5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
Need to order TPMS for 2019 Ram 1500 20” tires. 5th Gen.
Does anyone have an amazon link or other suggestion?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

DreamRider

Reaction score
Why are people buying these? If you get new wheels you cant take the ones off your stock wheels and put on the new wheels?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Why are people buying these? If you get new wheels you cant take the ones off your stock wheels and put on the new wheels?

Sure you can swap your sensors. But many either buy a spare set of wheels or don't want to be bothered breaking their old wheels down to remove. Plus I would imagine if you are selling your stock they would be easier to sell with the sensors left in. Personal choice.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You'd think .. as long as they don't get damaged (which can happen pulling them out because the rubber will rip off - which happens almost always) .. RAM doesn't use the screw on type.

Pressgrove

Reaction score

Tedscanoe

Reaction score
Winter Tires on their own rims is why I'm buying tpms units.
5 months of snow and ice where I live demands real winter tires and not those relatively useless all season.
My summer OEM tires already have tpms and I won't trash those fancy aluminum rims twice a year taking off summer tires and putting on winter tires then repeating the process in the spring.

Big time thanks for the pointers to some really good prices on decent tpms.
All I'd been able to find so far was 45 bucks per unit.
Really appreciated.

Geobound

Reaction score
Winter Tires on their own rims is why I'm buying tpms units.
5 months of snow and ice where I live demands real winter tires and not those relatively useless all season.
My summer OEM tires already have tpms and I won't trash those fancy aluminum rims twice a year taking off summer tires and putting on winter tires then repeating the process in the spring.

Big time thanks for the pointers to some really good prices on decent tpms.
All I'd been able to find so far was 45 bucks per unit.
Really appreciated.

Fellow Ontario Canuck here......what sort of snows and rims did you put on your truck? I have a 2019 Limited with the 22's tires and need to do something soon.

I'm guessing that the TPMS you ordered arrived fine? I need to get a set of those too.

Thanks

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reaction score
Not sure if you know, but I have a question. I just got these sensors (or OEM ones like them) installed. I went to three different mechanics and they all looked at me like I had five heads when I told them the Mopar sensors I used previously auto-synced to my old Dart after a short drive, and heard the Ram sensors do the same, and that I believed it to be a Chrysler thing. They all made me feel stupid. I had to beg a tire shop to just do the work and send me out the door, because they didn’t want to risk sending me off without them actually working. Why is this such a foreign thing to them?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Not sure if you know, but I have a question. I just got these sensors (or OEM ones like them) installed. I went to three different mechanics and they all looked at me like I had five heads when I told them the Mopar sensors I used previously auto-synced to my old Dart after a short drive, and heard the Ram sensors do the same, and that I believed it to be a Chrysler thing. They all made me feel stupid. I had to beg a tire shop to just do the work and send me out the door, because they didn’t want to risk sending me off without them actually working. Why is this such a foreign thing to them?

some sensors need to be “triggered” by a tpms tool. Theoretically if you use sensors that are on the same frequency as oem, they should work, but that’s not always the case. With these new Rams I highly recommend the oem sensors which you can get off eBay now for like $35 for a set, which is nuts since they used to sell for like $180. The various tire shops usually use generic sensors and their tools work with those sensors. The newer vehicles have sensors with different frequencies, some lock down their tpms/ecu so you can’t write the sensor ids to them, etc. So I’m not shocked the shops don’t have the answers on the new vehicles. Anyway if you have non oem sensors, not sure if you will have luck getting them working. Oem, it’s plug and play.

Last edited:
Reaction score
some sensors need to be “triggered” by a tpms tool. Theoretically if you use sensors that are on the same frequency as oem, they should work, but that’s not always the case. With these new Rams I highly recommend the oem sensors which you can get off eBay now for like $35 for a set, which is nuts since they use to sell for like $180. The various tire shops usually use generic sensors and their tools work with those sensors. The newer vehicles have sensors with different frequencies, some lock down their tpms/ecu so you can’t write the sensor ids to them, etc. So I’m not shocked the shops don’t have the answers on the new vehicles. Anyway if you have non oem sensors, not sure if you will have luck getting them working. Oem, it’s plug and play.
Ah ok, well I made sure I went with the OEM replacements for my 2019. They put them in and were very skeptical about letting me leave without them having to reprogram them, but like I thought they would, they synced up mid-drive home. I’m glad this forum is around because it was the reason I was so confident in those sensors working.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Ah ok, well I made sure I went with the OEM replacements for my 2019. They put them in and were very skeptical about letting me leave without them having to reprogram them, but like I thought they would, they synced up mid-drive home. I’m glad this forum is around because it was the reason I was so confident in those sensors working.

One of the things you can’t do without a special programming tool is adjust the upper/lower thresholds of your tpms warnings. So if you go with a different tire size that happens to use the same psi limits, you are fine but if not, you will get tpms warnings unless you get a programming tool like a Tazer.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread