5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck rear end sway

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have bags sitting in the garage that I intend to install when it gets cooler. I will take any minor improvement in stability I can get... I would love to hear back if yours improve stability or just provide lift.
Bags may git rid of sag, but they are not intended for, nor will they git rid of sway. Totally different dynamics, one being vertical, the other side to side.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I tow around 5000# with about 600# tongue weight. The truck does better without the WDH. I have the hellwig, 10 ply e rated tires, and Timber Grove bags [these technically make the front of the truck lighter].

NukeLife205

Reaction score
Well damn. I just became a member of this forum to start researching the fifth gen ram as a potential replacement for my Expedition. But if there are towing issues, that could be a show-stopper.

That’s disappointing to hear. I really like the new Ram and love the way they ride.
But my Expedition w/ heavy duty tow package is an amazing tow machine. I just spent three weeks out west pulling a 7000lb tt all over and through the Rockies. No strain. Sway control is rock solid. Ecoboost at altitude is sublime.

If only the problem with the cam phasers and turbo wastegates didn’t exist. That’s why I’m looking to dump it.
But I need a solid tow vehicle.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Well damn. I just became a member of this forum to start researching the fifth gen ram as a potential replacement for my Expedition. But if there are towing issues, that could be a show-stopper.

That’s disappointing to hear. I really like the new Ram and love the way they ride.
But my Expedition w/ heavy duty tow package is an amazing tow machine. I just spent three weeks out west pulling a 7000lb tt all over and through the Rockies. No strain. Sway control is rock solid. Ecoboost at altitude is sublime.

If only the problem with the cam phasers and turbo wastegates didn’t exist. That’s why I’m looking to dump it.
I tow a 6500 lb Grand Design Imagine 2250RK and it tows super stable. I use a Husky Centerline hitch and it is the most stable set up I have ever towed. If you take the time to properly set up your hitch and verify everything at the scales I can't see you having any issues.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Which weight distribution hitch?
One that isn't proper for the weight. It's a 1000# tongue and 10000# weight hitch with chains from harbor freight. No sway control on it.

Being that the TT is "light", I'm perfectly happy with the current setup that I have. Timber Groves or Sumo springs or Timbrens and absolutely the Hellwig are all things to consider.

Curlymurt

Reaction score

It is a bit of a difficult explanation to the wife why you dropped $40+ on a new truck and the backend sags with a little mulch and that you have to spend $600+ on a good WDH to tow only one item well.

I did the upgrades (again, around $600) so I can have as much flexibility to use it as a truck as I want, rather than being able to tow 1 trailer with the WDH. I've been able to load and tow different items as a normal truck would, without reliance on a single setup.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did put in an email request to energy suspension to put together a kit for the ram, but haven't heard back in a week+. Probably have to call. Anyone ever try heim joints on custom bars?

Users who are viewing this thread