5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can’t remember where I saw the document. But that’s how the techs test our AC system. They have to rev the truck to at least 1500 rpm.
It makes some sense because mine will get into the high 40s once I start driving the rpms are 1500 and above. Once I’m at idle it dips into the low to mid 50s depending on ambient temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember seeing this too. It was a snippet of the service manual possibly. I don’t see anything about this in my owners manual.

dalailama23

Reaction score
In a earlier post somebody mentioned about adding more R1234YF. The engineers have figured out that a specific weight in grams is what's needed for our systems .They are probably also looking at costs so the least amount that will work is the right amount on paper. I know that too much is harmful for the system as the pressures are not within specs. I tested my system and found the pressures to be on the low side. My symptoms were also not so cold outlet temps, 46 passenger 52 driver which also lead my to believe because of the different temps coming off of the evaporator at different locations for dual zone AC that the evaporator wasn't being completely and evenly flooded with low pressure gaseous Freon. I added 4 ounces of R1234Yf that you can buy at NAPA for 29 dollars, and if you don't have gages which i do you can purchase a filler tap with gage for 14 dollars NAPA. I also had the HVAC flash done at the dealer while still under warranty . Results are 42 degrees passenger 46 Driver after a full cool down starting at 96 degrees 90 percent humidity south florida weather at Max AC recycle ending in my garage at outside 89 degrees. Couldn't be happier after the HVAC flash the truck now cools in
auto mode and is flat to cold in the mournings when it 80 degrees out . i run my temp at 72. My truck is a 2019 built 7-18.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow that’s awesome. What is the hvac flash? I wonder if they even checked my refrigerant when it went in for the TSB. Doesn’t say on my paperwork

BigHerm611

Reaction score
Wow that’s awesome. What is the hvac flash? I wonder if they even checked my refrigerant when it went in for the TSB. Doesn’t say on my paperwork

They should’ve checked refrigerant. All the work that as done to mine, including the TSB, they drained the system then recharged it.

Zogg44

Reaction score
I had heard about the HVAC flash but no idea what it does. But I took mine in last month for some repairs and asked for the TSB to be done. Instead they did the HVAC flash and added some refrigerant, and it is definitely working better. I need to do some temperature testing, but on some 99 deg days in Dallas recently it cooled the cabin down enough that I had to back down the A/C, something I've never had to do before. I only have a month left on my warranty but I'm leaning toward not having the TSB done.

BigHerm611

Reaction score

Aaaaahhh that might be why. Reading that TSB, it didn’t apply to my truck. I have a 2020.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like it applies to my truck, but they didn't mention doing it

turkeybird56

Reaction score
U have to meet the "requirements", take truck into dealership and "complain" specifically for the conditions related and tell them U want TSB done, and best while U still have a warranty. Not a recall, U could be stuck for the bill if outta warranty.
Looks like it applies to my truck, but they didn't mention doin

dalailama23

Reaction score
U have to meet the "requirements", take truck into dealership and "complain" specifically for the conditions related and tell them U want TSB done, and best while U still have a warranty. Not a recall, U could be stuck for the bill if outta warranty.
Thats exactly what i did and though they hate for you to have the TSB i have a good relationship with my service adviser and gave him a heads up. For me between the extra R-1234Yf that was still within range ( i did A/C work at my auto business in the past, now retired) and the HVAC flash I'm satisfied

Raydar

Reaction score
In a earlier post somebody mentioned about adding more R1234YF. The engineers have figured out that a specific weight in grams is what's needed for our systems .They are probably also looking at costs so the least amount that will work is the right amount on paper. I know that too much is harmful for the system as the pressures are not within specs. I tested my system and found the pressures to be on the low side.
Do you have the specs handy?
I have gauges. I don't know if my hoses/adapters will work on the ports, though. (Set up for 134.)

dalailama23

Reaction score
Do you have the specs handy?
I have gauges. I don't know if my hoses/adapters will work on the ports, though. (Set up for 134.)
You will have to get adapters for the ports the specs for R1234yf are similar to 134 , within 10 percent so as you can see on your gages what pressure would theoretically yield what temp. But the lowest cold temp at a very low psi doesn't always yield the most BTU draw out of the evaporator that you need in a hot auto versus a refrigerator or freezer. i personally shoot for 36 to 40 degrees on my gages when everything is stable and cold as it will get and a fan out front simulating air flow at speed. that way my evaporator wont freeze up and I'm hopefully using the whole evaporators potential to pull the most heat out of the truck, not just trying to make ice cubes at 30-32 degrees

Attachments

• r-1234Yf.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 2.15.50 PM.png.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got a CEL code P0456. Is there any Evap lines related to this TSB? I’m so sick of being without my truck ☹️

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: pulled out my code reader. It sees the code, but will not clear it. It says cleared but never goes away. Really confused here.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I had heard about the HVAC flash but no idea what it does. But I took mine in last month for some repairs and asked for the TSB to be done. Instead they did the HVAC flash and added some refrigerant, and it is definitely working better. I need to do some temperature testing, but on some 99 deg days in Dallas recently it cooled the cabin down enough that I had to back down the A/C, something I've never had to do before. I only have a month left on my warranty but I'm leaning toward not having the TSB done.
The dealer just did the HVAC flash on my truck, even though I brought it in requesting the full "fix" TSB. So far there is really no difference that I can tell. Driver's side vent blows at 53, passenger at 44 after driving for 15-20 min. I've got about 6,000 miles left under warranty and I really don't know if I should leave well enough alone, or try to insist on a full repair. There is so much that can go wrong with a dash removal :cautious:

turkeybird56

Reaction score
The dealer just did the HVAC flash on my truck, even though I brought it in requesting the full "fix" TSB. So far there is really no difference that I can tell. Driver's side vent blows at 53, passenger at 44 after driving for 15-20 min. I've got about 6,000 miles left under warranty and I really don't know if I should leave well enough alone, or try to insist on a full repair. There is so much that can go wrong with a dash removal :cautious:
FYI: Not just the dash: Also HVAC box, vents and blower motors.

IMG_1848.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread