5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck rear end sway

hotjava66

Reaction score
I posted on another thread about this but would like to hear from the folks who have been having the same issue. Seems like a small percentage of us have had this issue and curious if there is a common configuration or circumstance that we may be able to narrow down. I really like this truck but if I cannot get this figured out I will be switching back to another brand. My truck is a 2020 1500 Laramie Crew 6.5 box non air ride 5.7. So far I have upgraded to 10 ply tires and a Hellwig sway bar, both of which have helped somewhat but not 100%.
Before someone throws out the improper tongue weight or setup statement, this is NOT the case or problem. I have extensive experience towing loads commercially, tongue weight is correct, trailers are level, truck squat is level, hitch is solid, no extended hitch, etc. Have towed two of my own trailers and also a friends trailer, all somewhat different configurations but all newer and it good order so not a trailer problem. They are all enclosed cargo or snowmobile trailers which do have more side area for wind to push.
Basically what happens is any little cross breeze, passing car, or other small wind disturbance, the trailer pushes the rear of the truck to the side, it’s almost as if there is enough give somewhere to allow the trailer to gain a touch of momentum, enough to give the truck a shove and push the rear off center. Then it hits the limit of movement and rebounds back. You can feel it seat of the pants and visually see the truck flex off center. Its enough that you have to counter steer a little, and is downright dicey on icy or slippery roads. It makes for an uncomfortable ride and not much fun having to be on your toes fighting it, especially if it’s a little windy. Passengers have commented on it and my wife almost gets motion sickness from it.
I am going to try a few more things but getting a bit frustrated with it, have owned both other brands of truck that did not feel this way, my previous 1500 Chevy towed the same trailer without this issue. I dont know if it’s this configuration, or the coil over suspension, or something that didn’t get done or tightened up on a few trucks but would like to see if there is correlation with others. Thanks for any input.

airman734

Reaction score
I have spent nearly a year working with tires and hitches and set-up's to try and figure out my sway. I got so frustrated I gave up and am selling my camper. It really stinks because I towed it with my 1500 Chevy for 3 years all over the place and I never had one issue. With my RAM, it is absolutely scary to have a trailer behind the truck. I wish I could help, but I could never figure out my issue.
All of my info is in my signature. I was trying to tow a 28 foot at about 6k and a 25 foot enclosed V-nose with 4 Harley's in it.

I can't afford to get a different truck now, so I just swap my dad for his Duramax if I need to have a trailer. I am lucky to have that option at this point.

hotjava66

Reaction score
I have spent nearly a year working with tires and hitches and set-up's to try and figure out my sway. I got so frustrated I gave up and am selling my camper. It really stinks because I towed it with my 1500 Chevy for 3 years all over the place and I never had one issue. With my RAM, it is absolutely scary to have a trailer behind the truck. I wish I could help, but I could never figure out my issue.
All of my info is in my signature. I was trying to tow a 28 foot at about 6k and a 25 foot enclosed V-nose with 4 Harley's in it.

I can't afford to get a different truck now, so I just swap my dad for his Duramax if I need to have a trailer. I am lucky to have that option at this point.
That sucks, it seems there are a handful of these trucks with this problem out there. I agree it is unnerving at best and scary if roads are bad. Truck is going to dealer tomorrow, I don’t have much faith they will find anything but you never know. Going to lean on them pretty hard, I bought this truck to pull my toys around and it’s unreasonable for a new truck to be tossed around by a trailer half it’s weight, and like you my previous 1500 Chevy towed the same trailer without any of this.

buffalobill

Reaction score
I replaced a 2007 Duramax with this Ram and can honnestly say this truck handles better pulling my 25 ' trailer .

airman734

Reaction score
I see so many great towing posts, I sure wish I could figure out what exactly was causing my issue. I want to be one of the happy people with this truck.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I posted on another thread about this but would like to hear from the folks who have been having the same issue. Seems like a small percentage of us have had this issue and curious if there is a common configuration or circumstance that we may be able to narrow down. I really like this truck but if I cannot get this figured out I will be switching back to another brand. My truck is a 2020 1500 Laramie Crew 6.5 box non air ride 5.7. So far I have upgraded to 10 ply tires and a Hellwig sway bar, both of which have helped somewhat but not 100%.
Before someone throws out the improper tongue weight or setup statement, this is NOT the case or problem. I have extensive experience towing loads commercially, tongue weight is correct, trailers are level, truck squat is level, hitch is solid, no extended hitch, etc. Have towed two of my own trailers and also a friends trailer, all somewhat different configurations but all newer and it good order so not a trailer problem. They are all enclosed cargo or snowmobile trailers which do have more side area for wind to push.
Basically what happens is any little cross breeze, passing car, or other small wind disturbance, the trailer pushes the rear of the truck to the side, it’s almost as if there is enough give somewhere to allow the trailer to gain a touch of momentum, enough to give the truck a shove and push the rear off center. Then it hits the limit of movement and rebounds back. You can feel it seat of the pants and visually see the truck flex off center. Its enough that you have to counter steer a little, and is downright dicey on icy or slippery roads. It makes for an uncomfortable ride and not much fun having to be on your toes fighting it, especially if it’s a little windy. Passengers have commented on it and my wife almost gets motion sickness from it.
I am going to try a few more things but getting a bit frustrated with it, have owned both other brands of truck that did not feel this way, my previous 1500 Chevy towed the same trailer without this issue. I dont know if it’s this configuration, or the coil over suspension, or something that didn’t get done or tightened up on a few trucks but would like to see if there is correlation with others. Thanks for any input.
I wonder if this issue is specific to long bed trucks, as they are much more rare. Perhaps the change in the truck’s center of mass due to the long bed creates an issue most of us haven’t encountered?

airman734

Reaction score
I wonder if this issue is specific to long bed trucks, as they are much more rare. Perhaps the change in the truck’s center of mass due to the long bed creates an issue most of us haven’t encountered?
That is a good thought. Definitely can't fix that problem... without buying another truck. :-(

hotjava66

Reaction score
I see so many great towing posts, I sure wish I could figure out what exactly was causing my issue. I want to be one of the happy people with this truck.
Same here, love the truck other than the towing.

hotjava66

Reaction score
I don’t know if the wheelbase is different from the short box but generally a longer wheelbase is more stable and a better towing platform than a shorter one

hotjava66

Reaction score
Update, went to dealer today, tech did not find anything obviously “broken” or “loose”. Honestly did not expect any different. Service writer said he believes what I am telling him but cannot do much without something to point to or multiple complaints on same issue to kick it up the ladder. Tech tried telling me the Laramie has a softer suspension than the Bighorn and that the truck is not really made to tow heavy loads. I was nice and explained I was only towing HALF the rated towing payload, should be more than able, I really don’t believe the heavy tow package is much more than the 3.92 rear and maybe a different coil. I’m going back with a trailer to take them for a ride. Also tried telling me I might be towing too fast, if the truck can’t pull this trailer at speed limit it should not be on the road. And why does my other truck pull it fine no sway at all? Tech also said maybe I should put heavier springs/ airbags/ bigger sway links and panhard bar on, smh.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if the wheelbase is different from the short box but generally a longer wheelbase is more stable and a better towing platform than a shorter one
Agreed (in general). But it could be that there’s a frame weakness or inherent instability that you’ve discovered. Anyway, it was just a thought.

Ram4141

Reaction score
Update, went to dealer today, tech did not find anything obviously “broken” or “loose”. Honestly did not expect any different. Service writer said he believes what I am telling him but cannot do much without something to point to or multiple complaints on same issue to kick it up the ladder. Tech tried telling me the Laramie has a softer suspension than the Bighorn and that the truck is not really made to tow heavy loads. I was nice and explained I was only towing HALF the rated towing payload, should be more than able, I really don’t believe the heavy tow package is much more than the 3.92 rear and maybe a different coil. I’m going back with a trailer to take them for a ride. Also tried telling me I might be towing too fast, if the truck can’t pull this trailer at speed limit it should not be on the road. And why does my other truck pull it fine no sway at all? Tech also said maybe I should put heavier springs/ airbags/ bigger sway links and panhard bar on, smh.
I have had similar issues with my Ram. I previously owned a 16' Cc Laramie and never had an issue. I am towing same trailer, same cargo and now same tires. This 19' is all over the road and my 16' was rock solid.

jermball623

Reaction score
I have a 32 ft. Camper and when I first hooked up with my centerline ts and air bags, it was scary and all over the place. The next weekend reset up my hitch (only changed the hitch angle) and decided to check the trailer tires. They were all 10 to 15 pounds low. Aired them up went for a ride down the highway with 15mph crosswinds and passed some semis and all was good. Not sure what your problem is just giving insight on what my fix was.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Find someone with a shortbed and tow your trailer(s). Might give you some ideas.

raven_DT

Reaction score
What WDH are you using? What speeds are you towing at? What is your tongue weight? What is the weight of the TT?

hotjava66

Reaction score
What WDH are you using? What speeds are you towing at? What is your tongue weight? What is the weight of the TT?
Trailer is a 21’x7’ v nose cargo weighs 2000 empty no more than 4000 loaded most times less. Have tried tongue weight from 400 to 700 ish doesn’t seem to matter much. My 14x7 does the same thing but is lighter. Pulled friends 27’ same issue. If I need a WDH for this light of a trailer the truck is a POS, my other trucks pull it fine without being pushed all over.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Trailer is a 21’x7’ v nose cargo weighs 2000 empty no more than 4000 loaded most times less. Have tried tongue weight from 400 to 700 ish doesn’t seem to matter much. My 14x7 does the same thing but is lighter. Pulled friends 27’ same issue. If I need a WDH for this light of a trailer the truck is a POS, my other trucks pull it fine without being pushed all over.
People are towing much heavier and longer trailers with no issues, stock (myself included). Check the the alignment on the truck. Adjust tire pressure to min of 40psi. Check tires on the trailer. You just have to go thru the process of elimination to find the root cause of the issue. These trucks are very good 1/2 ton towing platforms, not to say that there could be a combination of issues that causes your sway.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Raven. Like with anything else, it takes time to isolate the cause(s). Changing more than a single variable basically throws out the ability to determine what helped.
Always try the cheap fixes first, air pressure, tongue weight/pin weight, loading ft to back and side to side. Then the hitch/bars etc. None of that costs anything.

When guys start throwing in sway bars, airbags, stiffer coils, changing tires to LT's, changing hitches, anytime you do more than 1 thing, then who knows what fixed what.

It's frustrating yes but there's sooo many possible issues.

Now when an owner says "my other brand/year truck had no problem" then I'd ask how was that other truck equipped... start all over with curb weight, wheelbase, tire type and pressures, coil vs leaf springs, etc...

I can't figure why any one new truck really differs from another off the same line when it comes to towing. Options change things, mods change things, alignment yes but a stock QC or CC 1500 that's the same trim and drivetrain should be basically the same as the next one...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread