5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX vs Raptor

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My question is, how does Ford get 760 hp out of a 5.2 while Ram is only getting ~707 hp out of a 6.2. If Ford puts that Shelby motor in the Raptor next year, Ram's TRX reign as top dog will be very short.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My question is, how does Ford get 760 hp out of a 5.2 while Ram is only getting ~707 hp out of a 6.2. If Ford puts that Shelby motor in the Raptor next year, Ram's TRX reign as top dog will be very short.
Tuned for higher HP and slightly lower torque in a street application. The numbers would likely be quite a bit different in a truck (if they want the powertrain to survive). But don't get me wrong...that Shelby engine looks like a beast!

SD Rebel

Reaction score

The 6.2L Hemi I think is still based on a purshroad design, which has a torque advantage, the GT500 motor is a more modern dual overhead cam design, which has better hp. That motor produces more hp than the HC motor, but produces less torque.

The difference is also the weight, the Raptor weighs so much less, it won't take as much power to out perform the TRX, at least on the street. There is less than a second difference from 0-60 and quarter mile times between the 702 hp TRX vs 450 hp Raptor at this moment. Imagine what will happen when the Raptor has over 700 hp.

Of course that extra weigh was for extra durability off-road, there is a reason why Trophy trucks weigh so much. It does help with stability and durability, which will likely be the TRX advantage over the current Raptor. Can't wait to see them put head to head.

silver billet

Reaction score
Tuned for higher HP and slightly lower torque in a street application. The numbers would likely be quite a bit different in a truck (if they want the powertrain to survive). But don't get me wrong...that Shelby engine looks like a beast!

I guess Ram can aways put the 800+ hp "Demon" motor in the TRX. Forgot about that one.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And when ford does put the mustang engine in...Red eye at 792 horses....they have to beat 835 before mopar runs out of options.

And both trucks are limited to their tires...right now TRX has the only tire rated to 118.

The other TRX numbers are better too. Approach is nearly identical, but break over and departure are better.

Ground clearance and wheel travel is more.

And the Raptor has 34 inch tires...i understsnd you have to lift it to get 35s or 37s...i bet the TRX will run 37 with no lift at all.

And the price point...the Raptor that is cheaper is only a cab and half ...RAM ads this to the quad cab and bam...cheaper, faster, more payload more towing...

Mopar already has the answer...believe me...that is what the guys and gals at SRT do.

silver billet

Reaction score
There is less than a second difference from 0-60 and quarter mile times between the 702 hp TRX vs 450 hp Raptor at this moment. Imagine what will happen when the Raptor has over 700 hp.

True, but "seconds" is the wrong unit to look at when you're talking 4 or 5 seconds. Think percentages instead. 1 second difference when you're at 4 seconds, is absolutely massive. 1 second difference at 30 seconds is a rounding error.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm just happy Ford got knocked off the pedestal. I have an untolerable bias against Ford, mainly due to looks (I find it hideous, especially side to rear ), and I hate the fangirls that always show up when there is a manufacturer that sells more in terms of quanity, smugly claiming that most quantity must automatically mean best product. I have the same problem with Apple, don't really mind the product (though it doesn't appeal to me much either), but the fangirls make the whole product intolerable, I could never buy one.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
True, but "seconds" is the wrong unit to look at when you're talking 4 or 5 seconds. Think percentages instead. 1 second difference when you're at 4 seconds, is absolutely massive. 1 second difference at 30 seconds is a rounding error.

Absolutely true. Though the rounding error can easily go the other way, since these times are based on FCA reporting and not actual independent test times. When these things are tested face to face in the same conditions we may see a huge difference or none at all, the TRX maybe even faster than reported or the Raptor may prove to be just as fast on road with vastly less power.

The weight difference is huge between these two, and a little bit more power is all the Raptor will need to close the door on any performance gaps. However, as an off-roader myself, I know that the weight employed by the TRX in the chassis is helpful for durability and stability on the rough stuff at speed. I think in the end, regardless of power, the TRX will have a distinct off-roading advantage over the Raptor, at least at baja type speeds and conditions.

silver billet

Reaction score
Absolutely true. Though the rounding error can easily go the other way, since these times are based on FCA reporting and not actual independent test times. When these things are tested face to face in the same conditions we may see a huge difference or none at all, the TRX maybe even faster than reported or the Raptor may prove to be just as fast on road with vastly less power.

