5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer for family of 4

edmrc

Reaction score
No problem towing my Jayco Jay feather 7. About 4500 lbs.

Attachments

• 1FEE0A47-00C0-4E47-A8BC-7F6CD5675B6A.jpeg
    1FEE0A47-00C0-4E47-A8BC-7F6CD5675B6A.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just becasue I am not going to tow a lot every year, limited will give me the best daily ride experiece. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll start to looking for loaded TT under #7000
Yeah and that was all just estimates. If you get your truck and it has 1300+ pounds of payload that gives you some more room for a bigger trailer or putting luggage in the truck. Remember, every item you put in your truck that wasn't there when you got it is weight reduced from your payload. You'll have guys tell you "Oh yeah, you can pull a 30 foot trailer with a Limited no problem these trucks can handle it." aren't the ones driving YOUR truck.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I just built mt truck last month. With the limited trim (5.7 hemi with etorque) I would expect the payload rating would be around #1300. I have 3.92 rear end. The combined weight of my family around #400. I have zero towing experience. That's why I am here for learning myself. I am looking for a TT around 25' to 27, is that too big for my truck?

What are the rest of the options in your Limited build?

25’ to 27’ is not too big, <30’ long will tow very nicely with good WDH setup

NRitland2

Reaction score
Thanks. That's exactly we are looking for. We need the bunks for sure. How is the quailty of your 2021 keystone? Do you use any WDH and sway bar for towing? I had the air suspension, but I believe the WDH is still an essential. Not sure about the sway bar, since the truck come with sway control right?
I believe in WDHs- enough I had one for out little 20 foot rPod being towed by a Tacoma. Probably overkill but it gave us peace of mind and worked for our set up. We utilized a Fastway e2- that is a WD and sway... Easy set up.

Regarding the 2021 Keystone Bullet - all TT have their positives and negatives regarding quality and longevity- just like our Rams. We have only towed it without a WDH and it handled fine with the Ram abet a short distance (25 miles). We have not set it up at a campground yet. We winterized, cleaned, and cooked in it from home. It seems to not be a Friday afternoon special, the slide out/awning are great and the "vaulted" ceilings a prefect for me as is the shower enclosure (6'3). Prior owner had it set up with a solar panel and acts as a trickle/full charger for our battery. The bunks are extremely spacious and the dinette converts to a queen with the padding. I'm going in it today and will take a few photos.

Again, as has been said- you want to buy for your needs, setup, and payload.

liq001

Reaction score
What are the rest of the options in your Limited build?

25’ to 27’ is not too big, <30’ long will tow very nicely with good WDH setup
I also have towing group and pano sunroof. 5.7 bed, level 1 group, night edition group, anti spin axle. That’s all I have. Thanks and good to know that <30 would be good. Any suggestions for the WDH?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. That's exactly we are looking for. We need the bunks for sure. How is the quailty of your 2021 keystone? Do you use any WDH and sway bar for towing? I had the air suspension, but I believe the WDH is still an essential. Not sure about the sway bar, since the truck come with sway control right?
You have to use the WDH anytime your tongue weight is over the truck hitch rating. Most hard side TTs will be above that threshhold. Almost all hitch makers have sway controls available as well. It is a physical addition to the hitch setup. It's job is to reduce sway from the hitch to a comfortable level during "regular" driving. The trucks electronic sway control is an "emergency" control, similar to stability control. Do you rely on stability control in regular driving? Wait, don't answer that! ;)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have towing group and pano sunroof. 5.7 bed, level 1 group, night edition group, anti spin axle. That’s all I have. Thanks and good to know that <30 would be good. Any suggestions for the WDH?
I recommend the Equalizer 4-point sway

You have many options, here are a few

Freedom Express 257BHS

3FF21CE1-C3B9-4384-A789-4EF930DDD46E.jpeg
Outback 244UBH
CAC13574-13E6-4C77-8337-391E51D975A1.png

Apex Nano 208BHS

3EF55361-635F-4880-8D74-AC3D8863B79F.jpeg

Imagine 2400BH
F0D2DAC8-4508-439A-8B58-A58D428AAF73.png

liq001

Reaction score
You have to use the WDH anytime your tongue weight is over the truck hitch rating. Most hard side TTs will be above that threshhold. Almost all hitch makers have sway controls available as well. It is a physical addition to the hitch setup. It's job is to reduce sway from the hitch to a comfortable level during "regular" driving. The trucks electronic sway control is an "emergency" control, similar to stability control. Do you rely on stability control in regular driving? Wait, don't answer that! ;)

liq001

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. That’s so helpful. Where to know the truck hitch rating? I assume all 1500 series has the same rating regardless the truck brand? What is the rating with or w/o the WHD? Are they the same?

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what we have. Kz Escape 231bh. Bunks for the kids, 23' long, right at 4k pounds dry. Pulls great. The perfect size in my opinion. Sure I could probably go bigger, but I like to maintain some buffer room.
2021_Kz_ESCAPE_E231BH_hqhm76.jpg

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your picks. Those are cool TTs. I do like the Imagine, is this too heavy for my truck?

Grand Design is nice, no the 2400BH is not too heavy. Their 2910BH was our runner-up choice, we decided on a Keystone Outback 291UBH instead.

10FE9C68-C40D-4C90-B677-FF508523EC7C.jpeg
605CF9D1-ADCD-4649-85A2-C3057397E61D.png

liq001

Reaction score
This is what we have. Kz Escape 231bh. Bunks for the kids, 23' long, right at 4k pounds dry. Pulls great. The perfect size in my opinion. Sure I could probably go bigger, but I like to maintain some buffer room.
View attachment 116548
Beautiful TT. 23’ long is for the living space? The totals include A frame could be 25~26?

liq001

Reaction score
Grand Design is nice, no the 2400BH is not too heavy. Their 2910BH was our runner-up choice, we decided on a Keystone Outback 291UBH instead.

View attachment 116549
View attachment 116550
Your setup looks awesome. So nice. Looks like you have the limited too? What is your payload? Are you exceed the limitation with your Outback? Any reason you chose keystone Outback over grand design? Sorry I got too many questions, just because of I have zero experience

NRitland2

Reaction score
Beautiful TT. 23’ long is for the living space? The totals include A frame could be 25~26?
I would suggest attending local RV conventions (normally a good amount occur in the winter months (Jan-Mar) and local RV dealer lots.... Its very important to get inside them, walk around, get in shower stalls, and imagine yourself/your family in it.

There will be a RV for you and your current set up. It will ultimately be up to you & your family to find a type and floorplan. Once you do this you can hone in on a safe set up that will meet the Limited specs you are driving.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your setup looks awesome. So nice. Looks like you have the limited too? What is your payload? Are you exceed the limitation with your Outback? Any reason you chose keystone Outback over grand design? Sorry I got too many questions, just because of I have zero experience

My payload is 1380 lbs, I’m on GVWR, but well under GAWR and GCWR.

07EB9E2D-2B8C-4F11-92DC-14CB05B3D9C8.png

Choose the Outback for a few reasons, mostly because we preferred the layout

Bigger bedroom windows, huge pantry storage, bigger shower, no entrance door to master bedroom, bigger axles/brakes, Coleman Mach A/C instead of GD’s Furrion.

I am jealous of Grand Design’s grey tank capacity and outside storage.

Users who are viewing this thread