5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing the new camper

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Towed for a few hours this morning. The tires definitely made a huge difference. Still a windy day, with some gusts that had me slowing to 50 mph or so, but when we weren't in the wind it felt very stable up to 65 mph.

I also tightened the Andersen down. Measured the exposed threads at 2.25". We stopped to loosen it a bit, but that made no difference, so I tightened it back down.

I think I'm going to try to get the Hellwig installed when we're in Moab, and will still have to wait on the bags until I get to my buddy's house.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Provo.
20221015_173756.jpg

20221019_090912.jpg

After the new tires.
20221022_080917.jpg

Couple nights on BLM land.
20221022_123058.jpg

20221022_123009.jpg

20221023_104416-jpg.142019

Attachments

• 20221023_104416.jpg
    20221023_104416.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 189

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice pictures, pretty much open country there, not many trees to stop the wind. It looks like you have absolutely no neighbours.
I wanted to see where you were, I never heard of BLM land so I googled it, does it mean Bureau of Land Management? Then I searched Provo, that’s in Utah right.
I just noticed that you have a cover for the front window of your trailer, I hadn’t noticed it before, it’s definitely a good idea to have protection for such a large window.
You do travel a lot, have you notice more of a difference in mpg since upgrading to the larger trailer?
My wife and I enjoyed traveling this past summer in Canada, but the traveling season is at it’s end now, most campgrounds are closed now in eastern Canada. You have the benefits of warmer weather and being able to travel to campgrounds year round. We do live on a big beautiful continent and there is so much to see.
We will be heading to Florida with our small travel trailer in late winter next year. The first stop in USA will be near Washington DC, it will be the longest leg of the trip, it is the closest open year round campground south of Gatineau Quebec near Ottawa Ontario, leaving from our children’s place, I will have to flush out the plumbing antifreeze when getting to the campground.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice pictures, pretty much open country there, not many trees to stop the wind. It looks like you have absolutely no neighbours.
I wanted to see where you were, I never heard of BLM land so I googled it, does it mean Bureau of Land Management? Then I searched Provo, that’s in Utah right.
I just noticed that you have a cover for the front window of your trailer, I hadn’t noticed it before, it’s definitely a good idea to have protection for such a large window.
You do travel a lot, have you notice more of a difference in mpg since upgrading to the larger trailer?
My wife and I enjoyed traveling this past summer in Canada, but the traveling season is at it’s end now, most campgrounds are closed now in eastern Canada. You have the benefits of warmer weather and being able to travel to campgrounds year round. We do live on a big beautiful continent and there is so much to see.
We will be heading to Florida with our small travel trailer in late winter next year. The first stop in USA will be near Washington DC, it will be the longest leg of the trip, it is the closest open year round campground south of Gatineau Quebec near Ottawa Ontario, leaving from our children’s place, I will have to flush out the plumbing antifreeze when getting to the campground.
Yep, Bureau of Land Management in Utah.

After towing this one more, I haven't noticed much of a difference in fuel economy. I think that has a lot to do with my overall speed being lower with the bigger trailer.

It's going to be below freezing here and a few other places along the way, but not all day. We have line and tank heaters, so should be good for all the colder it'll get for us.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you already know this but just fyi, if you have the tools the Hellwig installation is a piece of cake...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you already know this but just fyi, if you have the tools the Hellwig installation is a piece of cake...
Yep, doesn't look too bad. Was hoping to be able to find a place to have it shipped, but we won't be anywhere long enough until we're at a friend's house in Texas. So, Hellwig and Timber Grove bags will go on at the same time.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I know people like their limited's and larimie's, which are nice. Since you're full timing for awhile, have you thought about 18" wheels? I'm going to be picking up a 21 Big Horn on Friday to pull our 5,500 lb travel trailer and wouldn't want to go with anything bigger than a 18" wheel. I specifically searched trucks with 18" wheels and no e-torq. Those are cool looking trailers.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know people like their limited's and larimie's, which are nice. Since you're full timing for awhile, have you thought about 18" wheels? I'm going to be picking up a 21 Big Horn on Friday to pull our 5,500 lb travel trailer and wouldn't want to go with anything bigger than a 18" wheel. I specifically searched trucks with 18" wheels and no e-torq. Those are cool looking trailers.
I thought about doing some smaller wheels, but I really like the wheels that are on it. The tires have helped quite a bit. The only time I'm really feeling I need to keep it under 65 mph is when we get into 15+ mph winds or when the road gets the trailer moving around. I think that will be solved with the Hellwig and/or Timer Grove bags that are going on in a couple weeks.

If this group of mods doesn't do it, I'll be moving up to a SRW 3500 Limited.

gofishn

Reaction score
Just saw this thread, read most of the posts.

Have you considered going with TufTruck Rear Springs and upgrading shocks?

I come from decades in a 3/4 ton, hated the 1/2 ride and few things in life ticked me off more than that darn squat.
Even empty, truck felt like it was all over the road and I was floating along in a 70's Sedan DeVille.

Upgraded Springs and shocks, insane difference,
Truck could handle whatever I threw at it. I did upgrade to my old reliable Michelin LTX M/S
but those KO2's are plenty good.

Never been a fan of air bags. If installing, make sure to have a separate line to each bag with separate fill nozzle.
Do NOT want air to flow, from one bag, to another.
Completely defeats the functionality of the bags and actually make things worse.

Images seem to indicate you have your hitch dialed in, HOWEVER, it sure doesn;t hurt to find a reputable RV store
and have their guys take a look. If you know much, at all, you can tell who's BS'ing and who knows whats what.

Thought I had mine dialed in, been puling stuff for almost 40 years but this was solid bar system, no chains and, just to be sure, took it in to shop I known for years.
Sure enough, slightest litttle adjustment made aton of difference. Little 24ft camper being pulled locally by 21 Ford Explorer ST. Within limits, barely.

Wife pulls the rig, sometimes, so wanted to make it easy as could be.
Shop did help and the changes were small.

SO, check out some shops see what they say on hitch setup.
Every little bit helps.

Biggest thing is, Tuftruck Springs. I flat out love them.
Probably be my next Mod on this new 22.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this thread, read most of the posts.

Have you considered going with TufTruck Rear Springs and upgrading shocks?

I come from decades in a 3/4 ton, hated the 1/2 ride and few things in life ticked me off more than that darn squat.
Even empty, truck felt like it was all over the road and I was floating along in a 70's Sedan DeVille.

Upgraded Springs and shocks, insane difference,
Truck could handle whatever I threw at it. I did upgrade to my old reliable Michelin LTX M/S
but those KO2's are plenty good.

Never been a fan of air bags. If installing, make sure to have a separate line to each bag with separate fill nozzle.
Do NOT want air to flow, from one bag, to another.
Completely defeats the functionality of the bags and actually make things worse.

Images seem to indicate you have your hitch dialed in, HOWEVER, it sure doesn;t hurt to find a reputable RV store
and have their guys take a look. If you know much, at all, you can tell who's BS'ing and who knows whats what.

Thought I had mine dialed in, been puling stuff for almost 40 years but this was solid bar system, no chains and, just to be sure, took it in to shop I known for years.
Sure enough, slightest litttle adjustment made aton of difference. Little 24ft camper being pulled locally by 21 Ford Explorer ST. Within limits, barely.

Wife pulls the rig, sometimes, so wanted to make it easy as could be.
Shop did help and the changes were small.

SO, check out some shops see what they say on hitch setup.
Every little bit helps.

Biggest thing is, Tuftruck Springs. I flat out love them.
Probably be my next Mod on this new 22.
Haven't really considered springs or shocks because I generally like the way it rides when I'm not towing. If I keep swapping things out, I'm leaning more to moving up to a 3500.

