5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trump Shot?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Square up somewhere else. I have a history with you and don’t want anymore.
You have a history with me because you've tried to call other members out in the past, and been dead wrong. If I was a moderator, I'd hook you up with a timeout.

Instead, I'll just throw you on ignore. Last word is yours, as that seems to be what you're after. 🍻

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did it occur to anyone that perhaps the SS sniper was trying to determine if it was another SS sniper before he pulled the trigger? As soon as the shots were fired, it’s clear. But before that?
If the most elite security team on the planet did not know where all of thier snipers were they need to be arrested for negligence of duty.

When I was a site superintendent OSHA could have held me responsible for a subcontractors negligence since I was the "Competent Person" who had OSHA training. Dr's are responsible for thier actions. Even an accountant can ve held liable for failing at his fiduciary duties.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never shot a deer, but I did play Duck Hunt on NES back in the day. So yeah, I’m pretty sure I woulda stopped the dude.

View attachment 186328
Here you go:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here you go:
Remind me not to hire them....

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see more details and the results of the investigation. I have a hard time believing any of the trigger pullers jacked this up this badly. So much went wrong before the guy even sighted in on the stage.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SS detail was SLOW to respond and get Trump off that stage. Pitiful action by what should be an elite group.

Trump's defiant fist pump, while amazing, exposed him to more potential danger. That detail response is supposed be low and go.
Videos I’ve seen with audio you could clearly hear someone in the SS shout that the shooter had been taken out before they even stood Trump up. Of course you can never know if there’s another shooter, but his fist pump was certainly amazing.

Did it occur to anyone that perhaps the SS sniper was trying to determine if it was another SS sniper before he pulled the trigger? As soon as the shots were fired, it’s clear. But before that?
The counter sniper team would have known where the other members of the team were located. The optics on their rifles would have given them a very clear sight picture. At less than 150 yards it would have been easy for a trained sniper to determine whether or not the suspect was armed.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the most elite security team on the planet did not know where all of thier snipers were they need to be arrested for negligence of duty.
I don’t disagree. Just seems like a possibility. Imagine you’re a SS sniper on the roof and you see a guy across the field coming onto the roof with a sniper rifle. First thought is probably, “hey did we put a guy over there too?”
I know I wouldn’t shoot first and ask if it was an ally later. I’d be on the radio asking…until a shot is fired or I get the correct answer.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. Just seems like a possibility. Imagine you’re a SS sniper on the roof and you see a guy across the field coming onto the roof with a sniper rifle. First thought is probably, “hey did we put a guy over there too?”
I know I wouldn’t shoot first and ask if it was an ally later. I’d be on the radio asking…until a shot is fired or I get the correct answer.
I'm wondering what their ROE were. Also, I saw someone talking about seeing the shooter walking around the crowd, with no mention of him being armed. Pure speculation, but it's possible he stashed the rifle beforehand.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This guy claims to have been on five Presidential details as the local LEO attachment.

Due to X’s post constraints of no more then 280 characters I’ve consolidated his 21 post into one to make it easier to read and to forward to your like minded friends.

(2)
1. The Secret Service employ a multi-tiered defense in depth approach to protective missions. An inner tier offer close protection support, these being the agents you see rushing in and surrounding Trump after the initial shots go off.

(3)
A second middle tier is tasked with identifying and defending against mid-range threats, i.g. the crowd, etc. This tier is largely comprised of local and state law enforcement temporarily attached to the security detail. This is the area that I worked on prior details.

(4)
Finally, you have an extend tier, which covers long distance threats. This can include counter sniper details and cyber/SIGINT support and CBRN defense.

(5)
2. People have wondered how could the counter snipers in the videos not have seen the would be assassin prior to him getting off a shot.
This is because the area of responsibility for those counter snipers on the roof behind Trump was very likely in the extend tier

(6)
Essentially they were scanning for threats a great distances well beyond the roughly 150 meters the threat appeared.
This is evidenced by the fact that the elevated counter sniper has to dramatically drop his line of sight to respond to the shooter.

