5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS reset after changing wheels and tires?

canative

Reaction score
I just changed from my OEM stock wheels and tires to Rebel wheels and tires yesterday. Today on the way home from work I get a warning that there is an error from the TPMS not reading any tire pressure. Is there any kind of reset I have to do? Drove fine yesterday and this morning on the way to work.

Barney556180

Reaction score
Yes, the sensors have to be “introduced” to the vehicle. A dealer or repair shop can do this in about 10-15 minutes.

I have a shop swap out mounted snows and all seasons twice a year. They use a handheld tool to program the sensors as part of the swap.

BTW, this must be done each time the vehicle ‘sees’ a change, even with previously set up tires.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you drive around a bit to "wake" them up. If they still aren't recognized they're either missing or damaged.

Yes, the sensors have to be “introduced” to the vehicle. A dealer or repair shop can do this in about 10-15 minutes.

I have a shop swap out mounted snows and all seasons twice a year. They use a handheld tool to program the sensors as part of the swap.

BTW, this must be done each time the vehicle ‘sees’ a change, even with previously set up tires.

Complete bullshlt. FCA sensors are automatically recognized after a few tire rotations. You should ask for a refund for whatever they charged you to do this "introduction".

pinkerton

Reaction score
Please help - I just installed the factory 22's purchased from this forum (thanks) and my TPMS light is on. I've driven the truck a few hundred miles and it has not reset. Now it's at my local tire dealer and they confirmed it has the sensors but can't reset the system. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reset?

chad202

Reaction score
I purchased new wheels/tires/TPMS, put them and drive home with factory wheels in the bed. Unloaded factory and went drive and never got any light, it picked up the new ones that fast.

pinkerton

Reaction score
I purchased new wheels/tires/TPMS, put them and drive home with factory wheels in the bed. Unloaded factory and went drive and never got any light, it picked up the new ones that fast.
Pardon - the seller just confirmed there are no sensors. I don't know why the shop is telling me they have sensors (they're obviously guessing). I'll get some installed.

Michael_D

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the sensors do need to be the correct sensor for the vehicle. If they are not factory OEM sensors, they may need to be programmed to output the correct frequency. Some aftermarket sensors will need to be re-calibrated to the correct output frequency. I just went through this the other day. New sensors installed and the truck would not recognize them. The tire shop used a Snap-on tool to "clone" the new sensors to the OEM sensors, then took the truck for a spin around the block. The Snap-on programmer was updated to the newest software, but it did not have the 2019 sensor profile, which is why the Tech had to clone the factory sensors.

Ram/Dodge has TPMS data linking receivers in each wheel well area that links data from the individual tire pressure sensor to the vehicle BCM (body control module). That is why you should not need to use a tool when you swap wheels/tires. GM vehicles do not have this feature, which is why you need to re-link each wheel to the BCM when you swap wheels/tires.

canative

Reaction score
Bought some new TPMS sensors off the net had them installed and drove around for about 15min and now all is good.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the sensors do need to be the correct sensor for the vehicle. If they are not factory OEM sensors, they may need to be programmed to output the correct frequency. Some aftermarket sensors will need to be re-calibrated to the correct output frequency. I just went through this the other day. New sensors installed and the truck would not recognize them. The tire shop used a Snap-on tool to "clone" the new sensors to the OEM sensors, then took the truck for a spin around the block. The Snap-on programmer was updated to the newest software, but it did not have the 2019 sensor profile, which is why the Tech had to clone the factory sensors.

Ram/Dodge has TPMS data linking receivers in each wheel well area that links data from the individual tire pressure sensor to the vehicle BCM (body control module). That is why you should not need to use a tool when you swap wheels/tires. GM vehicles do not have this feature, which is why you need to re-link each wheel to the BCM when you swap wheels/tires.

The "frequency" is not programmed; it's fixed. Data transmits on 433 MHz. The maintenance link operates on 125 kHz. This is standardized worldwide. Sometimes 325 MHz is used. What's being programmed is the packeting; how the data is structured. Encryption information is also programmed. Every OEM is free to use any data structure and encryption scheme that they see fit. Naturally, these schemes are different from OEM to OEM. Unless you're a Chinese OEM in which case you'd just steal someone else's work . As a cost cutting measure, typical systems will only use 3 wheel-well receivers; the 4th wheel is discerned by process of elimination.

Michael_D

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the clarification. I was parroting what the Technician told me that had to get them to work. So what exactly was he "cloning"? The encryption packet?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be my guess... something having to do with encryption regarding TPMS identifiers in the data packet... with the purpose of making sure your sensors don't interact with other nearby cars.

Raydar

Reaction score
FWIW, I bought a set of 20" Laramies to replace my factory 18s.
The 20s did not come with TPMS sensors. I had to have my existing ones moved over to the new wheels.
Even though they were the same sensors, the truck still had to "find" them, after the wheels were swapped.
Only took about ten minutes of driving.

Not a big deal, but it may save someone a few minutes of angst.
(Anyone need any 18s? :D I left them broken down.)

Ranger

Reaction score
In summary:

You need 433 mHz TPMS for our trucks. The truck will automatically pick them up after some miles --> no calibration needed. If you put another frequency sensor in your wheels, then additional black box magic is needed. Buy the right frequency sensors and you're good to go. The classic 2019 and new body 2019 sensors are different! Be diligent about your research or your local dealer invoice before you hit the buy button

cwcoolerrepair

Reaction score
In summary:

You need 433 mHz TPMS for our trucks. The truck will automatically pick them up after some miles --> no calibration needed. If you put another frequency sensor in your wheels, then additional black box magic is needed. Buy the right frequency sensors and you're good to go. The classic 2019 and new body 2019 sensors are different! Be diligent about your research or your local dealer invoice before you hit the buy button
Do you have a part #
Or just as long as they’re 433mhz

jonnyt

Reaction score
Digging up some old posts. I purchased a set of Laramie 18s with Wild Peak take offs (brand new factory offroad package), and having the same sensor issue when I switched them all out when I got a flat in RR. First day 3 sensors still showed 35...next day all showed --. I have only had to drive it about 15 miles, is that enough to "reset"?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Having the same issue, swapped out my wheel and tires for a different style but 19 oem wheels with 19 oem tpms sensors. Seemed fine yesterday driving about 10 miles. All showed 35psi. Today drove another 10 and the entire system went offline. Drove 50 miles to a job and still none showed up. Did a couple runs to home depot for parts and the right rear has showed up but still 3 down. Not sure if it matters or not but I have one of my original wheels (with a sensor) in the bed right now to use as a full size spare. Will update after I drive another 50 miles home.

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_0841135.jpg
    IMG_20200130_0841135.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 154

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having the same issue, swapped out my wheel and tires for a different style but 19 oem wheels with 19 oem tpms sensors. Seemed fine yesterday driving about 10 miles. All showed 35psi. Today drove another 10 and the entire system went offline. Drove 50 miles to a job and still none showed up. Did a couple runs to home depot for parts and the right rear has showed up but still 3 down. Not sure if it matters or not but I have one of my original wheels (with a sensor) in the bed right now to use as a full size spare. Will update after I drive another 50 miles home.

if they are oem sensors they should get picked up quickly after driving. Maybe 10 min? The wheel in the bed might be messing things up.

jonnyt

Reaction score
A-Team,
So the factory new take offs that I purchased from a guy, had the TPMS sensors removed to put on his new rims. He did not know that they were removed and swapped. The dealer or any tire place should have a scanner to see if the sensors are still there

Users who are viewing this thread