5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX vs Raptor

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, all of these specs mean different things depending on who's parsing them ...

- If you're a fan of either brand but not in the market to purchase one of these trucks then all this laptop racing is fun chatting about on forums, but means little in a practical sense, but does mean something for brand marketing.

- If you are in the market for one of these trucks, enjoy instagram and cars & coffee flexing, researching the best waxing products, and cringe should you run over a curb, then specs equal ego points and which truck has more power means a lot to you.

- If you buy an off road focused truck and care about 0-60 times, I can't even.

- If you are one of the small percentage of people who purchase either a Raptor or a TRX, or a Prospector Xl, or a Rubicon, because you intend to use them exactly how they are meant to be used, then the things that matter aren't in the space between 700 and 750 hp. First you define what kind of off roading you want to do and where you want to do it, and then you match the vehicle to the task, and chances are you're going to have to modify no matter what you start with. If you are planning to do high speed desert running, your current choices are the Raptor and the TRX ... we know how the current Raptor performs in that environment, and I am sure the TRX will be equally as good if not better, it better be given that it's four years newer. The question is how the TRX will match up against the next gen Raptor that's about to be released, not in the HP numbers, but as an overall package that works together to achieve said specific task. Things like torque curves, throttle delivery, braking, shocks, springs, body roll, tires, pitch angles, weight, matter a great deal when you're about to go sideways on a high speed rutted curve at 80mph with trees or rocks on either side of you ... in that moment hp means almost nothing, in fact 95% of the time you will actually never need more power than the current Raptor makes. Just like a track car, you will know its truth under pressure and stress and how it copes with it, the rest of it is just impressing Starbucks milfs. :)

Anyhoot, not judging any reason why anyone would buy one of these trucks. Folks buy GT3s all the time and they never track them. I have a diver watch that goes to the center of the earth that I don't take to the shower. Everyone should do what makes them happy with their hard earned moneys. Heck people put lifts and 22s on Raptors for some reason, I'm sure some will do the same with the TRX. Just saying that all the hp war stuff is actually almost irrelevant to those who will use these trucks as intended, for them off road overall package performance is the only thing that matters and may be the difference between making it home or looking for a missing upper control arm upside down in the middle of the desert.

When the time comes when the two trucks can be tested side by side in that environment, the better one will reveal itself, and it will have almost nothing to do with HP.

Stability is everything:

Starbucks Milf's!!! Woo! Lmao! :giggle:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, lol!

I honestly never thought I would see the day I would see a full size with a 4 cylinder, but it's a mainstream motor on the Chevy Silverado. Hopefully, they will instead focus on hybrid technologies and bring us more power with fuel economy. They way they do with high end exotic cars, using the hybrid system to actually improve performance not just mpg.
4 cylinder truck....It's like an American version of the base model Tacoma hehe! I think Ram has the right idea with the Etorque...they just have to improve a little more on it to effect the MPGs in a more noticable way....I'm liking it so far. However...I'm not digging anything that's All electric.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
4 cylinder truck....It's like an American version of the base model Tacoma hehe! I think Ram has the right idea with the Etorque...they just have to improve a little more on it to effect the MPGs in a more noticable way....I'm liking it so far. However...I'm not digging anything that's All electric.

Absolutely, an actual hybrid system, not a light one. Which there will be with Ford's upcoming F150. Ford has spearheaded the current trends, from more use of aluminum to lower displacement engines, start/stop, etc in a full size truck, especially with Chevy. Makes sense they would lead the way to electrification. However, even RAM is going to have to go that way sooner or later, EPA waits for no one.

One reason why I got my RAM was the sound of its V8, I definitely do not want a full electric version, hopefully RAM will have a V8 electric hybrid in the works for the next gen.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it's purely the economy choice. It's superior to the base V6 they used as the base engine before. I think only their most stripped out single cab work trucks special order can still get that NA V6 motor.

Exactly. Everybody compares the Chevy turbo I4 to the 5.3 and wonders what the point is, but it's not mean to replace the 5.3, it's meant to replace the 4.3 v6, and by all accounts its better than the 4.3 in every metric (longevity yet to be proven). It's certainly a stronger motor than the 3.6 pentastar and whatever Ford uses in their base trucks.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, an actual hybrid system, not a light one. Which there will be with Ford's upcoming F150. Ford has spearheaded the current trends, from more use of aluminum to lower displacement engines, start/stop, etc in a full size truck, especially with Chevy. Makes sense they would lead the way to electrification. However, even RAM is going to have to go that way sooner or later, EPA waits for no one.

One reason why I got my RAM was the sound of its V8, I definitely do not want a full electric version, hopefully RAM will have a V8 electric hybrid in the works for the next gen.
Exactly my way of thinking too...a V8 hybrid is the way to go and it's the future...the turbo charged 4's and V6 can never really replace the capabilities of a V8 over the stretch of a trucks lifetime, plus the economy on them really isn't that much better...just more sporty. I hear about people getting bad gas mileage in their Rams that are similar to mine. With my Etorque...the MPGs are waaaaay Better than my last 2014 F-150 5.0. So those must be drivers that are new to trucks maybe lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Everybody compares the Chevy turbo I4 to the 5.3 and wonders what the point is, but it's not mean to replace the 5.3, it's meant to replace the 4.3 v6, and by all accounts its better than the 4.3 in every metric (longevity yet to be proven). It's certainly a stronger motor than the 3.6 pentastar and whatever Ford uses in their base trucks.
The only oddity is that the base V6 (while offering nowhere near the power of the turbo I4) is rated for heavier towing capacity. Maybe they're being cautious, because the engine output (to your point) falls more in alignment with the small V8 than the V6.

