5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Took it bak to the dealership again today. They said apart from replacing the transmission they dont know what else. Looked at the rams buy back program and waiting for them to call me back. Got a free uber ride home. Very disappointing. They offered me 50 dollar per day allowance on car rental. Yeah i dont see me driving a a toyota camry to job sites. I told them i need a truck to get to job sites that i go to. Ive been very patient and i think me being nice is been taken advantage of by them its sucks how they can treat me like that but what can i do just wait for them to do something i guess. Never heard back from mike left voicemail and emailed him too.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Took it bak to the dealership again today. They said apart from replacing the transmission they dont know what else. Looked at the rams buy back program and waiting for them to call me back. Got a free uber ride home. Very disappointing. They offered me 50 dollar per day allowance on car rental. Yeah i dont see me driving a a toyota camry to job sites. I told them i need a truck to get to job sites that i go to. Ive been very patient and i think me being nice is been taken advantage of by them its sucks how they can treat me like that but what can i do just wait for them to do something i guess. Never heard back from mike left voicemail and emailed him too.
No way! What town are you in? I am supposed to talk to Mike today. I can mention your case to him, if you want.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
In in texas, my truck is in humble, texas My name is Robert that would help me greatly

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
In in texas, my truck is in humble, texas My name is Robert that would help me greatly
Left word for MacDonald regarding your situation. I summed up what you've written here. Also, I'm in Los Angeles and it's a huge dealership with a lot of resources. They have also brought in the regional RAM technical center for assistance in diagnosing the issue. So, I believe they will get to the bottom of it, which can ultimately help you with your dealer. Will keep you posted about MacDonald's response.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. Hopefully they can find a fix to our problem. Really dont want to give up on my truck. Thanks again John.

Jimdangles

Reaction score
Just responding so I can find out the answer to this issue. Happens to me more rarely than you guys but I’d love to get this fixed.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Just responding so I can find out the answer to this issue. Happens to me more rarely than you guys but I’d love to get this fixed.
As of yesterday, the truck has been back at the dealership for three days. In addition to the dealership mechanics, RAM has sent in a regional engineering team to help diagnose the problem. Waiting to hear from them. Will update once I have the results.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealership that the truck was ready. The issue, according to them, was that when they re-wired the harness it malfunctioned. So, I guess it is working as designed, now. There was an engineering team that was brought in from the regional technical support office for RAM, apparently. This team worked with the STAR group and the dealership's mechanics to "solve" the problem. We shall see. I get the truck next Friday, after their bodyshop fixes a small dent that they caused during the first visit. Will keep you updated.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Not at all i guess my case was passed along to someone else. Somone from stellantis has called me about my truck its still at the shop no progress for a week now. Hope to hear something by tomorrow but i doubt i will. At this point im just waiting for them to call. Dealership said they will update me but nothing yet. Dont want to waste my time with Mike anymore.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Not at all i guess my case was passed along to someone else. Somone from stellantis has called me about my truck its still at the shop no progress for a week now. Hope to hear something by tomorrow but i doubt i will. At this point im just waiting for them to call. Dealership said they will update me but nothing yet. Dont want to waste my time with Mike anymore.
Sorry to hear that. Apparently, my issue was the wiring harness. Supposedly fixed now. Will know this week.

Stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
I had the same issue as everyone here. The problem really manifested when I had larger tires on my truck and first thing in the morning. I have a 2019 bighorn with the 5.7L. I could duplicate the problem every morning. I’ve since put smaller tires back on the truck and the problem has gone away. The truck still “jumps” on downshifts during the morning, but it doesn’t get itself out of gear like it did.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same issue as everyone here. The problem really manifested when I had larger tires on my truck and first thing in the morning. I have a 2019 bighorn with the 5.7L. I could duplicate the problem every morning. I’ve since put smaller tires back on the truck and the problem has gone away. The truck still “jumps” on downshifts during the morning, but it doesn’t get itself out of gear like it did.
I have OEM rims/tires on my truck.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Interesting. My truck did it from the beginning with the factory rims and tires. It would occur two to three times per week during the first few months. Then around six months, it began to do it four to five times per week. Around the one year mark, I upgraded the wheels and tires and the problem remained four to five times per week. It was only in the last two months that the problem began to accelerate - happening several times per day. That's when I took the truck into the dealership. They have replaced the throttle body and rewired both the engine and dash harnesses twice!! We shall see on Friday, when I get the truck back.

JJMack

Reaction score
Having this exact issue with my 2019 R Rebel. Only 15 000 kms on it and dealership says they have no idea how to repair. Reading through this forum it appears there still isn't a fix? My question is why hasn't a notice been sent to dealerships? Ours said they've never heard of the issue. Quite frustrating and scary to drive.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
They dont know what to do. My truck been at the dealership on and off for 51 days now still with no progress. Ill ask them how its going once and while get the same response. They are trying to diagnose the problem still waiting on star. Its been a nightmare for me. Starting to sound like a broken record on here sorry.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Having this exact issue with my 2019 R Rebel. Only 15 000 kms on it and dealership says they have no idea how to repair. Reading through this forum it appears there still isn't a fix? My question is why hasn't a notice been sent to dealerships? Ours said they've never heard of the issue. Quite frustrating and scary to drive.
They opened a STAR case and the regional technical office for RAM sent an engineer to the dealership to assist. On mine, they replaced the wiring harnesses - both the dash and engine. So far, it has been working as designed with no slips out of gear.

Users who are viewing this thread