5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Big Update! So, just talked to the dealer and they are now replacing the dashboard harness and the engine harness. On order. Should arrive in a week - not counting on that! Much more involved than I thought. As I reported previously, they opened a STAR case and I have been in contact with Mike MacDonald in Executive Services. They are reimbursing me for at least one month's payment for the "inconvenience," but I think I'm going to ask for two months. LOL!

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Big Update! So, just talked to the dealer and they are now replacing the dashboard harness and the engine harness. On order. Should arrive in a week - not counting on that! Much more involved than I thought. As I reported previously, they opened a STAR case and I have been in contact with Mike MacDonald in Executive Services. They are reimbursing me for at least one month's payment for the "inconvenience," but I think I'm going to ask for two months. LOL!
Jeez, so I guess the issue came back while they were testing it?!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Jeez, so I guess the issue came back while they were testing it?!
Not sure. Guess I won't know until I pick it up. As long as I'm being compensated for the time lost, I'm ok with it. I like the truck and want to keep it and drive it. So, better they take a few more days and make sure it's fixed than to get it back early and have it happen again.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
On my way to pick up the truck. Three weeks! Will report the findings later.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Truck is back! They replaced the throttle body and both the engine and dash wiring harnesses. The truck was test driven for over 200 miles and the problem did not occur. So, it would appear that the slipping problem when the transmission would downshift has been fixed. Fingers crossed. I am very pleased with the fix and with the service. Not only did Mike MacDonald come through on his promise of reimbursement for two monthly payments (they had the truck for three full weeks), but he has followed up several times with me. Only issue that I discovered after I arrived home is that there is a small dent and a small gouge in the paint on my driver's side door. Neither was there when i dropped off the truck. I am meticulous with the care of the truck and these will have to be repaired by the dealer. So, maybe another monthly payment from RAM for the inconvenience? We shall see. But, until then, I'm pleased to have the truck back. It runs as great as ever.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I have the same problem, taken it to the dealer here in LA for it twice, once they reflashed the trans computer. That seemed to work for like 6 months, recently started doing it again and took it back, I asked them to do the same because they again couldn’t recreate the issue and it started again before I even got home but the dealer was already closed for the day…

problem only seems to happen when trans is below 100 degrees. Rolling to a stop. I feel a rough shift and it “pop” out of gear then the display to shift to P then desired gear flashes with a few audible beeps and the D is flashing above the shift knob.
My truck shifts hard normally when it’s cold, not sure if that’s related…

any ideas @RamCares???

Also @Kicknsnare do you have any updates?

@OH2LA im in LA also and have felt with two dealers so far no luck I wonder if we bring both in at the same time if they would have to take it more seriously
Check out my latest post on page 5. Downtown LACDJR dealership opened a STAR case and replaced ALL the wiring in the dash and under the hood. Both harnesses! Drove for over 200 miles and it seems to be find now.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Did you happen to have a throttle response device attached? Such as a Pedal Commander or other? Just curious, as I had used one for a week or so, but took it off as I didn't like the feel of it. Wondering if that caused my slippage issue.
I hope this isn't true I was considering getting one lol.

Truck is back! They replaced the throttle body and both the engine and dash wiring harnesses. The truck was test driven for over 200 miles and the problem did not occur. So, it would appear that the slipping problem when the transmission would downshift has been fixed. Fingers crossed. I am very pleased with the fix and with the service. Not only did Mike MacDonald come through on his promise of reimbursement for two monthly payments (they had the truck for three full weeks), but he has followed up several times with me. Only issue that I discovered after I arrived home is that there is a small dent and a small gouge in the paint on my driver's side door. Neither was there when i dropped off the truck. I am meticulous with the care of the truck and these will have to be repaired by the dealer. So, maybe another monthly payment from RAM for the inconvenience? We shall see. But, until then, I'm pleased to have the truck back. It runs as great as ever.
So happy to hear it's back and hopefully fixed finally!! Sorry to hear about the dent, I'm assuming since they have been one of the better dealerships they'll make it right.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
I hope this isn't true I was considering getting one lol.

So happy to hear it's back and hopefully fixed finally!! Sorry to hear about the dent, I'm assuming since they have been one of the better dealerships they'll make it right.
They are fixing it tomorrow. Very professional and the entire experience wasn't bad at all. Glad the truck is fixed.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Ive almost had an accident today twice because of this issue. Someone cut in front of me had to slam on the breaks message poped up on the dash while at an intersection everyone had to pass me while i limped to a stop. Its been really frustrating, gears shift very rough, loss of power when im turning into a parking lot. Im thinking of getting an attorney at this point. First replaced the trans body module then the shifter reset tcm pcm And still its there. i have some documentation on the events like pictures tried to get the landscape of the area for context. But this has been a really bad experience for me. Time and opportunity have been missed because of this and ive had little to no assistance from my dealer. I called there buy back number and opened a case. Im done with all of the back and forth.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Truck is running like
Ive almost had an accident today twice because of this issue. Someone cut in front of me had to slam on the breaks message poped up on the dash while at an intersection everyone had to pass me while i limped to a stop. Its been really frustrating, gears shift very rough, loss of power when im turning into a parking lot. Im thinking of getting an attorney at this point. First replaced the trans body module then the shifter reset tcm pcm And still its there. i have some documentation on the events like pictures tried to get the landscape of the area for context. But this has been a really bad experience for me. Time and opportunity have been missed because of this and ive had little to no assistance from my dealer. I called there buy back number and opened a case. Im done with all of the back and forth.
My truck is running perfectly now. Have driven over 500 miles and no issues. You need to contact Mike MacDonald at 586 274 8085. Tell him you're on the thread with John in L.A. and that you're having the same problem with the transmission. He is great and can help!!!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
And, BAM! The truck just did it again! I can't believe it. Driving home from dinner and the transmission slipped out of gear on the downshift around 20 mph. I've already emailed Mike MacDonald and will be calling the dealership in the a.m. SUCKS!!

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Yeah ive spoke to mike before, everytime I bring my truck in to the dealership I call him and let him know whats going on. Last time we spoke i told him that im kinda done already with this going back and forth with the dealership. Even the transmission tech told me he has seen that problem before but they have to follow the recommended repairs of whoever handles the star case. After the last repair was done which was the shifter module he didnt seem confident that would fix it. I guess ill just wait to hear from mike and mention your name John, maybe it would put pressure on them to figure out whats going on.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Yeah ive spoke to mike before, everytime I bring my truck in to the dealership I call him and let him know whats going on. Last time we spoke i told him that im kinda done already with this going back and forth with the dealership. Even the transmission tech told me he has seen that problem before but they have to follow the recommended repairs of whoever handles the star case. After the last repair was done which was the shifter module he didnt seem confident that would fix it. I guess ill just wait to hear from mike and mention your name John, maybe it would put pressure on them to figure out whats going on.
So, my truck just did it again last night - after the "fix." I contacted Mike and he responded within two hours. He's assigning the regional CA office to get involved and help the dealer diagnose the problem. I think Mike is sincere and will give them another shot.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
So, my truck just did it again last night - after the "fix." I contacted Mike and he responded within two hours. He's assigning the regional CA office to get involved and help the dealer diagnose the problem. I think Mike is sincere and will give them another shot.
Just curious how do you contact mike? by email or do you call directly? I always call him but I dont hear from him till days later

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Well, I just dropped off the truck at the dealer again - for the second time. They have not only opened a STAR case, but Mike MacDonald has engaged the regional technical office to assist in the diagnosis of the problem with the transmission. They gave me a souped up Challenger to drive in the meantime - which is pretty sweet. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread