spin the tires from a standstill.
Check out the other thread about the TSB..makes a big difference.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either I don't experience this lag or I drive
different.

You just got a unicorn. Because there is no possible way to drive in a fashion that wouldn't make the lag/response issue noticeable. It happens from a stand still, from a 40 MPH roll, around town, on the interstate, etc. There is no driving style that'll avoid it.

For the record, the 18-008-20 software update didn't fix mine. It's a little better perhaps, but it is not cured.

So I'm either going to get the GDE tuning or a different truck next year.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You just got a unicorn. Because there is no possible way to drive in a fashion that wouldn't make the lag/response issue noticeable. It happens from a stand still, from a 40 MPH roll, around town, on the interstate, etc. There is no driving style that'll avoid it.

For the record, the 18-008-20 software update didn't fix mine. It's a little better perhaps, but it is not cured.

So I'm either going to get the GDE tuning or a different truck next year.
Mine is significantly better. I'm happy after the update. I will probably still do the GDE tune when my warranty is ending because a few extra HP would be nice.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I test drove an EcoDiesel and it had terrible lag - I had driven it side-by-side with Hemi, but honestly the sound isolation in cabin is better in Ecodiesel IMO.

So that being said, I knew what I was getting into - and put up with the turbo lag for a year. The TSB update has made a huge difference - did it cure the lag completely ? probably not, but honestly its an EcoDiesel - not a Ram TRX. After the update, I have put a couple hundred miles, and honestly this is how the truck should have been tuned and left the factory.

If it had gasoline Twinturbo's like BMW, and lighter aluminum body etc etc - yes it would probably be better driving experience. I plan to keep my warranty intact, and after 100K, put GDE tune. It may be a bit late by then in terms of tune, but would like to keep warranty intact until then. Who knows, might even trade it at 5 yrs/100K, so dont want to be stuck with cost of motor to replace before 5yr/100K due to tune/modification.

Bottomline, TSB made a huge difference in my driving. The shift points have changed - I read up that there was a drivetrain TSB also, alongside this PCM update - wondering what that entails and if its worth doing that on top of this as well ?

My philosophy, dont fix it if its not broken...

Berkley

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue. I am going to video this and sue the hell out of FCA if this issue causes me to get hit.

azram520

Reaction score
I have the same exact issue. I am going to video this and sue the hell out of FCA if this issue causes me to get hit.
WTH THIS JUST HAPPEN TO ME THIS WEEKEND. THREE SECONDS OF ME SCREAMING. (GIRLFRIEND SAYING STEP ON IT.. I"M LIKE I AM!!!!) WTF this just started?

Pristine1

Reaction score
My recently purchased 21 hasn’t had any issues with this yet. Maybe they figured it out. My 18 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost had to get revised a few times to get that truck running right. Besides the cam phasers being replaced at 22k. Mine was so bad that the truck literally slowed down hard before acceleration. Most of the times I was pulling onto a main road with traffic. But clencher for sure.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Adjust your technique. My gas truck and my former diesel had the annoying dead pedal. From a stop i just leave my left foot on the brake and preload the gas pedal just a hair to bring valve body pressure up against the brake. I assume it's the transmission because this works, though in the older diesel I did it to spool just enough (2-3psi boost pressure) to not lag off the line. If you have only one leg, feel free to throw cash at electronic solutions.

Uga40

Reaction score
The most delay I ever get is a half second. I never floor it. I guess I drive different. My truck is a 2020 ED built in 10/19, completely stock. If I gently press the pedal, the truck accelerates smoothly. I only have 5K miles on it.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
The most delay I ever get is a half second. I never floor it. I guess I drive different. My truck is a 2020 ED built in 10/19, completely stock. If I gently press the pedal, the truck accelerates smoothly. I only have 5K miles on it.

You never mat your accelerator? I literally cannot imagine that. I mash mine to the floor like I'm driving a rental.

Users who are viewing this thread