5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck rear end sway

hotjava66

Reaction score
People are towing much heavier and longer trailers with no issues, stock (myself included). Check the the alignment on the truck. Adjust tire pressure to min of 40psi. Check tires on the trailer. You just have to go thru the process of elimination to find the root cause of the issue. These trucks are very good 1/2 ton towing platforms, not to say that there could be a combination of issues that causes your sway.
That is the part that bugs me, I bought this truck partly because of the great towing reviews. I have checked all the obvious and easy stuff, air pressures etc first, lots of towing experience. Then started upgrading one at a time, tires, sway bar, to see if each was the problem. Have tried multiple trailers, same deal. Checked trailer alignment(dead on but it is nearly new didn’t expect anything). It bugs the hell out of me to troubleshoot, change parts, etc on a NEW truck on my dime and time. I’m pretty handy and fairly well versed in wrenching on stuff but I don’t have a hoist and again feel like I should not have to be crawling around under a NEW truck. It just feels to me like there is something loose or not tight in the suspension that is allowing a little yaw or lateral movement just enough for the trailer to be able to shove it a little. I did notice yesterday with windows down now that its warming up there is a slight rattle somewhere going over a bump, maybe something will show up.

airman734

Reaction score
That is the part that bugs me, I bought this truck partly because of the great towing reviews. I have checked all the obvious and easy stuff, air pressures etc first, lots of towing experience. Then started upgrading one at a time, tires, sway bar, to see if each was the problem. Have tried multiple trailers, same deal. Checked trailer alignment(dead on but it is nearly new didn’t expect anything). It bugs the hell out of me to troubleshoot, change parts, etc on a NEW truck on my dime and time. I’m pretty handy and fairly well versed in wrenching on stuff but I don’t have a hoist and again feel like I should not have to be crawling around under a NEW truck. It just feels to me like there is something loose or not tight in the suspension that is allowing a little yaw or lateral movement just enough for the trailer to be able to shove it a little. I did notice yesterday with windows down now that its warming up there is a slight rattle somewhere going over a bump, maybe something will show up.

I have also spent a lot of time and money trying to figure this out. I have a good relationship with one of the RV dealers and they let me try several trailers, they also went through mine and couldn't find anything. There is a hitch manufacturer in my city that I just happen to know, and the owner had a team of people set my truck and trailer up for that hitch and it did nothing. I have also played with tires and pressures and such.
If I ever figure it out I will definitely post as I know that a lot of people have amazing experiences with this truck and that is the reason I bought it. It is extremely frustrating that I just can't seem to find the factor causing this.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I have also spent a lot of time and money trying to figure this out. I have a good relationship with one of the RV dealers and they let me try several trailers, they also went through mine and couldn't find anything. There is a hitch manufacturer in my city that I just happen to know, and the owner had a team of people set my truck and trailer up for that hitch and it did nothing. I have also played with tires and pressures and such.
If I ever figure it out I will definitely post as I know that a lot of people have amazing experiences with this truck and that is the reason I bought it. It is extremely frustrating that I just can't seem to find the factor causing this.
Completely understand. hotjava66 mentioned the possibility of loose suspension components, we bought a brand new '19 Wrangler TJ JL :rolleyes:and had an issue with front suspension components not torqued correctly (later recalled). Before the Jeep, I would say that it was unlikely to have suspension components not torqued correctly in this day and age...
What type of tires are you running? I see that you have the off road package.

Last edited:

airman734

Reaction score
Completely understand. hotjava66 mentioned the possibility of loose suspension components, we bought a brand new '19 Wrangler TJ and had an issue with front suspension components not torqued correctly (later recalled). Before the Jeep, I would say that it was unlikely to have suspension components not torqued correctly in this day and age...
What type of tires are you running? I see that you have the off road package.

I changed to an E Rated Big O Brand AT tire which was basically the same size as my stock tires. I have used the same brand tire on several of my old trucks so I knew it was a solid choice.

I did move this weekend and borrowed a friends 25 foot enclosed trailer. It was 8 feet tall and 8 feet wide. It was a big trailer. It seems like because the rear air bags pump a bunch of pressure in to level the truck that the rear end "floats" or is able to sway back and forth with the bags. I have no clue of that makes sense to you or not, but I'm not sure how to explain it any better.

