5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel trailer for family of 4

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. That’s so helpful. Where to know the truck hitch rating? I assume all 1500 series has the same rating regardless the truck brand? What is the rating with or w/o the WHD? Are they the same?
Take a few minutes to walk around the dealer lot looking at the hitch itself on all the 1500s on the lot. There will be a sticker on the hitch or bumper that tells the tongue weight with and without weight distribution. Someone will be able to chime in with a number, I’m not near mine at the moment. Probably the same for all 1500 hitches, any trim, lower than payload, which is assumed (reasonablely well) distributed around the truck - cab, box, etc. Most TTs will be above the “ball only” limit. After you choose the trailer, and know the wet, loaded tongue weight, get the spring bars that cover that weight. Things like battery, propane, and if fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer should factor into the bar choice. Someone helping you at the trailer store will be able to steer you to the correct bars. Fancy hitches may have more spring and sway adjustments, but basic hitches work just as well once setup properly. Try to get an experienced towing friend to help setup and test drive, most Rams need far more weight distribution than the other 3 brands, unless the trailer store will help/do it. It’ll be fine after you learn how to do it.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
My wife and I have been eyeballing the Freedom Express 257BHS. I have been looking at a ton over the past year or so. Was looking at the Viking 17BHS and the Rockwood 2509S as well but I feel the 257BHS is better (even though they're all the same company).

NRitland2

Reaction score
My wife and I have been eyeballing the Freedom Express 257BHS. I have been looking at a ton over the past year or so. Was looking at the Viking 17BHS and the Rockwood 2509S as well but I feel the 257BHS is better (even though they're all the same company).

Love the big front window and interior colors… we have seen a few at campgrounds this past year big fan of coachman brand. We ended up with a ‘21 keystone bullet

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I suggest a floor plan that you can live with when it is raining outside and all four of you are stuck inside. This is from my "lessons learned" book.
This is why I plan to rent a few different travel trailers before buying one!!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't gonna do that at first but after shopping around for the better part of 6 months, I think I have to. Selection is overwhelming, chances of buyer's remorse are high lol

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. That's exactly we are looking for. We need the bunks for sure. How is the quailty of your 2021 keystone? Do you use any WDH and sway bar for towing? I had the air suspension, but I believe the WDH is still an essential. Not sure about the sway bar, since the truck come with sway control right?
For a TT I recommend always using a WDH and sway bar. Weight or not that's a big sail going down the road for cross-wind/passing semi trucks so you will want all tires properly planted and something to keep the tail from wagging before your truck's software takes over.

Just my .02

Thanks for your input. That’s so helpful. Where to know the truck hitch rating? I assume all 1500 series has the same rating regardless the truck brand? What is the rating with or w/o the WHD? Are they the same?
Most TTs will be above the “ball only” limit.
5000 lbs trailer (500 lbs tongue) is usually the breakover point between drop it on the ball (+ chains + connect the plug) and go, and having a good setup.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Love the big front window and interior colors… we have seen a few at campgrounds this past year big fan of coachman brand. We ended up with a ‘21 keystone bullet
Those look pretty nice too! Every time I think I've finally settled I accidentally find another trailer to look at haha.

liq001

Reaction score
Those look

What about the 238BHS?

liq001

Reaction score
Those look

What about the 237BHS?

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
We recommend visiting the big RV shows close to you. Tampa has one coming up next week. Tons of RVs to walk through, it gives you a really good idea what you like and don’t like. We purchased ours in 2021 at the Tampa show and have no regrets! It’s the biggest trailer I would tow with my truck, but it’s dialed in just right!

2021 Forest River Salem 26DBUD, for reference:
6800# dry
895# hitch weight
33’ and change front to back

**Edited bc I’m sure it’ll be asked: 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 CC 3.92, 1780 ish payload

Last edited:

NRitland2

Reaction score
We recommend visiting the big RV shows close to you. Tampa has one coming up next week. Tons of RVs to walk through, it gives you a really good idea what you like and don’t like. We purchased ours in 2020 at the Tampa show and have no regrets! It’s the biggest trailer I would tow with my truck, but it’s dialed in just right!

