5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks with and without Anti-Spin

I don’t know how long it retains lock once equal traction is realized, but I have some faith in Eaton’s engineers...I’m guessing it’s not an instant release (to avoid on/off behavior). Somebody smarter than me needs to chime in!

I do too. I really like the Eaton trutrac i put on my truck to replace the factory LSD. Didn't know Rams e-locker was an eaton. Do you know who makes Ram's LSD?

I can not find alot of specifics about the new axles. Only thing that they go in depth on is the new super dana 60 center section available on the max tow, and I am not even sure anyone has ordered one of them.

Where I got the 10mph was from a review of the Rebel, which may be wrong.

Now that I am second guessing myself, I need to find this info and it is like they took it all off the internet.

@redriderbob could you enlighten us on any press releases Ram may have done abut the new axles.

What I figured, do you know if it automatically shuts off during a tight turn. Just curious.

The Ford does not. Pull out the 4x4 knob while going less than 20mph and it'll stay engaged until you exceed 20mph or you turn it off. I've only used it once over 3 years between 2 different F150s.

I presumed this because Ram advertises “ELocker”, which is trademarked by Eaton.
And i have noticed in the three different guides I have looked at that it is spelled eLocker, ELocker, and elocker. Very confusing.

And in another thread we had discussed the way the description was the same for the anti spin and eLocker. Very confusing.

@RamCares can you bring some sanity to this debacle.

Manufacture, specs, anything.

Eaton ELocker
The Eaton (eaton.com) ELocker is a selectable locker that is activated via a 12V wire. When unlocked, it’s an open differential. When locked, it sort of acts like a spool. When you change directions (forward/reverse) the unit unlocks and then locks again. This could be a problem for those who need to rock the vehicle in Drive and Reverse to get unstuck. The newer versions of the Eaton ELocker feature four differential gears instead of two, making it significantly stronger.

Pros
No on-road side effects Engages quickly

Cons
Automatically disengages and reengages when you change direction
Included wiring, relay, and switch need to be adapted to the vehicle

Factory Limited-Slip
A factory limited-slip differential provides a greater torque bias and therefore offers more traction potential than a standard open differential. There are several different types of factory limited slips. However, most of them are designed to work seamlessly on the street, making them less useful off-road. Several OE off-road packages include a limited-slip rear differential. Only a handful are available with an optional limited-slip front differential. Most of the OE limited slips use clutches to create the torque bias, and often the clutches typically wear out long before the rest of the vehicle does. Most OE limited slips can be rebuilt at home to work like new again.

Pros
Near seamless on the street Comes stock in some 4x4s

Cons
Not much better than an open differential in most cases
Some clutch-type limited slips can wear out in 15,000-30,000 miles

Some thoughts from four wheel offroad.

Thanks for that info devildodge. I will say the Rams LSD (clutch type) lasts longer than 30k but is not as agressive as the eaton trutrac (helical gear) i have now.

The Limited slip in my truck is long past its serviceable life, but with some throttle manipulation and some brake technique it will still lock... I would love this new eLocker in mine.

Eaton ELocker
The Eaton (eaton.com) ELocker is a selectable locker that is activated via a 12V wire. When unlocked, it’s an open differential. When locked, it sort of acts like a spool. When you change directions (forward/reverse) the unit unlocks and then locks again. This could be a problem for those who need to rock the vehicle in Drive and Reverse to get unstuck. The newer versions of the Eaton ELocker feature four differential gears instead of two, making it significantly stronger.

Pros
No on-road side effects Engages quickly

Cons
Automatically disengages and reengages when you change direction
Included wiring, relay, and switch need to be adapted to the vehicle

Factory Limited-Slip
A factory limited-slip differential provides a greater torque bias and therefore offers more traction potential than a standard open differential. There are several different types of factory limited slips. However, most of them are designed to work seamlessly on the street, making them less useful off-road. Several OE off-road packages include a limited-slip rear differential. Only a handful are available with an optional limited-slip front differential. Most of the OE limited slips use clutches to create the torque bias, and often the clutches typically wear out long before the rest of the vehicle does. Most OE limited slips can be rebuilt at home to work like new again.

