5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks with and without Anti-Spin

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a post earlier today from @John318 about his regret not making sure his truck had anti spin, and I just wanted to touch base on everyones experience with dealing with traction issues. I’ll start.

I had a 2005 Dodge Dakota and a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara without anti slip, this changed everything for me. I live in central Kentucky so we rarely get snow, but it’s a lot of ice and wet roads. The wrangler couldn’t get traction for the life of it unless I put it into 4WD. This made me constantly uneasy because im not one to leave my car in 4wd for more than I have to IF that’s how it’s equipped. I then got a 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland that has full-time awd and a traditional 4wd system for 3 years. I LOVED this, it’s a very secure feeling knowing I can press the gas on a hard right turn from a stoplight with wet roads and not slip a bit.

So when I started looking for trucks, I wanted to find something similar, with the 4auto option. Starting from the F150 research, I saw myself getting anything Lariat and above to maintain the same driving I had with my jeep. Then the 2019 refreshed Ram came out and it was a done deal. I’ve always like that chevy and ram offered the AWD systems in way lesser trims. So when I bought my truck off the lot I was happy enough knowing 4auto was an option, but the truck ALSO has anti slip which I’ve never had before. So 2,000 miles in and…it appears auto is just not needed. I have pushed it pretty good and wet roads in 2wd and the truck has plenty of traction which I just was not expecting. My question is, would a f150 (XLT) drive similar with anti spin? Or is this unique to Ram? Or am I out of my mind in what im experiencing lol. Any feedback would be appreciated and hopefully helpful to future buyers.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm currently driving my Grand Cherokee Limited with ORA2. Like you said "secure". I LOVE the full time 4WD (Quadra-drive) operation with e-locker rear axle. It is IMHO the best all around 4WD mechanism on the market.

In researching trucks, it appears the Ram's 4AUTO mode is equivalent when the Off Road Group, which includes the e-locker rear axle, is included. The anti-spin is similar but doesn't trully lock the axle. I'm sure I'd be happy with either but I wanted the skid plates as well so I went with the ORG.

I hope my Limited 4x4 is as sure footed as my Jeep. I'll be impressed if it is. The stability of the Jeep on ice covered roads is incredible. I've pulled my neighbors out numerous times where pickups failed.

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In conditions like wet roads snow mud etc Trucks without anti spin send all power to the tire with least amount of traction though design, Anti spin (in the rams) uses clutches so when more traction is needed both tires are locked together but when not needed still functions like an open differential to allow cornering. Higher end systems like in grand cherokees and other jeeps (excluding wrangler) use computers to detect slip and can send all power to one single tire if necessary to maintain traction. 2wd in the rams should be plenty for wet roads and such and 4wd auto should provide similar confidence inspiring driving in snow and such as the jeep

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F150s don't offer anti spin and haven't in years. Both my 2014 and 2016 had an electronic locking rear axle which I paid extra for.

It's useless in day to day driving. You have to engage it before wheel slip and it locks the rear axle together. It'll automatically disengage at 20mph.

After having the Ram a few weeks wirh the anti spin, its it's a much better option and I'm glad to have it.

whododat

Reaction score
My 2016 had an open diff and my 19 has the anti spin. My wife would complain when it rained with the 2016 as it would lose traction when making a turn or accelerating quicker than normal. With the 19 and the anti spin diff, she has not noticed it and neither have I. Same tires on both.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
F150s don't offer anti spin and haven't in years. Both my 2014 and 2016 had an electronic locking rear axle which I paid extra for.

It's useless in day to day driving. You have to engage it before wheel slip and it locks the rear axle together. It'll automatically disengage at 20mph.

After having the Ram a few weeks wirh the anti spin, its it's a much better option and I'm glad to have it.

That's what I was curious about, real world experiences. Sounds like it lines up pretty much with my complaint over the Wrangler. I see engaging a rear locker as 1 step above having to engage 4wd. Overall, just surprised how much of a difference it makes, I had expected to leave this car in 4A all the time but it never feels warranted now.

For anyone interested, there are some pretty good videos if you're interested in how it works

John813

Reaction score
@John813 , is the truck pretty squirrelly without it?

No. Been through some good rains down here in FL at highway speeds and city driving. Truck feels planted/no issues yet. Maybe the traction control for 19 does a good job? Regardless, I want it lol. Doh on my part for not double checking the window sticker.
Need to contact Dodge/Ram dealership to see what the damage would be. Some 4th Gen threads some dealers claimed they had to replace the axle while others would just simply swap the diff.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. Been through some good rains down here in FL at highway speeds and city driving. Truck feels planted/no issues yet. Maybe the traction control for 19 does a good job? Regardless, I want it lol. Doh on my part for not double checking the window sticker.
Need to contact Dodge/Ram dealership to see what the damage would be. Some 4th Gen threads some dealers claimed they had to replace the axle while others would just simply swap the diff.

lol glad to hear you aren't having issues tho!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was unsure as to which one to get, anti-slip or e-locker. I obviously needed one or the other. IMO, a pickup that is going to be used as such at all must have one or the other. I don’t do any major off -roading but do pull trailers on county roads with loose gravel, drive in pastures, and park on road side hills to check crops in fields. Sounds simple but when you do these things often it’s nice knowing you can just get in and go with both rear tires pushing you instead of switching in and out of four wheel drive all day. My 2010 Ram 3500 has a anti slip. It seems more like a posi track than a anti. Both rear wheels always have traction, sometimes you can even feel it when turning on pavement, and when you power brake it on pavement :whistle:;) both rears turn. In the older fords with limited slip both rears would turn on dirt or loose gravel but not on pavement. Seemed a little more laxed than the Ram. My ram wears rear tires out a little faster also, which obviously as my mechanic even stated (and he is a ford guy) that the ram rear anti-slip is closer to a posi than other makes and it will wear rear tires a little faster. I chose the e-locker this time to try it. This brings up a question so bear with me because I am asking before I have researched which I normally don’t do. Does the e-locker make a anti slip a posi, or does it make a open axle a anti-slip or even a posi? Also, can you just run the e-locker all the time since I’m sure it will shut off above a certain speed ( Ford shuts off at 20 mph). Was just wondering if you could run it all the time, would be no harder on the rear axle or rear tires than a posi track at the worse right? Or is it not designed to run constantly? Just some questions I figured others would be wondering also. Sorry for the long read. Thanks!(y)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was unsure as to which one to get, anti-slip or e-locker. I obviously needed one or the other. IMO, a pickup that is going to be used as such at all must have one or the other. I don’t do any major off -roading but do pull trailers on county roads with loose gravel, drive in pastures, and park on road side hills to check crops in fields. Sounds simple but when you do these things often it’s nice knowing you can just get in and go with both rear tires pushing you instead of switching in and out of four wheel drive all day. My 2010 Ram 3500 has a anti slip. It seems more like a posi track than a anti. Both rear wheels always have traction, sometimes you can even feel it when turning on pavement, and when you power brake it on pavement :whistle:;) both rears turn. In the older fords with limited slip both rears would turn on dirt or loose gravel but not on pavement. Seemed a little more laxed than the Ram. My ram wears rear tires out a little faster also, which obviously as my mechanic even stated (and he is a ford guy) that the ram rear anti-slip is closer to a posi than other makes and it will wear rear tires a little faster. I chose the e-locker this time to try it. This brings up a question so bear with me because I am asking before I have researched which I normally don’t do. Does the e-locker make a anti slip a posi, or does it make a open axle a anti-slip or even a posi? Also, can you just run the e-locker all the time since I’m sure it will shut off above a certain speed ( Ford shuts off at 20 mph). Was just wondering if you could run it all the time, would be no harder on the rear axle or rear tires than a posi track at the worse right? Or is it not designed to run constantly? Just some questions I figured others would be wondering also. Sorry for the long read. Thanks!(y)

You can't run it full time, at least not in the Ford. It locks both rear wheels together and they'd bind around turns, etc.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The eLocker has to be engaged with the switch and then disengages at 10mph and will reengage going under 10mph, so long as you don't disengage the switch or shut the truck off and not reengage the switch.

