5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission falling out of Drive on downshift, blinking, displaying "shift to P" and back

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Had this happen to me, 3 dealerships visited no codes for that issue only for the active grille shutters, showed video to them called customer service at ram care all dead ends. The video posted says it all and ram should address this. happens to me intermittently happend yesterday on the freeway slowing down for traffic asked me to put in park. Dont know what to do now.
Call this guy:

Mike McDonald
RAM Executive Support
586-274-8085

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Had this happen to me, 3 dealerships visited no codes for that issue only for the active grille shutters, showed video to them called customer service at ram care all dead ends. The video posted says it all and ram should address this. happens to me intermittently happend yesterday on the freeway slowing down for traffic asked me to put in park. Dont know what to do now.
Thats absolutely ridiculous. The fact people have video evidence of this happening and its happened to many of us and they are just brushing it off like its nothing is sickening. @RamCares is clearly full of sh*t.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.......and add me to the list of trucks having this issue. 2021 BTS purchased March 2021, 3.21 gears. A hair below 7000 miles on the odometer and I had this happen as I was pulling onto a fairly busy country highway with my kid in the back. If it were a busier road I would have been T-Boned.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you can get the run around from someone getting paid more money than the stealership? Or is this guy actually useful unlike the rest of them.
So, here's the quick story:
  1. I got the run around from my dealer
  2. I got the runaround from RAM Customer Service
  3. Assigned me to a Case Manager
  4. I got the run around from my Case Manager
  5. Went on LinkedIn and contacted the CEO, COO, EVP, President of MOPAR explaining my extreme displeasure
  6. Got a call a few hours later from Mike and received a full apology
  7. Part was overnighted to my dealer
  8. Dealer took care of the issue (no apology from my dealer)
  9. RAM Customer Service's Case Manager called me back to apologize
  10. Mike offered me a 4 year FREE Synthetic Oil Change and Tire Rotation Package that can be used at any RAM dealer coast to coast for my troubles
Yes, I would say he was very useful...if he's still there;)

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, here's the quick story:
  1. I got the run around from my dealer
  2. I got the runaround from RAM Customer Service
  3. Assigned me to a Case Manager
  4. I got the run around from my Case Manager
  5. Went on LinkedIn and contacted the CEO, COO, EVP, President of MOPAR explaining my extreme displeasure
  6. Got a call a few hours later from Mike and received a full apology
  7. Part was overnighted to my dealer
  8. Dealer took care of the issue (no apology from my dealer)
  9. RAM Customer Service's Case Manager called me back to apologize
  10. Mike offered me a 4 year FREE Synthetic Oil Change and Tire Rotation Package that can be used at any RAM dealer coast to coast for my troubles
Yes, I would say he was very useful...if he's still there;)
The replacement of what part, exactly, fixed this issue?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The replacement of what part, exactly, fixed this issue?
Totally different issue than the tranny so really doesn't matter. The point is, if you get the right folks involved at RAM at the highest level, things will get done!

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Just left mike a voicemail hopefully that does something. Been without my truck for over a week being a work truck for me its a big inconvenience.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Just got my truck back. Updated pcm and tcm. I think they just reset it or something hope that did it. it works fine for now i guess.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Good idea. Show up at the same time and come at them from both sides! Mine pops out even when below 100 degrees.
So, took the truck in again two days ago. They called last night and want me to come down to the dealer (Downtown L.A.) and drive with the mechanic and the service manager, as they were "unable to replicate the issue." This is getting ridiculous.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Just called MIke McDonald and left a message at Executive Support. Hopefully, he can help. Thanks for that number!!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
It's only happened once for me, but damn if I'm not paranoid about it now.
I got the truck in June of 2019. Didn't happen until a few months later. Happened once of twice a month. About ten months ago, the frequency increased to once a week or so. In the last three months, it has gradually increased to being nearly a daily issue. Sometimes several times a day. The downtown L.A. dealership has it now, but can't "replicate" the issue. So, I'm going down today to drive with the service manager and the chief mechanic. I also called the Executive Support number and left a message for Mike McDonald. Will post updates as they happen.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
This happened once at the gas station while filling up my tires after some offroading. Never appeared again, however, mine slammed the brakes and shifted to park.
Was scary not gonna lie.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Took it back to the dealer today happend just when i was pulling up. So they saw with their own eyes. This sucks!!!

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the dealer so that we could drive the truck with the service manager and chief mechanic in order to recreate the issue. What do you know? I had barely driven 100 yards and, wham, the transmission slipped into neutral on the downshift. Couldn't believe it. They were shocked, but to their credit they acknowledged how dangerous this is and guaranteed they would correct the problem. I told them I had already contacted Mike McDonald Executive Support and they assured me they would be contacting RAM directly about the issue. They had never seen this, according to them. So... I wait.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to the dealer so that we could drive the truck with the service manager and chief mechanic in order to recreate the issue. What do you know? I had barely driven 100 yards and, wham, the transmission slipped into neutral on the downshift. Couldn't believe it. They were shocked, but to their credit they acknowledged how dangerous this is and guaranteed they would correct the problem. I told them I had already contacted Mike McDonald Executive Support and they assured me they would be contacting RAM directly about the issue. They had never seen this, according to them.

rob21_hinch

Reaction score
My dealer i think is going to replace the electronic shifter module. Im just waiting aswell, not heard from Mike McDonald since the first time i got it back.

Kicknsnare

Reaction score
Also left a voicemail with mike McDonald a week ago and called again today. He’s not responding. It would really help if you would post your paperwork @securityguy .

I can tell you it is not the pcm, tcm, electronic shift module, door latch, battery, known weak point of camshaft position sensor(?; can’t remember now), as those inspections or replacements have been attempted on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread