5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer for family of 4

liq001

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am new to travel trailer and looking for the best one for a family of 4 (two adults and 2 kids) and also half ton towable (I have 2022 ram 1500 limited with night package). Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Best
Lee

shak3r

Reaction score
I’d look into the Jayco Jayfeather models, 24’ floor plans.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
We recently got a Forest River vibe 24' model and have really enjoyed it. My 2021 Laramie pulls it well.

franc944

Reaction score
We like the fresh air openness of a hybrid trailer with pop out ends jayfeather 17 or 19 should be all you need

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Having had both hybrid and non-hybrid...i'd offer the following, which I found to be fairly major Pros and Cons at the time.
PRO for Hybrid - TONS of space in a relatively small trailer. Mine was 23ft and with the tent ends open it was over 30feet long measured on the inside. GREAT for small families.
PRO - You get a lot of trailer in a small package, which you'll need because you're gonna have fairly little payload capacity.
CON for Hybrid - similar to a tent or popup camper, there is very little barrier to noise and weather.

Its been too many years since I owned campers, and I've not kept up with the newer ones so I can't really offer current advice on which trailer. I can only say that 10 years ago I was pretty impressed with the Rockwood Roo line...great floorplans.

I would suggest trying to find a suitable used one for your first trailer...make sure you and the family really like camping, and the camper, before committing any big money. Like buying your first house, you will soon find out what you want in your next one. I realize its a tough market for used ones but worthwhile IMHO.

NEVER, EVER take an RV salesperson's word for what your truck can tow...EVER. They will always say something like "look your truck is rated to tow 11K pounds, so this 7,000pounder will be easy!" UNTRUE. You have to understand payload and axle weight ratings of your truck to keep your family, and others, safe.

Lastly, there is a TON of great information and very helpful people on this and other forums...it is critical that you educate yourself, especially on the aforementioned weight ratings, so don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck with your search and enjoy the time with the family!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am new to travel trailer and looking for the best one for a family of 4 (two adults and 2 kids) and also half ton towable (I have 2022 ram 1500 limited with night package). Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Best
Lee

Need more information.

What does your payload sticker show?

What is the combined weight of your family of four?

Do you have any towing experience?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We went to area RV shows for several years before we ever chose one. It was nice because there weren't any high pressure sales tactics. Most all of the sales people left you alone to walk around and look inside. You had to seek them out if you had a question.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I would also evaluate what kind of camping you want to do. We only do state camp grounds without hookups. KZ spree bunkhouse was perfect for us cause it is very light and cheap (at the time). Around 22', easy to back in. But cheap also meant cheap on the finishes but that didn't matter to us. Depends on your priorities.

NRitland2

Reaction score
We had a 20’ rPod which we grew out of and upgraded this fall.

You said you have two kids… look for a TT with bunks. We got a great deal on a “COVID turn-in” and pulled the trigger. It’s a 2021 Keystone Bullet 250bhs. We love it!!

nitmik

Reaction score
I have a Outback 210URS and it's great. King size bed extends out of the rear and has bunks in the front for two. I would buy another one if something happened to mine. My 1500 pulls it with no problem.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hybrid suggested above. I have had a full hard side and a hybrid now. I would stay with the hard side if at all possible. The nightly condensation is really annoying. Look for a small bunkhouse type model. I am also a sumospring user.

liq001

Reaction score
Need more information.

What does your payload sticker show?

What is the combined weight of your family of four?

Do you have any towing experience?
Thanks. I just built mt truck last month. With the limited trim (5.7 hemi with etorque) I would expect the payload rating would be around #1300. I have 3.92 rear end. The combined weight of my family around #400. I have zero towing experience. That's why I am here for learning myself. I am looking for a TT around 25' to 27, is that too big for my truck?

liq001

Reaction score
Having had both hybrid and non-hybrid...i'd offer the following, which I found to be fairly major Pros and Cons at the time.
PRO for Hybrid - TONS of space in a relatively small trailer. Mine was 23ft and with the tent ends open it was over 30feet long measured on the inside. GREAT for small families.
PRO - You get a lot of trailer in a small package, which you'll need because you're gonna have fairly little payload capacity.
CON for Hybrid - similar to a tent or popup camper, there is very little barrier to noise and weather.

Its been too many years since I owned campers, and I've not kept up with the newer ones so I can't really offer current advice on which trailer. I can only say that 10 years ago I was pretty impressed with the Rockwood Roo line...great floorplans.

I would suggest trying to find a suitable used one for your first trailer...make sure you and the family really like camping, and the camper, before committing any big money. Like buying your first house, you will soon find out what you want in your next one. I realize its a tough market for used ones but worthwhile IMHO.

NEVER, EVER take an RV salesperson's word for what your truck can tow...EVER. They will always say something like "look your truck is rated to tow 11K pounds, so this 7,000pounder will be easy!" UNTRUE. You have to understand payload and axle weight ratings of your truck to keep your family, and others, safe.

Lastly, there is a TON of great information and very helpful people on this and other forums...it is critical that you educate yourself, especially on the aforementioned weight ratings, so don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck with your search and enjoy the time with the family!
Thanks for your most valuable experience. I am here to learn.

liq001

Reaction score
I suggest a floor plan that you can live with when it is raining outside and all four of you are stuck inside. This is from my "lessons learned" book.
That's ture and real life experience. I am new to TT, rent one for educating myself would be a good idea I guess.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I just built mt truck last month. With the limited trim (5.7 hemi with etorque) I would expect the payload rating would be around #1300. I have 3.92 rear end. The combined weight of my family around #400. I have zero towing experience. That's why I am here for learning myself. I am looking for a TT around 25' to 27, is that too big for my truck?
Let's just estimate it around 1200, so family of 4 with nothing else in the truck you're already at 800 pounds payload. IF you want to stay under payload and IF you want to travel safely and legally you need to be under 700 with an estimated 100 pounds for the weight distribution hitch. I think the estimate is 10-13% of the TT weight is on the tongue for an average so you can look in the 5500-7000 LOADED trailer weight.

Unfortunately the Limited is not the best choice when looking for a tow vehicle. Until you know the true numbers for all your items (payload, WDH weight, truck weight loaded for a trip) you won't know what you can tow and stay under payload.

liq001

Reaction score
We had a 20’ rPod which we grew out of and upgraded this fall.

You said you have two kids… look for a TT with bunks. We got a great deal on a “COVID turn-in” and pulled the trigger. It’s a 2021 Keystone Bullet 250bhs. We love it!!

Thanks. That's exactly we are looking for. We need the bunks for sure. How is the quailty of your 2021 keystone? Do you use any WDH and sway bar for towing? I had the air suspension, but I believe the WDH is still an essential. Not sure about the sway bar, since the truck come with sway control right?

liq001

Reaction score
Let's just estimate it around 1200, so family of 4 with nothing else in the truck you're already at 800 pounds payload. IF you want to stay under payload and IF you want to travel safely and legally you need to be under 700 with an estimated 100 pounds for the weight distribution hitch. I think the estimate is 10-13% of the TT weight is on the tongue for an average so you can look in the 5500-7000 LOADED trailer weight.

Unfortunately the Limited is not the best choice when looking for a tow vehicle. Until you know the true numbers for all your items (payload, WDH weight, truck weight loaded for a trip) you won't know what you can tow and stay under payload.
Just becasue I am not going to tow a lot every year, limited will give me the best daily ride experiece. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll start to looking for loaded TT under #7000

Users who are viewing this thread