Pros
Near seamless on the street Comes stock in some 4x4s

Cons
Not much better than an open differential in most cases
Some clutch-type limited slips can wear out in 15,000-30,000 miles

Some thoughts from four wheel offroad.

Good comment on some of the clutch style limited slips wearing out. I had to have the differential clutch pack changed on my ‘17 Expedition at 42,000 miles. It is a 3:73 limited slip. Luckily it was covered under factory drivetrain warranty.

Remeber, the anti spin will only work if you get the mechanism to work. Sometimes you got to get creative, but on a new truck you won't find this issue for quite some time. The eLocker you just engage the button and they are locked.

Now that being if the new anti spin is a clutch type. Which I am not for sure.

They both will be be disengaged during normal speeds, and you would never want a fully locked rearend for street driving, though it can be done, although cautiously. But that isn't a worry with either application.

It does come down to being half dozen of one, 6 of the other.

A person with open dif vs anti spin vs eLocker is similar to the person with 3.21 vs 3.55 vs 3.92.

Thanks for the good info, not that I would want to have it on going down the road but was just curious of how it would react, if it was similar to the old hot rod racers and the posi track of the past. Friend of mine has e-locker on his F250, we tried it today. Tuned it on in a large stone drive and turned the truck. Definitely like a posi, inside tire scoots and hops obviously while turning. On the road it disengages once over 20mph and a message comes on the dash display reading track lock disengaged. This stays on until your speed is back under 20mph. I wouldn’t want to drive around all day anyway with this message reading if you left it on! Obviously with the lock on you can’t turn well going down the road anyway. Don’t want to break anything. Basically like a farm tractor axle lock. You cannot turn them well at all, better make sure it is off before you need to turn at the end of the field or you will be into the woods or whatever is around you before you know what happened!

The Limited slip in my truck is long past its serviceable life, but with some throttle manipulation and some brake technique it will still lock... I would love this new eLocker in mine.
The 'posi' LSD in my '03 GMC is still functioning at 170K miles, but I try not to spin the tires that often ;)

I can not find alot of specifics about the new axles. Only thing that they go in depth on is the new super dana 60 center section available on the max tow, and I am not even sure anyone has ordered one of them.

Where I got the 10mph was from a review of the Rebel, which may be wrong.

Now that I am second guessing myself, I need to find this info and it is like they took it all off the internet.

@redriderbob could you enlighten us on any press releases Ram may have done abut the new axles.

1531334851775.png

Axles
Powertrain engineers reworked the rear axle for the 2019 Ram 1500 with the aim of increasing performance, durability and efficiency.

Front and rear wheels and hubs adopt a 6-lug bolt pattern. The new Ram 1500 is also fitted with a new electronic parking brake.

Three final drive ratios are available on 2WD and 4WD models – 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92. Each combination is available with a traditional open or limited-slip differential, which automatically divides torque among the rear wheels to maximize traction available at each wheel.

New for 2019 is an electronic locking differential, available on 4WD trucks with the 3.21 and 3.55 final drive ratio and lifted suspension, and 2WD and 4WD trucks with the 3.92 ratio with the base or lifted suspension (Rebel and 4x4 Off-road Package). The electronic system gives the driver the ability to lock or unlock the differential on demand, providing maximum traction to the vehicle when needed.

Also new for 2019 is a Max Tow Package, an option with the 3.92 final drive ratio offering up to 12,750 pounds of towing capability. The Max Tow Package is based around a Dana Super 60 center section and open differential with a 256-millimeter gear set, and uses 35-spline axle shafts. It is available on 2WD trucks powered by the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 with eTorque.

Yay...I'm getting a Super 60! Beefier is better. I had no idea when I made the selection. The build and price site is not very clear on this.

Yay...I'm getting a Super 60! Beefier is better. I had no idea when I made the selection. The build and price site is not very clear on this.

Dont want to burst your bubble, but the super 60 is only for 4x2 trucks and not 4x4. Based on your sig you ordered a 4x4.

Pop. Lol. No wonder there was no mention of it. Thanks for the info. I won't be towing over 5k anyways. I have a bigger truck for the RV.

Any word on when the 3.55 will be released?

A dealership ordering a 2019 Ram without either the anti-spin or locking diff is just stupid. Mind you, where I'm from a truck without 4WD is a blasphemy. For how cheap the option is, every truck should have one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back