5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Just got a response from my dealership they will be replacing the trans valve body they said it will come next week.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
So, the throttle body was malfunctioning, which caused the rpms to dip during downshift. The dealer ran the test and showed me what was happening. Hopefully, that will work. Still haven't received any calls from Mike McDonald. Will know more on Monday, when I pick up the truck. Fingers crossed.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the dealer so that we could drive the truck with the service manager and chief mechanic in order to recreate the issue. What do you know? I had barely driven 100 yards and, wham, the transmission slipped into neutral on the downshift. Couldn't believe it. They were shocked, but to their credit they acknowledged how dangerous this is and guaranteed they would correct the problem. I told them I had already contacted Mike McDonald Executive Support and they assured me they would be contacting RAM directly about the issue. They had never seen this, according to them. So... I wait.
That seems really gratifying that you were able to show both the manager and mechanic the problem! Let us know what they find.

Edit: ahh the throttle body, thanks! I would also keep an eye on the throttle position sensor.

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Valve body/TCM was replaced for me with no improvement. Throttle body clean had the best result for me, but the issue did occur since then

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Should get the truck back tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Will update you at that time. The service manager had a call with RAM engineers apparently and they believe this will rectify the problem. Who knows? I'll wait and see and let you all know.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Should get the truck back tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Will update you at that time. The service manager had a call with RAM engineers apparently and they believe this will rectify the problem. Who knows? I'll wait and see and let you all know.
Hopefully this works for you! How many miles do you have?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Watching this thread and praying it doesn’t happen to me. Hopefully a TSB will be released

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Hopefully this works for you! How many miles do you have?
33,650 miles.

Just got a call from the dealership. They replaced the throttle body and, WHAM, the issue persisted. So they have opened a STAR case and are giving me a rental. At least they are keeping the truck to determine the cause. Will keep updating as it unfolds.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Just got a return call from Mike McDonald at RAM Executive Support. He seems to be on top of things with the dealer.
I have the same problem, taken it to the dealer here in LA for it twice, once they reflashed the trans computer. That seemed to work for like 6 months, recently started doing it again and took it back, I asked them to do the same because they again couldn’t recreate the issue and it started again before I even got home but the dealer was already closed for the day…

problem only seems to happen when trans is below 100 degrees. Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob.
My truck shifts hard normally when it’s cold, not sure if that’s related…

any ideas @RamCares???

Also @Kicknsnare do you have any updates?

@OH2LA im in LA also and have felt with two dealers so far no luck I wonder if we bring both in at the same time if they would have to take it more seriously
FYI, they just opened a STAR case on my truck today. Also, just received a return call from Mike McDonald. Cautiously optimistic here.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
33,650 miles.

Just got a call from the dealership. They replaced the throttle body and, WHAM, the issue persisted. So they have opened a STAR case and are giving me a rental. At least they are keeping the truck to determine the cause. Will keep updating as it unfolds.
Thats ridiculous im sorry to hear that.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Latest update: A STAR case was opened and the dealership has been working with the engineers at RAM. They have put an electronic overlay on the truck in order to isolate the signal that causes the issue. Apparently, they will have an answer today and then they can fix the problem. At least they didn't give it back to me without having fixed the issue. I'm actually not pissed at this point. Rather, I'm encouraged that they might actually get to the bottom of the problem.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Latest update: A STAR case was opened and the dealership has been working with the engineers at RAM. They have put an electronic overlay on the truck in order to isolate the signal that causes the issue. Apparently, they will have an answer today and then they can fix the problem. At least they didn't give it back to me without having fixed the issue. I'm actually not pissed at this point. Rather, I'm encouraged that they might actually get to the bottom of the problem.
So, the dealership called today to tell me that they have fixed the problem, but want to keep the truck another night and drive it to make sure it doesn't happen again. Much to my surprise, they have been very responsive and I do appreciate that they're keeping it to verify that they've fixed the problem. Hope to have the truck back tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
So, the dealership called today to tell me that they have fixed the problem, but want to keep the truck another night and drive it to make sure it doesn't happen again. Much to my surprise, they have been very responsive and I do appreciate that they're keeping it to verify that they've fixed the problem. Hope to have the truck back tomorrow night or Saturday morning.
Thats finally some great news! So its an electronic overlay that caused all this?!?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you get it back can you share details on what exactly they fixed? My ****ing truck just did it again.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Thats finally some great news! So its an electronic overlay that caused all this?!?
From what I've been told so far, there was an electronic malfunction with the transmission. The engineers at RAM worked with the dealership and they installed an overlay to bypass the "failed" circuit (my term). The dealership has been driving the truck for the last three days and the issue has not reared its ugly head. I expect on Monday to get the truck back after the requisite number of driving hours have been met. I also received a third call from Mike Macdonald at Executive Services for Chrysler/Fiat - he has been great. They're taking care of me for the inconvenience this has caused. I'm just happy to get the truck fixed.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
From what I've been told so far, there was an electronic malfunction with the transmission. The engineers at RAM worked with the dealership and they installed an overlay to bypass the "failed" circuit (my term). The dealership has been driving the truck for the last three days and the issue has not reared its ugly head. I expect on Monday to get the truck back after the requisite number of driving hours have been met. I also received a third call from Mike Macdonald at Executive Services for Chrysler/Fiat - he has been great. They're taking care of me for the inconvenience this has caused. I'm just happy to get the truck fixed.
Man thats awesome that you finally got taken care of and Mike is being a true professional about it. Hope all goes well monday and its finally fixed.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Glad you’re getting this worked out. As far as we know, this only has happened to e-torque rams?

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Glad you’re getting this worked out. As far as we know, this only has happened to e-torque rams?
Mine is NOT E-Torque. Straight 5.7 Hemi. Once I have the full report tomorrow (hopefully), I will post the diagnosis and repair info.

Users who are viewing this thread