Anyone know if the Timber Groves come with what's needed to run them separate?

gofishn

Reaction score
Haven't really considered springs or shocks because I generally like the way it rides when I'm not towing. If I keep swapping things out, I'm leaning more to moving up to a 3500.

Anyone know if the Timber Groves come with what's needed to run them separate?

Less than $250 should get the springs.

Air lines can be found pretty much anywhere.

However, using air bags changes ride signifcantly. Basically, you are removing the springs functions from the equation.
the Air pressure makes it much harder for springs to function causing a very stiff ride. Same as bump stops. Using bump stops to prevetn squat means the stops hit teh frame or axle, stoppping squat but you are no riding the axle and the springs do nto function as designed.
Add in the issue of one air bag failing, I highly recommend changing out the springs, first, if you liek teh OEM ride then get teh variable rate springs.

I only use air bags if everything else is already done. For towing situations.

My WIfes Ford Explorer St has air bags added to ti but they are htere solely to prevent frotn end lift when I accelerate in racing conditions.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Less than $250 should get the springs.

Air lines can be found pretty much anywhere.

However, using air bags changes ride signifcantly. Basically, you are removing the springs functions from the equation.
the Air pressure makes it much harder for springs to function causing a very stiff ride. Same as bump stops. Using bump stops to prevetn squat means the stops hit teh frame or axle, stoppping squat but you are no riding the axle and the springs do nto function as designed.
Add in the issue of one air bag failing, I highly recommend changing out the springs, first, if you liek teh OEM ride then get teh variable rate springs.

I only use air bags if everything else is already done. For towing situations.

My WIfes Ford Explorer St has air bags added to ti but they are htere solely to prevent frotn end lift when I accelerate in racing conditions.
I have been using the Airlift air bags for years, I really don’t know what you are talking about the ride quality change, there is absolutely no difference in the ride if the bags are deflated to the minimum 5 psi and your truck is not loaded, I have loaded my trucks many times and towed many trailers for thousands of miles and of course the ride quality is different in those situations, air bags or not, the difference is with the air bags you will eliminate the squat and hitting the bump stops. The HD Airlifts are capable of adding 2000 lbs at 50 psi, that would be overloading your 1/2 ton truck and of course the ride would be different, again air bags or not.

I had the air bags in my 2011 for 9 years and never had a single issue. I installed the HD Airlift in my 2020 Rebel since new and not long after I was inflating the airbags without paying attention and ruptured one of the air bags because of over inflating, I contacted Airlift saying that one of the bags came apart at the seam and they sent me a new one at no cost! I now use a Ridgid cordless handheld air compressor for inflating, set the pressure and it stops automatically, easier and safe, I keep it in the Rambox.

gofishn

Reaction score
I cannot type but let me try.
Air bags, when inflated, give a much more harsh ride than actual springs would. No matter if variable rate or constant rate.
Once that bag is placed into effect, by the load, it its very stiffness which affects teh ride. Under Load, no load, no air, no effect.

Springs providw a choice, Keep the OEM Ride,, with a variable rate spring. Squat will still occur, though not as much as OEM SPrings. Once that varaible rte springs is compressed to acertain point, then the rate gets tronger and weight is met with more rersistance, similar to an air bag but not nearly as firmly. In teh case of constant rate spring. the OEM ride is no longer there. The spring is stiffer, wit the same rate of compression, throughtout. ye, again, for a bag to provide teh same amount of resistance, the ride will be better with teh spring.

WHich do you think is a more permenant solution? Metal Springs or flexible air bag?
Which is going to last longer?

A variable rate Tuftruck spring, once installedm is done. Nothing ever needs be done again,. Its going to be able to handle 50% more payload and, when not supporting a load, will give the original OEM Ride. With lighter loads, same OEM SPring liek behavior and ride will occur. It si sonly when getting serous about things that the springs will shine and ride will begin to be affected.

Same cannot be said for air bags got to fill them. if not enough air for the laod, add more air. when load is gone, bleed air to get ride back. constant mfarting around and, the ride is never a good as actual physical springs.

SPrings can be bought for less than $250. Truly Excellent springs.
Ones that a ton of members form various forums, have used for years.

Now, if springs do nto do the job, one can always go with air bags, although, at that point, I;d be stressing about the axle not being able to handle the load.
The Axle is teh weak point in all of this.

I've used bags over the last 40 years, gt a set in my wife's explorer right now.
Even had them in trucks, but only after the springs were upgraded.

This Ends my Peach.
Carry on

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of Timber Grove bags sitting at a buddy's house so those are definitely going in.

The only question is whether I want to order a new set of springs to put in as well.

The truck is pretty close to being comfortable. I wouldn't still be in it if I wasn't confident in how it tows.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cannot type but let me try.
Air bags, when inflated, give a much more harsh ride than actual springs would. No matter if variable rate or constant rate.
Once that bag is placed into effect, by the load, it its very stiffness which affects teh ride. Under Load, no load, no air, no effect.

That is so wrong, the ride is absolutely not affected, specially when there is little air in the airbags, the reason for the minimal air is so the bag doesn’t move around. Of course the ride will be stiffer if you add air, the same if you add stiffer coils, the big advantage for the bags is that you have the option to deflate them.
Springs providw a choice, Keep the OEM Ride,, with a variable rate spring. Squat will still occur, though not as much as OEM SPrings. Once that varaible rte springs is compressed to acertain point, then the rate gets tronger and weight is met with more rersistance, similar to an air bag but not nearly as firmly. In teh case of constant rate spring. the OEM ride is no longer there. The spring is stiffer, wit the same rate of compression, throughtout. ye, again, for a bag to provide teh same amount of resistance, the ride will be better with teh spring.

That is also wrong, by adding a stiffer variable rate coil spring you will not have an OEM ride, if you have less squat the unloaded ride will not be the same, the only advantage would be if you were loaded all the time, didn’t you know that the Ram 1/2 and 3/4 trucks already come with variable coils.
I bought a new 1996 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, back then they had a solid front axle with coils, it would hit the bump stops with very little bounce so the dealer replaced them with heavier springs, it was covered under warranty, it sat a bit higher and had a stiffer ride.
WHich do you think is a more permenant solution? Metal Springs or flexible air bag?
Which is going to last longer?

Wrong again, I’ve had leaf springs brake many times, I had to replace a broken leaf spring on my 1996 Dodge Ram for it to pass the safety for resale, I had the main leaf spring break on my travel trailer and my flatbed trailer, I also had both coil springs break on my Chevy Chevette and Toyota van. The bags will never rot or rust. The lines are plastic and will never rot or rust,.
A variable rate Tuftruck spring, once installedm is done. Nothing ever needs be done again,. Its going to be able to handle 50% more payload and, when not supporting a load, will give the original OEM Ride. With lighter loads, same OEM SPring liek behavior and ride will occur. It si sonly when getting serous about things that the springs will shine and ride will begin to be affected.
Wow 50% more payload, where did you get that number, and you say the ride is not affected if not loaded!
Same cannot be said for air bags got to fill them. if not enough air for the laod, add more air. when load is gone, bleed air to get ride back. constant mfarting around and, the ride is never a good as actual physical springs.

SPrings can be bought for less than $250. Truly Excellent springs.
Ones that a ton of members form various forums, have used for years.

Now, if springs do nto do the job, one can always go with air bags, although, at that point, I;d be stressing about the axle not being able to handle the load.
The Axle is teh weak point in all of this.

I've used bags over the last 40 years, gt a set in my wife's explorer right now.
Even had them in trucks, but only after the springs were upgraded.

This Ends my Peach.
Carry on

Users who are viewing this thread