5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks with and without Anti-Spin

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a deposit on a truck here in Pennsylvania today which seems like a great deal. Additional $4000 off because it's a demo with 1600 miles on it, but I'm just realizing it doesn't have an anti-spin differential. Should I cancel it? I'm seriously concerned since I live up a big hill. My wife and I usually laugh at people with FWD cars losing traction in snow storms and not being able to get up the hill. Will this happen to me even with 4WD? I'm very conflicted as they've run my credit already and I'm supposed to pick it up on Saturday! I'm seriously not sure what to do. I just emailed the sales girl and told her of my concerns. Any advice?
Tell us the VIN and I can pull the build sheet to see what options the truck has.

At the least you will have a 3 wheel drive truck. The traction control will use the brakes to grab the spinning wheel so the other 3 with traction will pull. That's a simplified answer but it generally works that way.

The eLocker locks both rear wheels together. That's not always desireable on ice and snow because the rear end may then slide sideways. Same with the Anti-Slip. Something to think about.

fireron

Reaction score
If you really like/want that particular truck, you could always add an Eaton true track to the rear differential later. It would be better IMHO than the anti-spin as the true track is helical gear driven and has no clutches to wear out. You may be able to do fine without anything else. Just a thought...

fotomatt1

Reaction score
If you really like/want that particular truck, you could always add an Eaton true track to the rear differential later. It would be better IMHO than the anti-spin as the true track is helical gear driven and has no clutches to wear out. You may be able to do fine without anything else. Just a thought...

Will I have trouble getting up a hill in the snow if I don't have anti-spin? I'm looking at all the dealers around here and it seems like only 25% of the trucks in stock in the area have them.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping to see the e-locker. Many of the 4x4 trucks have either one or the other. Honestly, if snow or ice is your main reason for 4x4 then the open differential isn't as big a deal. In mud, climbing dirt hills, or towing a trailer in slick conditions then having both rear wheels pulling is more important.

My truck is a Limited 4x4 with Off Road Package and it has an open differential with a button to activate the e-locker rear end. I have yet to need it. I do tow a 4800 cargo trailer and have to go off-road with it. Maybe it would be handy backing up a hill...but engaging 4 Low would do just as well.

fireron

Reaction score
No way to know for sure unless you try that one hill. Snow is one thing, ice another and maybe the anti spin or the true track might not help on ice. Snow, maybe.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I was hoping to see the e-locker. Many of the 4x4 trucks have either one or the other. Honestly, if snow or ice is your main reason for 4x4 then the open differential isn't as big a deal. In mud, climbing dirt hills, or towing a trailer in slick conditions then having both rear wheels pulling is more important.

My truck is a Limited 4x4 with Off Road Package and it has an open differential with a button to activate the e-locker rear end. I have yet to need it. I do tow a 4800 cargo trailer and have to go off-road with it. Maybe it would be handy backing up a hill...but engaging 4 Low would do just as well.

If engaging 4WD low will give me enough traction to get up a hill then I'm satisfied. I'll never tow a trailer or go off roading. I just don't want to drive something dangerous.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When both rear wheels lock and spin together, the rear will slide sideways. One wheel not spinning acts as an anchor preventing the truck from slipping sideways. 4 HIGH will likely be enough. 4 LOW is even better as long as you are easy on the throttle. The electronic traction control will use each wheel's brake to help control spinning.

That Laramie is a nice ride. If you like it, you should be fine going into 4WD as an on-road traction aid. Winter or All Terrain tires will make a bigger difference than Anti-slip.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For every person who says anti spin is best...someone will say open diff is all you need. With modern day trucks, traction control will make you a professional driver, the problem comes when traction is lost.

No 4wd system is going to be any better on ice. Only dedicated winter tires will help, better with studs.

I have been waiting for a factory offered eLocker on a Ram truck since 1994 when I started driving. When I do finally purchase my next Ram truck it will have eLocker.

If you have a hill that you can't make it up in 4wd and open diff...you need more momentum. When you lose momentum, that is when traction control will hinder you...it will decrease power. (The fwd car will make that hill too with enough momentum)

If you found the truck you want, and your reason to get anti spin is because you read you need it...then just get the truck...unless you have to start out in the middle of that hill, you will be fine.

I guess one thing I have to wrap my head around is people talking about going 40 mph in 4low...4 low doesn't give you more traction...it gives you more power for lighter application of the throttle. Or more power to go up a steep hill or move a load that is a bit over and beyond what you should be moving.

4wd will affect your turning radius, so using 4 low to back a trailer, you are going to have a harder time turning, and if you are not on loose terrian...you will really bind that front end.

This said, I have no recent experience with 1500 trucks...so maybe I am wrong.

An Elocker will lock both wheels and allow for lighter, steadier application of power.

A limited slip does still have to engage, on a new truck it will engage just fine, as you drive it it starts wearing out to eventually one day it does not, usually when you need it most.

If you are just driving to work or the store... any 4wd system will get you there. If you regularly find your self driving on unplowed winter roads, up dirt or muddy roads, and this is often the case, you may need an anti spin.

Just remember, everyone is going to have a different opinion...each is right...to their own circumstances.

Good luck. Purchase the truck and enjoy it.

Mikemike

Reaction score
So does anyone have any idea how much a dealer would want to install and anti spin?

NYRAM

Reaction score
I’ve always had limited slip G80 on all my chevys when I bought my 13’ ram It didn’t come with limited slip and I couldn’t find any with it in my area. But I decided to buy the truck. Every time I’m in sand or a little mud ect I wish I had it. When I ordered my 19’ I decided on the orp and that comes with a locker. Again when I started looking at the 19’s it was almost impossible to find one with a limited slip, I don’t understand why it’s not standard.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Assuming you are talking 2 wheel drive, so rear diff only, I would guess about $1300-$1500 parts and labor for anti spin, not elock
So does anyone have any idea how much a dealer would want t

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rear Axle setups:
Any advice on rear axle's (2019's). eLock vs Anti-slip. Are they worth the money and what does each do, which is better for what?

Not off-roading. I pull a 9,000 lb travel trailer (fully loaded) on to the soft sand beach ever week July-Sept. As long as air down, no problem. Did it with a '13 Avalanche (1500) for years. Snow - only 3 or 4 times a year so not a big deal. So I do not think they would be a must have. Will always be in 4WD so in my thinking that would take care of what they would provide anyway so I am thinking I would not need them. I would rather do the eTorque vs the rears. Will upgrade to larger engine and 3.92 axle.

Any info would be great. About to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited build this week.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rear Axle setups:
Any advice on rear axle's (2019's). eLock vs Anti-slip. Are they worth the money and what does each do, which is better for what?

Not off-roading. I pull a 9,000 lb travel trailer (fully loaded) on to the soft sand beach ever week July-Sept. As long as air down, no problem. Did it with a '13 Avalanche (1500) for years. Snow - only 3 or 4 times a year so not a big deal. So I do not think they would be a must have. Will always be in 4WD so in my thinking that would take care of what they would provide anyway so I am thinking I would not need them. I would rather do the eTorque vs the rears. Will upgrade to larger engine and 3.92 axle.

Any info would be great. About to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited build this week.
In my opinion, you won’t need the anti-spin when you’re running loaded on the road, and it won’t do anything for you on sand. The ELocker, however, would provide extra traction on sand if you ever needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread