5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer for family of 4

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is the high water mark of RV camping right now.... Now is the time to trade in if you were thinking about it.

Campgrounds are being booked solid (especially the real resorty ones)

I really think this year will be busy and next we will see a big move away from it if Covid retreats and people get more comfortable with flying/cruising.
Oh for sure. We have already booked 3-4 weekend trips for this summer. I thought my wife was nuts for making me do it this early. For a couple of them, there were already almost fully booked. I don't plan on trading for quite some time. If I did, it would probably be a toy hauler, and then I'd probably be looking at new trucks too :LOL:

NRitland2

Reaction score
Oh for sure. We have already booked 3-4 weekend trips for this summer. I thought my wife was nuts for making me do it this early. For a couple of them, there were already almost fully booked. I don't plan on trading for quite some time. If I did, it would probably be a toy hauler, and then I'd probably be looking at new trucks too :LOL:
Its crazy. A resort here in Massachusetts has every weekend booked solid May-Oct. We are booking everything now through mid February. Have to… 🤪

Gary1243

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 CC 4x4 with a 1475 payload capacity, 3.92, V8 etorque, Trailer Tow Package. I ended up going with a Sundance ID221RB trailer (25 ft) as its tongue weight and overall weight really fit my tow vehicle nicely. But more designed for a family where the 2 kids don't mind sleeping in sleeping bags on the dinette table together!. It is a very nice trailer. My tongue weight loaded is about 750 lbs, trailer at 5500lbs with half full water, full propane tanks and dual 6V AGM batteries. Both axles weigh out at about 3400 each with cargo and passengers with an Equalizer 4 WDH (on a CAT scale). Still leaves me a couple hundred lbs under pretty much all the important numbers. Pulls nice. A bit of bounce which I attribute to the SUV type tires. I think I might get some LT tires in the near future to see how that goes and/or try an airlift system.

Good Luck, Gary

NRitland2

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 1500 CC 4x4 with a 1475 payload capacity, 3.92, V8 etorque, Trailer Tow Package. I ended up going with a Sundance ID221RB trailer (25 ft) as its tongue weight and overall weight really fit my tow vehicle nicely. But more designed for a family where the 2 kids don't mind sleeping in sleeping bags on the dinette table together!. It is a very nice trailer. My tongue weight loaded is about 750 lbs, trailer at 5500lbs with half full water, full propane tanks and dual 6V AGM batteries. Both axles weigh out at about 3400 each with cargo and passengers with an Equalizer 4 WDH (on a CAT scale). Still leaves me a couple hundred lbs under pretty much all the important numbers. Pulls nice. A bit of bounce which I attribute to the SUV type tires. I think I might get some LT tires in the near future to see how that goes and/or try an airlift system.

Good Luck, Gary
Nice set up and research on your setup! How fast are you traveling? Reducing that speed a bit can help

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Nice. We are taking our Forest River Vibe 24DB out this weekend. This is the first trip with it since installing the lift and new tires. I am curious to see what difference I can feel with the LT tires over stock. I expect it to feel more grounded. I also just installed the Airlift 1000HD air bags last weekend, so this should be an interesting maiden voyage for a number of new parts.

Last edited:

Gary1243

Reaction score
Nice set up and research on your setup! How fast are you traveling? Reducing that speed a bit can help
I'm a speed limit type of guy. Usually around 65mph on freeways/interstates and 60 on two laners.

Gary1243

Reaction score
Nice. We are taking our Forest River Vibe 24DB out this weekend. This is the first trip with it since installing the lift and new tires. I am curious to see what difference I can feel with the LT tires over stock. I expect it to feel more grounded. I also just installed the Airlift 1000HD air bags last weekend, so this should be an interesting maiden voyage for a number of new parts.
I hope you report back on how those tires and Airlift work. That's right up my alley! Have fun.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Will do. We have very similar rigs, though I have about 70lbs more payload. I will let you know how it goes.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Will do. We have very similar rigs, though I have about 70lbs more payload. I will let you know how it goes.
Yes, please share your trip details. We have a bullet 250bhs (similar specs) that we are itching to take out.. we still have two months.. (Massachusetts)

liq001

Reaction score
Update, just got my truck. It’s rated 1316 lbs payload. Not too bad for a limited truck with 33 gal tank. Any suggestions for a family of 4 trailer? We have two kids 6 and 3 years old.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update, just got my truck. It’s rated 1316 lbs payload. Not too bad for a limited truck with 33 gal tank. Any suggestions for a family of 4 trailer? We have two kids 6 and 3 years old.
If I needed bunks, I'd go with something from Grand Design. We did a lot of research when we upgraded to the new rig, and Grand Design was always among the top few. Their quality is probably about the same as most manufacturers (aside from premium stuff like Airstream, inTech, etc), but they're an outstanding company that takes good care of their customers. Lots of our friends and people we've met are very happy with theirs and they've always come highly recommended.

With your payload, I'd probably go with something from their Imagine XLS line. Properly set up, this one should be an easy tow and leave you a good amount of room for the family, a WDH, and cargo before hitting your payload:

The capacities of those holding tanks will also make your life easier, particularly if you do any dry camping (state/national parks, BLM, Harvest Hosts, etc).

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
As promised, here is my report from our trip this weekend.

Let me start by saying that I would make all of the same changes/additions if I had to do it over. The RAM pulled with NO issues. I continually monitored all the temps, especially the transmission. Nothing got hot al all. I never saw the tranny go over 200 and usually stayed @ about 192 (the same as driving with no load). It stayed in 6th gear most of the time and even went into 7th a couple times.

As for ride comfort, I have no complaints, Of course it is not as good as stock, but considering the larger LT tires and the Airlift 1000HD, it was still quite comfortable. I ended up inflating the bags to 30psi and that seemed to work well. The ride was not too firm and the truck felt quite stable and grounded.

Unfortunately, the fishing was not as good. The water was so cold, that the Bass just weren't biting. Hopefully we will have better luck on out next trip. 20220227_121856.jpg

Gary1243

Reaction score

Let me start by saying that I would make all of the same changes/additions if I had to do it over. The RAM pulled with NO issues. I continually monitored all the temps, especially the transmission. Nothing got hot al all. I never saw the tranny go over 200 and usually stayed @ about 192 (the same as driving with no load). It stayed in 6th gear most of the time and even went into 7th a couple times.

As for ride comfort, I have no complaints, Of course it is not as good as stock, but considering the larger LT tires and the Airlift 1000HD, it was still quite comfortable. I ended up inflating the bags to 30psi and that seemed to work well. The ride was not too firm and the truck felt quite stable and grounded.

Unfortunately, the fishing was not as good. The water was so cold, that the Bass just weren't biting. Hopefully we will have better luck on out next trip. View attachment 121909

Gary1243

Reaction score
Thanks for your report. I was looking forward to it. Bummer about the bass, but here in Oregon waters don’t warm up until late April if we are lucky! I think I will just run my combo as is for a while and see what happens. Enjoyed pic. Here’s mine.

Attachments

• 66EAC33F-0965-4129-BCDF-4AB496A790D4.jpeg
    66EAC33F-0965-4129-BCDF-4AB496A790D4.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 33

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your report. I was looking forward to it. Bummer about the bass, but here in Oregon waters don’t warm up until late April if we are lucky! I think I will just run my combo as is for a while and see what happens. Enjoyed pic. Here’s mine.
What model Sundance is that? Looks nice!

Gary1243

Reaction score
What model Sundance is that? Looks nice!
Thanks. It is a ID221RB. ID meaning it was made in Idaho. I spent months looking for a trailer that would match my truck specs. Narrowed it down to an Imagine 22mle or something Like that or an Outdoors (but they were too heavy) . Found this 2019 like new Sundance Which I had never heard of. It was just too nice to pass up and only 21k. I gave the woman a little extra cash because I felt a little guilty. I told her she could get more but she just wanted 21k for it. Put another grand into it for new mattress and 6volt batteries, etc. End of story.

liq001

Reaction score
Thanks. It is a ID221RB. ID meaning it was made in Idaho. I spent months looking for a trailer that would match my truck specs. Narrowed it down to an Imagine 22mle or something Like that or an Outdoors (but they were too heavy) . Found this 2019 like new Sundance Which I had never heard of. It was just too nice to pass up and only 21k. I gave the woman a little extra cash because I felt a little guilty. I told her she could get more but she just wanted 21k for it. Put another grand into it for new mattress and 6volt batteries, etc. End of story.
What’s your truck specs and is nice trailer too?

NRitland2

Reaction score

Unfortunately, the fishing was not as good. The water was so cold, that the Bass just weren't biting. Hopefully we will have better luck on out next trip. View attachment 121909
Thanks for the report! Great news that it went well

NRitland2

Reaction score
Great set up. Just a WD hitch/sway?

Users who are viewing this thread