2021 Forest River Salem 26DBUD, for reference:
6800# dry
895# hitch weight
33’ and change front to back

**Edited bc I’m sure it’ll be asked: 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 CC 3.92, 1780 ish payload
Nice rig! The Aluminum sided ones can really pack in the options with the amount of weight saving siding.
How does 33 footer tow?

RedSox10NG

Reaction score
Nice rig! The Aluminum sided ones can really pack in the options with the amount of weight saving siding.
How does 33 footer tow?
Pretty well, in my opinion. As I mentioned, I personally would not tow anything heavier or longer. I have a Curt WDH and I change the bump stops at the rear anytime I tow, which has helped with any "porpoising." I have not yet scaled it, but I am confident I'm in the vicinity of proper weight distribution.

We live in Central Florida, so the environment is pretty flat and wind is not a major factor. Most trips are <200 miles and <3 hours total tow time, for perspective. We keep the tow speed at about 55-60, depending on factors, but that's the most comfortable for me. That is as much for the tow comfortability, as well as we fear blowing a trailer tire going any faster. We experience the "truck suck" from passing semi's, but that is to be expected, and I have heard conflicting reports whether a 2500 would solve that issue anyway.

Of note, when I picked it up from the dealer, they setup the WDH, and it was not right. Needed to redo it at another dealer, and actually had to talk them through what I wanted. I found that odd, but unsurprising. Just a tidbit for anybody looking to buy and pickup from a dealer.

Also of importance, if going to an environment such as a show, remember your PAYLOAD capacity. As so many have mentioned, that really is the limiting factor of these 1500's. The salesmen I dealt with were not "pushy," but they would tote TOTAL TOW RATING as the selling factor. Without the advice of @devildodge and @IvoryHemi, as well as many others, I would not have known to value PAYLOAD as so important. To me, that is the SAFETY LIMITING FACTOR. But that's my opinion.

I am a "new" driver as far as towing trailers, so keep that in mind when reading through my perspective. With that being said, I don't mind sharing my experiences for any other potential "newbies." Purchasing this TT has been one of the best things I've done for my family. I have 2 girls, both under 3 years old, and this specific trailer will function for years to come. Yes, we probably could have gone smaller, but there would have been a near guaranteed upgrade at some point!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't gonna do that at first but after shopping around for the better part of 6 months, I think I have to. Selection is overwhelming, chances of buyer's remorse are high lol

If you bought 6 months ago and had buyers remorse you could’ve made a profit, Lol.

Price increases on travel trailers have been insane. MSRP on the new TT we just purchased in July is up $9,500 (!)

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you bought 6 months ago and had buyers remorse you could’ve made a profit, Lol.

Price increases on travel trailers have been insane. MSRP on the new TT we just purchased in July is up $9,500 (!)
All the more reason for me to keep shopping for a while 😅

NRitland2

Reaction score

Up $9,500?? What did you buy??

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Up $9,500?? What did you buy??

Bought a Keystone Outback 291UBH

MSRP in July ‘21 was $40,156
MSRP now is $49,635 = up $9,479

The Grand Design 2910BH we almost purchased is even worse...

MSRP in July ‘21 was $45,540
MSRP now is $57,022 = up $11,482

NRitland2

Reaction score

Holy crap!

It made me check ours Keystone Bullet 250bhs and its up to $42,247 😳

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just checked mine as well. Went up, but not as much (5-6K). Still pretty crazy. Makes me feel a little better about buying last year with prices that I thought were already bad.

NRitland2

Reaction score
I just checked mine as well. Went up, but not as much (5-6K). Still pretty crazy. Makes me feel a little better about buying last year with prices that I thought were already bad.
It is the high water mark of RV camping right now.... Now is the time to trade in if you were thinking about it.

Campgrounds are being booked solid (especially the real resorty ones)

I really think this year will be busy and next we will see a big move away from it if Covid retreats and people get more comfortable with flying/cruising.

Users who are viewing this thread