Ram4141

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure out the cause of their sway? I am having the same issues.

jermball623

Reaction score
Could be a number of things like have been said. Kind of have to make sure everything is set up right. And if you find one thing that may be wrong fix it and take it for a drive. I had to unhook and rehook my TT several times before I got it set up to a comfortable feel to drive down the highway on a windy day.

JeremyLee

Reaction score
it sounds like an airbag issue. not sure if your truck has airbags or not. I tried to read through all the post and only saw it mentioned. I am waiting on my B&W turnover gooseneck hitch to be shipped and will be getting that put in. I mention air bags because I ran some on my Tundra had one that wasn’t pumping up correctly and it caused all kinds of weird issues. I actually thought I had broken the frame for a while.

Ram4141

Reaction score
I do not have airbags. I have notice with the radio off when hitting a bump I hear a knocking or rattle in the front. If it is loose sway bar links could that cause an issue?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it sounds like an airbag issue. not sure if your truck has airbags or not. I tried to read through all the post and only saw it mentioned. I am waiting on my B&W turnover gooseneck hitch to be shipped and will be getting that put in. I mention air bags because I ran some on my Tundra had one that wasn’t pumping up correctly and it caused all kinds of weird issues. I actually thought I had broken the frame for a while.
Do you have air bags. If so, you might want to look seriously at the hellwig sway bar.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @Ram4141 - If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

JeremyLee

Reaction score
I do not have airbags. I have notice with the radio off when hitting a bump I hear a knocking or rattle in the front. If it is loose sway bar links could that cause an issue?
Yes if you have a loose spring assembly, ball joint, control arm or tie rod end it will definitely cause odd swaying issues

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Trailer is a 21’x7’ v nose cargo weighs 2000 empty no more than 4000 loaded most times less. Have tried tongue weight from 400 to 700 ish doesn’t seem to matter much. My 14x7 does the same thing but is lighter. Pulled friends 27’ same issue. If I need a WDH for this light of a trailer the truck is a POS, my other trucks pull it fine without being pushed all over.
I got a the shortbed and never had that issue. I sold my house last year and hauled almost everything i own 3 hours across the state to store at my parents. Made the trip 2x and each time I was loaded like this picture below. I had the trailer probably overloaded and the bed stuffed full. I would guess the trailer was 3200lbs with another 500ish in the bed. Didn't get any major sway. I always air up the rear tires when i tow, then dump them down later.

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_115209.jpg
    IMG_20191221_115209.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 76

hotjava66

Reaction score
Interesting that you mention this, I too have noticed a rattle somewhere when if I go over a rough section of road. Can’t quite pinpoint the location. Actually made a trip with trailer today, still a bit of a handful. It just feels to me like there is something not quite tight that allows a touch of yaw then a rebound oscillation. When a crosswind pushes it you get a “loose” feel like when you hit an icy spot unaware. Then a strange wiggle as it tries to straighten out. Can wander nearly out of the lane. Just for comparison, when I got back from trip I left the identical load on the trailer and hooked it up with my hitch at same height to my dads 2020 Chevy 1500. Took a ride down same highway at same speed for a few miles. Could feel the crosswind pushing just as hard, but definitely easier to track straight with a little correction didnt get that rebound kick like my Ram. That being said I still like the Ram way better, just need to get this towing thing under control. Thinking about trying a friction style sway bar without WDH and see if it helps.

hotjava66

Reaction score
Just a thought about some of the above statements, I have heard about some of the issues with the front sway bar links. Maybe have been looking in the wrong place with rear end stuff, might be front end related? Also does anyone have the torque specs for the suspension components, 4 link ends, etc on these trucks wouldn’t take much to put it on a lift and do a quick check.

Ramster

Reaction score
Without doing my own research does anyone know if the wheelbase changes when going to a long bed with crew cab or do they just add the length of the truck past the axle?

slimchance

Reaction score
i checked the window sticker and the build sheet for my 2 trks whl bases ... nothing.... but i can tell ya, the wheel to wheel running boards are longer on the 8' bed and when i took my old 8' rubber bed mat and put it in the 6'5" bed, i had to cut off some on the front end of the mat

Ramster

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a difference in distance between the axle and the hitch. Seems to me if the extra length in the cab and the long box were just added past the axle then you have more tail wag behind the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread