5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty much the sign of a low charge. 1234yf refrigerant is expensive. Some beancounter probably told them to fill every truck less to save money and only top off people who complain.

My neighbor AC guy swears by removing 1234yf, changing the fittings ( although the have adaptors, you don't want someone to fill and mix refrigerant types ) and running r134a instead, cheaper and works better according to him. 1234yf is at least a 10% loss of cooling capacity just by physics. 1234yf is also much denser and uses more fuel to operate and compress.

"The reason for the changeover in the U.S. is that a refrigerant with a low global warming potential (GWP) qualifies for a special credit in the form of carbon grams per mile, which converts to miles per gallon. It’s equal to more mpg on the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rating scale."

yet another BS reason to use crap tech to boost mpg numbers artificially.
Huh.

Here's a link to an old Mercedes recall for 2013 vehicles to swap 1234yf over to r134a because the 1234yf is flammable. (Fear of collision issues.)

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well guys and girls. i have a 21 ram 1500 and the ac does the same thing. at idle it's terrible at drive it's ok but still warm. ugh... just a update i hope not all 21's have this problem but mine does. waiting for a drink in the drive thru is the worst...

Has it been this way since new? If no there might be a freon leak. All 2021s should have the updated AC parts (my 2020 does even, it was an Aug 7, 2020 build and the cutoff was Aug 1).

21RamGuy

Reaction score
Has it been this way since new? If no there might be a freon leak. All 2021s should have the updated AC parts (my 2020 does even, it was an Aug 7, 2020 build and the cutoff was Aug 1).
yes, it has been this way since i bought it new in december 2020. if it's updated then i'll never know but i just wanted to let the thread know even though its a older thread. i wished there was a upgrade i could do . trying the hose shut off method isn't a option at all . thanks for the reply.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
That’s normal. I have noticed the same issue after the fix was completed. When the truck is moving, the AC is a B/B+. At idle when there isn’t much airflow thru the condenser, it is a C+ at best.
but, with how the fan ramps up to 3k if the ac is on wide open, wouldn't that make the air move across the fins enough to cool better? anyway i do greatly appreciate the responses i know this isn't my thread but thank you

Swmoram

Reaction score
@RamCares
Has anyone had their ac system fail after getting the TSB done? Had the TSB done in June and today I have hot air coming through the passenger vents and barely cool through the driver vents.
I’ve had it done and while it is better it is by no means as good as my 2015 RAM 1500 was. I brought a copy of the TSB with me and I still had to have a “discussion” with the service “advisor “. Then they said the fuse block power center was bad and that was why it wasn’t cooling. They claimed to have replaced the fuse block and told me it was as good as it could be. I asked him if he even read the TSB. I had to quote from it that if the customer complains do the TSB. I complained about 4 months after I bought it ( before the TSB was published). And then a year later after I found the TSB I brought it in.

I’m still not happy with it but I can live with it , which is sad for a $65k truck.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
I’ve had it done and while it is better it is by no means as good as my 2015 RAM 1500 was. I brought a copy of the TSB with me and I still had to have a “discussion” with the service “advisor “. Then they said the fuse block power center was bad and that was why it wasn’t cooling. They claimed to have replaced the fuse block and told me it was as good as it could be. I asked him if he even read the TSB. I had to quote from it that if the customer complains do the TSB. I complained about 4 months after I bought it ( before the TSB was published). And then a year later after I found the TSB I brought it in.

I’m still not happy with it but I can live with it , which is sad for a $65k truck.
exactly.. well i guess 65 k is like 6500 now days though :)

Synergy26

Reaction score
Got my truck back last Friday. The dealer had it for a day and a half. The paperwork says they did the full TSB and redid the refrigerant...next time I am in the truck I will take a pic of the paperwork and post it here so you can see. The truck looks perfect inside - like I can't even tell there was major work done to the dash....so much so I question if they didn't just do the refrigerant. Anything I should be looking for here as a dead giveaway that the dash was untouched...or is my dealer/service dept that good?

As far as temps the truck does seem much cooler. But the passenger side still temps cooler by 2.5 - 3.0 degrees. Driver side with digital tops out at about 47.7 and passenger side went as low as 44.7 - driver vent near the doors stays at 48. Definitely cooler but if I still get different temps, did the TSB actually do the full job?

here is driver side BEFORE and AFTER the TSB on similar temp days.
My temps exactly the same after the TSB. I did expect colder temps but who knows.

Last edited:

Synergy26

Reaction score
Anybody who has had this done think that the fan speed has slowed down? Mine seems to be blowing less or slower. Yes I have changed to a new filter. TIA

The Critic

Reaction score
Anybody who has had this done think that the fan speed has slowed down? Mine seems to be blowing less or slower. Yes I have changed to a new filter. TIA
Yes, the ramp up seems to be different.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the OTA Radio updates killed my AC reacting to ANC during a call. AC used to ramp down during a call. Doesn't at all anymore.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Mine has never ramped down during a call. Is it supposed to?
Yes, when I receive a call, the AC fan drops down to a quiet level so that I can focus on the call without hearing too much fan noise. The fan goes back to the selected setting, once the call is concluded.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, when I receive a call, the AC fan drops down to a quiet level so that I can focus on the call without hearing too much fan noise. The fan goes back to the selected setting, once the call is concluded.
Thanks. How does one enable this? Is it just a 12” unconnect feature?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine has never done this.

21RamGuy

Reaction score
my 8.2 screen does this. i think theres a feature in the head unit that you can turn on. maybe under settings

Users who are viewing this thread