(7)
Secret Service advanced teams would have absolutely pre-scouted the location and identified the building the shooter used as a vulnerable spot in the defense.
Which begs the question, how was this guy still able to climb on the roof and get off a shot?

(8)
Based on limited details at this point, IMO, the security breakdown occurred in the middle tier, which would likely include law enforcement who were supposed to be assigned to the area near the outbuildings.

(9)
How that significant of a breakdown could occur is up for speculation. However, like I said this tier is largely dependent on local law enforcement and not the Secret Service. So speculatively, the local LEOs who were supposed to be in the area and make sure no one with a

(10)
gun climbed up on the roof, f*cked up.

3. People have said that witnesses saw the guy with the gun on the roof, told police, but that they failed to respond and prevent the assassination attempt.
So how does that happen?

(11)
Well, there’s typically limited lines communication between the Secret Service and the local LEOs working the middle tier.
You usually have one or two local LEO liaisons who have direct communication with the Secret Service, which means communications on the ground

(12)
between the local LEOs being told about the shooter are being routed through dispatch, to local liaisons, then to Secret Service.

Compounding the difficulty to rapidly respond is the fact that there’s always some confusion and inefficiency when multiple different LEO

(13)
agencies come together to work a detail. Most of these agencies aren’t used to working with each other and aren’t given much information beyond a few pre-event briefings.

(14)
I actually saw what can go wrong in these scenarios first-hand when President Bush’s Secret Service detail almost engaged a local police SWAT/counter sniper team during the 2004 G8 summit. No one had properly communicated the local SWAT team’s position so all the

(15)
Secret Service saw was heavily armed individuals with a line of sight on the President.
The whole thing was seconds away from being a tragic incident.

In this same vein, there was likely some delay and confusion with the initial reports of a person with a gun on the roof

(16)
as local cops and Secret Service agents would all be trying to confirm the shooter didn’t belong to one of the security support teams.

(17)
So in summary, when looking for blame in this massive security failure, if I was a betting man, I’d say the answer rests with whatever detail (likely local LEOs) were assigned to the area near the outbuildings.

(18)
I’ll also add that I worked 5 Presidential details as a local LEO attachment. Even though I was in close proximity for each detail, in only 2 of them did I actually ever see the President or Vice President. That was Bush, while he was in the limo driving away. And Chaney

(19)
but that was because I was on an inner position, feet away from him.
You’re explicitly trained that your eyes are always on the crowd, surroundings and potential threats.
Never on the President themselves.
For obvious reasons…

(20)
Now my experience is entirely limited to official presidential visits, which are planned at least months and in some cases a year in advance.
It’s likely that some of the breakdowns or issues I mentioned can be exponentially increased when it comes to campaign trips

21)
as these stops can come up or change on very short notice.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So speculatively, the local LEOs who were supposed to be in the area and make sure no one with a gun climbed up on the roof, f*cked up.
It's crazy how I said the same thing earlier...

I'm not sure why people are focusing on the CS team. They appear to have done their jobs.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If true they had 7 Minutes and 21 Seconds of their eyes on the shooter.

There needs to be a time line made between the guy who was interviewed by the BBC when he started waving at the local LEO’s , the video of where people are yelling he has a gun and we see the guy on top of the building, to the first round being shot and pare it up with the Secret Service Snipers.

I understand the issue of Blue on Blue but at least someone should have removed Trump from the stage until this issue was resolved or taken out.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If true they had 7 Minutes and 21 Seconds of their eyes on the shooter.

There needs to be a time line made between the guy who was interviewed by the BBC when he started waving at the local LEO’s , the video of where people are yelling he has a gun and we see the guy on top of the building, to the first round being shot and pare it up with the Secret Service Snipers.

I understand the issue of Blue on Blue but at least someone should have removed Trump from the stage until this issue was resolved or taken out.
What about that video shows or even suggests they had 7 minutes of visibility on this guy? Was he even on the roof at that point?

Users who are viewing this thread