As @PowerJrod states, a more aggressive hybrid V8 would be something. I have a feeling it will need to happen on the HD trucks, as it won't be long now before full-electric 1/2-ton trucks are rolling out.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TRX...a purpose built off roader forged on the anvil of years of RAM Tough engineering in the field.

Just because (some of) the people who will
buy TRX do not know how to use them or plan to use them...doesn't mean the truck is not going to compete.

Understand this about these 4cly and 6cyl turbo engines...there is a reason you do not see them in HD trucks...duty cycle.

There is a reason the 5.7l Hemi was always detuned and given a lower GVWR in the HeavyDuty.

Remember this also. THE HellCat motor has more in common with the 6.4l BGE engine in the HeavyDuty than the 6.4l SRT engine in the car.

RAM has been doing this a long time...sure the Raptor has been around longer than the TRX(it just came out)...but the Powerwagon has been around longer yet.

229630.jpg 6c68e94167987b4eec3e75a94f7be195.jpg MP011_023RM__mid.jpg da654ccd8a051f2cfc59ae8f6b7ecd79.jpg

Google the ram runner vs raptor.

Good times

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the TRX...(back on topic) ;)
Speaking of....I just read an article that RT wrote regarding the comparison between the Raptor and TRX (of course lol)
The lack of comprehension was astounding. The writer was talking how the TRX has "ONLY" a little more HP/Torque over the Raptor, blah, blah, blah....but didn't once mention how they accomplished this without the use of unreliable turbos. SC's might not make as much torque as TC's but they are way more reliable and efficient...which helps the longevity of the engine over time. Also stated how much wider the TRX is which can cause problems on a lot of the common off road trails... something to think about I guess.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the next raptor...we might as well talk about the next TRX.

I can not find the damn video...but the RAM team showed the testing.

All climates...all terrains. It looks more than capable.

I could careless about the RAPTOR comparison.

I want to see the REBEL vs POWERWAGON vs TRX.

And I am ready to see it do the BAJA and the Rebelle Rally.

And there are so many conflicting stories about the supposed V8 rumble RAPTOR clip...i bet they piped it in to the videographer.

TRX vs the Gladiator Mojave edition would be funner to watch too.

I hope...TRX Rebel or sport...will go quad cab and NA to undercut the base Raptor.

Plenty seem to nit notice that the TRX base is a bit further up the Raptor option list.

They can go back to the 8.4 or even 5 inch to save money. They can go to no panoramic sunroof. Give base seats.

RAM is already sneaking around somewhere with the answer to the next Raptor.

And I bet when they release the street version...who has competition for that right now.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about the next raptor...we might as well talk about the next TRX.

I can not find the damn video...but the RAM team showed the testing.

All climates...all terrains. It looks more than capable.

I could careless about the RAPTOR comparison.

I want to see the REBEL vs POWERWAGON vs TRX.

And I am ready to see it do the BAJA and the Rebelle Rally.

And there are so many conflicting stories about the supposed V8 rumble RAPTOR clip...i bet they piped it in to the videographer.

TRX vs the Gladiator Mojave edition would be funner to watch too.

I hope...TRX Rebel or sport...will go quad cab and NA to undercut the base Raptor.

Plenty seem to nit notice that the TRX base is a bit further up the Raptor option list.

They can go back to the 8.4 or even 5 inch to save money. They can go to no panoramic sunroof. Give base seats.

RAM is already sneaking around somewhere with the answer to the next Raptor.

And I bet when they release the street version...who has competition for that right now.
Definitely!
And that was the other point RT was talking about in the article...how the base TRX was so much more expensive than the base Raptor but yet didn't mention any of the options that the TRX came with as the base model....they sound like Ford fans to me

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Pretty awesome how much they showed of the TRX in plain sight

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TRX...a purpose built off roader forged on the anvil of years of RAM Tough engineering in the field.

Just because (some of) the people who will
buy TRX do not know how to use them or plan to use them...doesn't mean the truck is not going to compete.

Understand this about these 4cly and 6cyl turbo engines...there is a reason you do not see them in HD trucks...duty cycle.

There is a reason the 5.7l Hemi was always detuned and given a lower GVWR in the HeavyDuty.

Remember this also. THE HellCat motor has more in common with the 6.4l BGE engine in the HeavyDuty than the 6.4l SRT engine in the car.

RAM has been doing this a long time...sure the Raptor has been around longer than the TRX(it just came out)...but the Powerwagon has been around longer yet.

View attachment 66399 View attachment 66400 View attachment 66401 View attachment 66402

Google the ram runner vs raptor.

Good times
That Yellow truck brings back memories! I had it as a Matchbox.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I wish they would put that engine into my Longhorn. I don’t need the special suspension as there is no desert close to where I live. Would love the Hellcat engine though

thetasigma1186

Reaction score
I wouldn't have sold my '17 Raptor if it had a V8 in it. I didn't really car for the aluminum body panels though. Especially around the door pulls.

I am in the same boat as you! I had a '17 Raptor and loved the truck. But I hated the 10 speed and V6. I tried exhaust, but never enjoyed the sound. To me, a truck should sound like a truck!! Love my RAM and would really like to get a TRX...can't quite justify that. However, if the Raptor gets a V8, I may look harder!

Users who are viewing this thread