5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX vs Raptor

bravo1

Reaction score
SpeedyV I concur in a podcast out on the net Ram Chief Lead discuss this topic"when powertrain approach Ram Chassic/suspension engineering, there were 2 available 6.2 SC available.1)The current optional 6.2L SC, and then came the second one which brings us to number 2) A 6.2L SC with a horsepower range of 800 plus to mid 800 range as well. Ram classic/suspension chose the current 6.2L.So even if any other manufacture's wants to test these waters of "Who is best in class game",FCA RAM Truck will have a answer for them.I look to see this truck off-road racing in the near future in stock production in the 2 Baja's and as well as the Mint 400.All I can hope for is that Kore Off-road comes to play..

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree...I think they look very decent. It's the Nissan Titan that I think looks like junk. Hell...the new Tundras look pretty nice I think...

The new Tundra's? Truck is older the sliced bread LOL

No I do like some of the updated trims and colors like the TRD PRO in the army green.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
The new Tundra's? Truck is older the sliced bread LOL

No I do like some of the updated trims and colors like the TRD PRO in the army green.
Yeah, They also have new headlights and stuff like that... I mean... it's a nice truck but it's becoming outdated...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My buddy has a new Tacoma TRD Sport, it is pretty nice on the outside, great size for off-roading. However the inside is very dated and so is the drivetrain. It has a solid reputation for reliability probably because of that simplicity and only the Wrangler has higher resale.

That being said, driving in his truck and then mine is like night and day, the RAM feels like a premium sedan in comparison. Though i wouldn't mine rocking one, especially for some of the tighter trails I wished I could drive on.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn't have sold my '17 Raptor if it had a V8 in it. I didn't really car for the aluminum body panels though. Especially around the door pulls.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Funny thing is the RAM is the only one of the big 3 auto makers that still have steel doors. Even GM, which went on an anti-aluminum offensive against Ford has gone with more aluminum with their current gen trucks. Essentially the only thing that isn't aluminum on a GM truck's body is the roof, front fenders & bed.

That being said, I rather like the aluminum on my F150, it seemed to resist dents better than the steel bodies I've had due to the thickness. Plus I could throw salt water covered beach equipment in my bed without worry. The main negative to aluminum on the F150 is the slab sided body panels due to the more difficult body forming. Unless your are Ferrari or other premium auto makers who can afford to shape aluminum bodies, it's far cheaper to avoid curvy shapes like Ford does for easier mass production.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about aluminum is that it tears. I had a piece of road debris hit the aluminum hood on my 2014 Ram and it put a hole right through the metal. Luckily the hood is easy to replace but I wouldn't want to have to replace say a roof panel because of a minor impact. I think GM took the right approach and just made the hinged panels aluminum. Also the GM's don't seem to share the wavy sheet metal problem that Ford has on the doors.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The thing I don't like about aluminum is that it tears. I had a piece of road debris hit the aluminum hood on my 2014 Ram and it put a hole right through the metal. Luckily the hood is easy to replace but I wouldn't want to have to replace say a roof panel because of a minor impact. I think GM took the right approach and just made the hinged panels aluminum. Also the GM's don't seem to share the wavy sheet metal problem that Ford has on the doors.

The aluminum Ford uses is really thick, after 4 years it didn't have a single dimple on any of the flat forward surfaces. I will say that at least my F150 had very little waves on the body panels, no more than on my RAM. Though they were a lot less shapely as well, so expect less waves because of that. My truck was a 2015, body forming only got better after my year. The panel gaps weren't as good, but that was more a Ford thing than a aluminum thing.

GM actually tried to make the body with more aluminum, however they don't have the supply that Ford did when they essentially bought up so much production. GM was forced into the mixed materials strategy for both the Silverado/Sierra & Cadillac sedans, their marketing adjusted to that with the "advantages of mixed materials".

Next generations should be interesting, with weight reduction and improved efficiencies, we maybe seeing the last generation of "traditional" trucks. I do like how traditional my RAM is :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The aluminum Ford uses is really thick, after 4 years it didn't have a single dimple on any of the flat forward surfaces. I will say that at least my F150 had very little waves on the body panels, no more than on my RAM. Though they were a lot less shapely as well, so expect less waves because of that. My truck was a 2015, body forming only got better after my year. The panel gaps weren't as good, but that was more a Ford thing than a aluminum thing.

GM actually tried to make the body with more aluminum, however they don't have the supply that Ford did when they essentially bought up so much production. GM was forced into the mixed materials strategy for both the Silverado/Sierra & Cadillac sedans, their marketing adjusted to that with the "advantages of mixed materials".

Next generations should be interesting, with weight reduction and improved efficiencies, we maybe seeing the last generation of "traditional" trucks. I do like how traditional my RAM is :)
Yea ..Ford will have a triple turbo 3 cylinder engine for the F-150 by then lol!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yea ..Ford will have a triple turbo 3 cylinder engine for the F-150 by then lol!

Right, lol!

I honestly never thought I would see the day I would see a full size with a 4 cylinder, but it's a mainstream motor on the Chevy Silverado. Hopefully, they will instead focus on hybrid technologies and bring us more power with fuel economy. They way they do with high end exotic cars, using the hybrid system to actually improve performance not just mpg.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right, lol!

I honestly never thought I would see the day I would see a full size with a 4 cylinder, but it's a mainstream motor on the Chevy Silverado. Hopefully, they will instead focus on hybrid technologies and bring us more power with fuel economy. They way they do with high end exotic cars, using the hybrid system to actually improve performance not just mpg.
310 HP / 348 lb-ft on regular gas is impressive...but it only averages 1 mpg combined better than their V8s. So it can’t all be about fuel economy.

sdog

Reaction score
Ok, all of these specs mean different things depending on who's parsing them ...

- If you're a fan of either brand but not in the market to purchase one of these trucks then all this laptop racing is fun chatting about on forums, but means little in a practical sense, but does mean something for brand marketing.

- If you are in the market for one of these trucks, enjoy instagram and cars & coffee flexing, researching the best waxing products, and cringe should you run over a curb, then specs equal ego points and which truck has more power means a lot to you.

- If you buy an off road focused truck and care about 0-60 times, I can't even.

- If you are one of the small percentage of people who purchase either a Raptor or a TRX, or a Prospector Xl, or a Rubicon, because you intend to use them exactly how they are meant to be used, then the things that matter aren't in the space between 700 and 750 hp. First you define what kind of off roading you want to do and where you want to do it, and then you match the vehicle to the task, and chances are you're going to have to modify no matter what you start with. If you are planning to do high speed desert running, your current choices are the Raptor and the TRX ... we know how the current Raptor performs in that environment, and I am sure the TRX will be equally as good if not better, it better be given that it's four years newer. The question is how the TRX will match up against the next gen Raptor that's about to be released, not in the HP numbers, but as an overall package that works together to achieve said specific task. Things like torque curves, throttle delivery, braking, shocks, springs, body roll, tires, pitch angles, weight, matter a great deal when you're about to go sideways on a high speed rutted curve at 80mph with trees or rocks on either side of you ... in that moment hp means almost nothing, in fact 95% of the time you will actually never need more power than the current Raptor makes. Just like a track car, you will know its truth under pressure and stress and how it copes with it, the rest of it is just impressing Starbucks milfs. :)

Anyhoot, not judging any reason why anyone would buy one of these trucks. Folks buy GT3s all the time and they never track them. I have a diver watch that goes to the center of the earth that I don't take to the shower. Everyone should do what makes them happy with their hard earned moneys. Heck people put lifts and 22s on Raptors for some reason, I'm sure some will do the same with the TRX. Just saying that all the hp war stuff is actually almost irrelevant to those who will use these trucks as intended, for them off road overall package performance is the only thing that matters and may be the difference between making it home or looking for a missing upper control arm upside down in the middle of the desert.

When the time comes when the two trucks can be tested side by side in that environment, the better one will reveal itself, and it will have almost nothing to do with HP.

Stability is everything:

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
310 HP / 348 lb-ft on regular gas is impressive...but it only averages 1 mpg combined better than their V8s. So it can’t all be about fuel economy.

I think it's purely the economy choice. It's superior to the base V6 they used as the base engine before. I think only their most stripped out single cab work trucks special order can still get that NA V6 motor.

Users who are viewing this thread