The weight difference is huge between these two, and a little bit more power is all the Raptor will need to close the door on any performance gaps. However, as an off-roader myself, I know that the weight employed by the TRX in the chassis is helpful for durability and stability on the rough stuff at speed. I think in the end, regardless of power, the TRX will have a distinct off-roading advantage over the Raptor, at least at baja type speeds and conditions.

Yep, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

But current Raptor owners still have to be somewhat miffed, even if the Raptor can keep up, I mean just think of the sound track; I have to believe each and every Raptor owner would prefer the sound of the TRX over that ecoboost, and sound is a huge part of the formula which even Ford knows else they wouldn't be piping in manufactured sound. They may not admit it, but most Raptor owers are going to be quite envious until Ford comes out with their own V8 which I'm sure they will.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yep, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

But current Raptor owners still have to be somewhat miffed, even if the Raptor can keep up, I mean just think of the sound track; I have to believe each and every Raptor owner would prefer the sound of the TRX over that ecoboost, and sound is a huge part of the formula which even Ford knows else they wouldn't be piping in manufactured sound. They may not admit it, but most Raptor owers are going to be quite envious until Ford comes out with their own V8 which I'm sure they will.

Heck yeah they are, everyone would rather have a V8. I mean I'm really a Ford guy, my last truck was a 2.7L Ecoboost F150 which I absolutely adored. I get bored every 4 years and wanted something different and fell in love with the Rebel.

I will say my little Ecoboost which had 325 hp / 400 ft-lbs of torque coupled with the 1,000 lbs less weight would probably smoke with Rebel Hemi, magazine test times substantiate that. With that being said, I am in love with the V8 sound, especially with my aftermarket muffler. It creates a sense of occasion that you can't get with a V6, and makes it special to drive. I'll put up with the slightly slower performance and lower mpg because it's glorious to drive. I look for any reason I can to take her out, which I didn't do with my Ecoboost due to the Accord soundtrack.

HailState

Reaction score
I traded my 2017 raptor fully modded with Cobb parts. It was a great truck and fun to drive. I had problems with the transmission towards the end of warranty and Ford wasn’t being helpful. I also didn’t like the towing ability. Final gripe will be that I had to run premium fuel on a 30 gallon tank which put me at $100 to fill up. I traded 9 months ago for a loaded Rebel and I have fully enjoyed this truck. Fuel cost is less and it tows well. BUT now that the TRX is out, I am going to look hard with the only trade off besides a higher cost being the fuel cost again. But we all know that performance cost. I would love to hear the sound of the hellcat motor everyday when I crank my truck. Gonna be a tough decision soon.

Skater

Reaction score

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought the F-150 Rousch was going to be the V8 (possibly SC'd) version of the Raptor....glad I didn't make any bets lol.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Love the competition! It's going to get crazy if Ford will deliver on this V8 rumor....
Ram will get 800HP in the next TRX in a blink of an eye :D

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6.2L Hemi I think is still based on a purshroad design, which has a torque advantage, the GT500 motor is a more modern dual overhead cam design, which has better hp. That motor produces more hp than the HC motor, but produces less torque.

The difference is also the weight, the Raptor weighs so much less, it won't take as much power to out perform the TRX, at least on the street. There is less than a second difference from 0-60 and quarter mile times between the 702 hp TRX vs 450 hp Raptor at this moment. Imagine what will happen when the Raptor has over 700 hp.

Of course that extra weigh was for extra durability off-road, there is a reason why Trophy trucks weigh so much. It does help with stability and durability, which will likely be the TRX advantage over the current Raptor. Can't wait to see them put head to head.

This. I've got a lot of experience with the Ford engines and let me say they're screamers on the top end, but not much is going on at the bottom end. And, working on them is a nightmare. DOHC adds serious complexity and size to the engine. For truck use, the TRX will still have the best setup with the Hemi.

The Raptor has a sizeable advantage with it's lower weight, but it's still the ugliest truck currently on the market (other than the Tundra) and I also think it's hilarious that Ford has been trying to force-feed people little EcoBust engines for years and that's why RAM has been showing the most sales growth year after year.

antwon412

Reaction score
And here I think the Raptor is the best looking 1/2 ton!
Ram interior is the best though.

Users who are viewing this thread