If you are leaving the truck running while you check your crops you would get back in and the eLocker would still be ready to use.

The eLocker will be useful if you back trailers up on loose ground. You won't have to engage 4wd which will allow for a better turning radius.

Now that the eLocker ia available I wouldn't buy a Ram with out it.

But also, for most people, the anti spin will be more than enough.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remeber, the anti spin will only work if you get the mechanism to work. Sometimes you got to get creative, but on a new truck you won't find this issue for quite some time. The eLocker you just engage the button and they are locked.

Now that being if the new anti spin is a clutch type. Which I am not for sure.

They both will be be disengaged during normal speeds, and you would never want a fully locked rearend for street driving, though it can be done, although cautiously. But that isn't a worry with either application.

It does come down to being half dozen of one, 6 of the other.

A person with open dif vs anti spin vs eLocker is similar to the person with 3.21 vs 3.55 vs 3.92.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Remeber, the anti spin will only work if you get the mechanism to work. Sometimes you got to get creative, but on a new truck you won't find this issue for quite some time. The eLocker you just engage the button and they are locked.

Now that being if the new anti spin is a clutch type. Which I am not for sure.

They both will be be disengaged during normal speeds, and you would never want a fully locked rearend for street driving, though it can be done, although cautiously. But that isn't a worry with either application.

It does come down to being half dozen of one, 6 of the other.

A person with open dif vs anti spin vs eLocker is similar to the person with 3.21 vs 3.55 vs 3.92.

Rams anit-spin/limited slip is always there and will always engage when needed (when 1 wheel begins to slip) - nothing to engage or remember to engage before getting into trouble. No mechanism to fail unless the clutch packs in the anit-slip fail/wear out themselves...

Very disappointed to hear the new e-locker disengages at 10 mph - that cant be true.. I thought you could engage it while moving up to 10 mph but then it stays engaged above that...any verification? 10 mph is way too slow when you need momentum and traction to get out of trouble.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rams anit-spin/limited slip is always there and will always engage when needed (when 1 wheel begins to slip) - nothing to engage or remember to engage before getting into trouble. No mechanism to fail unless the clutch packs in the anit-slip fail/wear out themselves...

Very disappointed to hear the new e-locker disengages at 10 mph - that cant be true.. I thought you could engage it while moving up to 10 mph but then it stays engaged above that...any verification? 10 mph is way too slow when you need momentum and traction to get out of trouble.
It’s not a specific speed; it’s designed to disengage when equal traction is realized, whatever the speed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not a specific speed; it’s designed to disengage when equal traction is realized, whatever the speed.
The good think about it is that you get ‘full lock’ on demand, unlike LSD. Both are useful...they just work in different ways. Again, I’d recommend looking at Eaton’s site, since they make all types and describe applications for them.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
So it could be forcing engagement then disengaging several times one right after the other in certain circumstances? All while the button says its locked? Interesting. That to me takes away some of the advantage of being able to select when to "fully lock" if it decides on its own it does need to be fully locked...not really a problem if it re-engages smoothly and is reliable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it could be forcing engagement then disengaging several times one right after the other in certain circumstances? All while the button says its locked? Interesting. That to me takes away some of the advantage of being able to select when to "fully lock" if it decides on its own it does need to be fully locked...
I don’t know how long it retains lock once equal traction is realized, but I have some faith in Eaton’s engineers...I’m guessing it’s not an instant release (to avoid on/off behavior). Somebody smarter than me needs to chime in!

Users who are viewing this thread