5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Grill on Laramie

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Looks freaking sweet on your truck. The amber is growing on me too. I haven't tried to install those lights yet. I haven't even taken them out of the shipping package yet. I don't think I'm brave enough either to cut up the grille to make them fit. I apologize for them not working. I didn't even notice they were a different size. The one issue I ran into with the letters is the mounting tape wasn't the greatest on one of the letters so I wound up getting some 3M tape from AutoZone to replace it. What did you wind up taping into for the lights? I wound up running the ground to one of the factory grounding points and the power to the positive side of the fuse for the trailer running lights. That way it's removable just in case anything happens anyways.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your kind words. I really like the grill too. No worries about the lights. They are just barely too wide to fit. A little Dremel work in each hole would make them fit the hole, but I don’t think the screw holes line up either. If I didn’t physically try to put them in, I would have sworn they would have fit too. But hey, they were only $20. It was worth it to see if they would work.

After I put several clear coats on the letters and let them dry good. I mounted them with the tape and let them sit over night. They seem like they are on pretty secure. I crossed my fingers yesterday when I took it to my car wash that they would still be on when I came out the other side and all was fine. It’s not a bad grill. Definitely not as robust as the factory grill though. But I think it will last. If it doesn’t, I can try another one without the letters and and lights or go back to factory.

For the lights, I used a fuse tap and went into fuse 60 in the engine bay fuse panel. RAM Patriot recommended that in another thread. That fuse comes on with the truck ignition in the “run” position so it works perfect to have the lights come on with my DRLs. Also easy to remove. Just pull the tap and put the fuse back in.

Last edited:

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Looks good! Really tempted to get one and paint the frame to match my truck (sport so all body color). Has anyone painted one yet?

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Looks good! Really tempted to get one and paint the frame to match my truck (sport so all body color). Has anyone painted one yet?
I thought about it. I was going to have the frame painted the same metallic black as the grill appliqué. Instead, I bought a new grill appliqué that I am having painted body color. I think the truck looks a little funny now with the painted black appliqué and nothing else painted black on the front of the truck now that I replaced the black grill. It looks like a mustache lol. Once done, the grill will match the other unpainted black plastic inserts on the front of the truck and everything else will be body colored.

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
I received the grill yesterday and the lights from eBay today. The RAM letters were a great match for the Granite Crystal Metallic color of my truck. I just gave the letters several coats of clear to protect the paint. Unfortunately, the white lights with smoke covers from eBay were too big for the openings on the grill, I probably could have used a Dre Mel to make them work, but I didn’t want to go that route. I considered no lights versus orange lights as I worked to take the factory grill off. Ultimately I decided to stick with the orange lights and I am glad I did. I think the orange lights look good and white ones would have been too much white light in the front. Anyway. Here are some pics. I’ll get a daytime pic tomorrow.

Factory Grill
View attachment 144847

Amazon Grill
View attachment 144848

DRLs
View attachment 144849

Full lights
View attachment 144850

Daytime
View attachment 144863
View attachment 144864
View attachment 144865
I'm adding LED lights to my Bighorn, I have the add a circuit/fuse tap for the power figured out, but where did you end putting the ground wire. I am not very proficient when it comes to wiring so any help would be appreciated.

speedracer

Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these that will fit a TRX? I'd like to find a way to remove the RAM letters and just have the honeycomb. It looks like the Amazon/ebay ones won't work with a TRX.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply. You can run it to any ground bolt in the engine bay or back to the negative terminal on the battery.
Thank you, I plan on installing and running wires this weekend if Hampton Roads weather permits. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread