5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck rear end sway

Ram4141

Reaction score
My 16' CC with 6'4" bed had a 147" wb. My 19' CC 5'7" bed has 144" wb. I wouldn't think that would be the issue.

Ramster

Reaction score
No cookie for me. I just don't understand it. I just bought a trailer back in March and had to take it to the storage lot 10 miles down the highway. A 33 footer without any sway hitch and the only real problem I had was bounce when I hit those concrete joints in the highway. Have since bought a Anderson hitch and plan to haul it 50 miles for the first time this week. I expect it will be even better this go around. I am really interested in the outcome of this thread.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No cookie for me. I just don't understand it. I just bought a trailer back in March and had to take it to the storage lot 10 miles down the highway. A 33 footer without any sway hitch and the only real problem I had was bounce when I hit those concrete joints in the highway. Have since bought a Anderson hitch and plan to haul it 50 miles for the first time this week. I expect it will be even better this go around. I am really interested in the outcome of this thread.
Fifth wheel or tow behind

Ramster

Reaction score
Fifth wheel or tow behind
Hello, I'm sorry for the late reply. This was a tow behind. I did finally tow my trailer this weekend and my experience is in the "How big have you towed" thread. Sorry no link. Maybe I just don't have anything else to compare my experience to.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I recently took our bumper dragger camper with our "new" Ram Crew Cab 6'4" box on its maiden voyage last weekend and was not impressed with the way it towed vs my silverado i used to tow it with. The chevy was rock solid. the rams rear end definitely feels less secure. i have airlift 5k bags on the ram aswell. I might be looking into a sway bar upgrade soon.

NDanecker

Reaction score
My suggestion is to have a friend who has a similar truck tow with your truck. Wondering if the uneasiness is coming from your perception of how it should handle compared to your past experiences. I say this as this is the first 1500 truck I've towed with and I too thought this truck was awful pulling an empty 7 x 14 cargo trailer. However, I've own all 3500 DRW diesels in the past so compared to how they handle this 1500 truck sucks. Is it unsafe? Probably not. Just not as good as a larger & heavier truck which is what I'm used to and comparing it to.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thread is up to three pages and nobody has mentioned the one suspension part that controls side-to-side motion. You need to verify that your track bar bushings are good, bolt is correct size (yes, FCA has been known to use improper bolts on some track bars in the past), and that all hardware is torqued to spec. That's the place to start anytime there's side to side motion.

This is yet another reason leaf spring rear suspension is superior.

Rplante3108

Reaction score
Hey guys, I shared a post in the suspension page, but have been reading up on this and wanted to share what I have and impressions. I can't say its an 100% improvement, but I can definitely tell a BIG difference with handling, drive comfort and longevity of the drive. Lastly, my wife....of all people being the last person to say something to me actually mention it felt better driving and wasn't so "side to side and Jerky back and forth"( easily car sick) I'm not paid or sponsored by any company.

My suspension set up is:
- ICON stage 2 suspension(coilovers, shocks and springs) I do not have the front coilover set all the up yet.
- 2 inch wheel spacers all around
- 35x12.5/22 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2(Stock wheels)
- Core 4x4 upper and lower Contol arms
- Core 4x4 trackbar
- hellwig sway bar
- Core 4x4 sway bar link

I have read that your hitch plays a big role in the sway motion of the trailer and the truck. Im not an expert of this because I only dealt with what I have and what I read....so I am nooo expert.

I can say is, the ICON kit and the core 4x4 control arms help A LOT. The truck didn't struggle before when it was stock, but after installing what i have now. I was passing people with our 25 foot camper doing 80mph with ease. Yes, when big trucks come hauling *** by me, it would still suck me in and spit me back out and it felt like I was driving on ice haha. It didn't have the "pull - jerk fell to it and 90% of the bounce was gone. Ill be honest, there was still some sway, but it was manageable than before. All in all, I was more excited to haul the camper this past weekend than I was camping lol. I would highly recommend this kit or a kit similar of ICON and also suggest doing the core 4x4 control arms. I hope this helps in your search to improve towing. I can't say this is the answer, but it has improved my towing. Ask away if you like if I didn't answer a question in the post. Thanks!

hotjava66

Reaction score
Figured I would update since it has been a while. Here is where I’m at as of now, upgraded to Hellwig sway bar, upgraded to heavier sway bar links with poly bushings, upgraded to heavier track bar with poly bushings, upgraded tires to E range. There is still a bit of a rattle somewhere in the rear end if you hit a bigger bump that I just can’t locate.
Anyway, that’s as far as I’m taking it now. Pulls nice if there isn’t much wind but still a bit uncomfortable in a strong crosswind or around big trucks. Have had a chance now to tow a few more trailers, it’s fine with anything but an enclosed or camper that has a lot of side to catch the wind. Have pulled my enclosed with a couple other trucks, both with leaf springs, it will push both but the push is more linear and controlled. The Ram for whatever reason allows more wiggle and rebound and the trailer will wag its tail where with the other trucks it’s a straight lateral push no waggle. Towing aside, I like this truck so much better than the other brands current models that I will live with the towing thing for now. May try some more upgrades down the road but for now have thrown enough $ at it. It does drive a lot better with the upgrades so it was worth the effort.

I am curious also if these new lightweight aluminum cargo or camper trailers are just so light that they don’t have enough weight and accompanying friction on the road to fight the wind as much as an old “heavyweight“

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you are onto something there with the light weight trailers. Also, the RAM coil base rear end is just not as good as leaf springs for whatever reasons.

You’ve done most all any owner would do except spend $2.5K for a super premium hitch, and it doesn’t sound like you really need one.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I would update since it has been a while. Here is where I’m at as of now, upgraded to Hellwig sway bar, upgraded to heavier sway bar links with poly bushings, upgraded to heavier track bar with poly bushings, upgraded tires to E range. There is still a bit of a rattle somewhere in the rear end if you hit a bigger bump that I just can’t locate.
Anyway, that’s as far as I’m taking it now. Pulls nice if there isn’t much wind but still a bit uncomfortable in a strong crosswind or around big trucks. Have had a chance now to tow a few more trailers, it’s fine with anything but an enclosed or camper that has a lot of side to catch the wind. Have pulled my enclosed with a couple other trucks, both with leaf springs, it will push both but the push is more linear and controlled. The Ram for whatever reason allows more wiggle and rebound and the trailer will wag its tail where with the other trucks it’s a straight lateral push no waggle. Towing aside, I like this truck so much better than the other brands current models that I will live with the towing thing for now. May try some more upgrades down the road but for now have thrown enough $ at it. It does drive a lot better with the upgrades so it was worth the effort.

I am curious also if these new lightweight aluminum cargo or camper trailers are just so light that they don’t have enough weight and accompanying friction on the road to fight the wind as much as an old “heavyweight“
Thanks for the detailed feedback!

knightwolf007

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 21 rebel 5'7 box truck. first thing i noticed was how the back end tended to sway or "lag" compared to my 2010 raptor. This is my first Ram truck and my first crew cab (Raptor was a supercrew). so this truck is definitely longer. I am not sure if a little back end lag or sway when turning the wheel is normal for these trucks. I know my raptor was wider and shorter, but this truck just felt a bit less stable in the back end. I am almost afraid to hook up my camper to it to see how it is. I just blew 60k on a truck, and didnt go with a raptor again because i do plan on upgrading to a heavier trailer.

redneck

Reaction score
i have the factory air ride & my 16 ft enclosed trailer is all over the road at 70-80 mph 2600lb. i added the hellwig sway bar & no different im going to mess around with tire pressure later

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i have the factory air ride & my 16 ft enclosed trailer is all over the road at 70-80 mph 2600lb. i added the hellwig sway bar & no different im going to mess around with tire pressure later
What’s the weight on the hitch?

redneck

Reaction score
empty 275 other wise it depends how i load the job materials in the trailer

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone having tow issues with the factory air ride/limited ?
A few have posted that they have trouble with the air ride while towing. If you have a bumper pull TT then it is hard to get the perfect setup with the soft suspension. I tow a fifth wheel, and installed a Hellwig and went to a stiffer sidewall tire and it helped firm it up, but the same thing with a good load equalizer/anti sway hitch is highly recommended.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try slowing down and see if it helps. Also, try a little more weight on the tongue.

Users who are viewing this thread