5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing the new camper

mysticbus

Reaction score
I was in this thread towards the beginning. I believe we have the exact same truck and same trim and everything. I also had a lifted Sol Horizon and I recently sold it and bought a bigger camper. I went with an Ember 201GBQ because of the suspension, I believe it is around 5400lbs, which is right in the ballpark of the Tera Oasis.

I have the KO2's on my truck, stock size. I also have a 2" eibach spings and shocks up front, and 1" eibach springs and shocks in the rear. I sag a little when hooked up, but my rig handes perfect. No bouncing, squirrelliness or anything. It just goes straight down the road at highway speed. So maybe the tires are your issue. I never towed on my stock tires, I put the KO2's on in the first week I owned it.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.JPEG
    IMG_0445.JPEG
    215.4 KB · Views: 34

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was in this thread towards the beginning. I believe we have the exact same truck and same trim and everything. I also had a lifted Sol Horizon and I recently sold it and bought a bigger camper. I went with an Ember 201GBQ because of the suspension, I believe it is around 5400lbs, which is right in the ballpark of the Tera Oasis.

I have the KO2's on my truck, stock size. I also have a 2" eibach spings and shocks up front, and 1" eibach springs and shocks in the rear. I sag a little when hooked up, but my rig handes perfect. No bouncing, squirrelliness or anything. It just goes straight down the road at highway speed. So maybe the tires are your issue. I never towed on my stock tires, I put the KO2's on in the first week I owned it.
How's the road noise with and without the trailer on those KO2s? Would be great if tires and bags did the trick. We might still move up to a 3500 when there is another update, but I love my truck and would rather keep it while I can.

Would also love to hear your thoughts on the Ember. That's one that we were looking at when they were first released.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics first, then the "boring" part:

Picking it up:
View attachment 118363

First stay (******* Barrel in Alabama):
View attachment 118364

Truck specs in signature
Payload: 1481
Towing capacity: 11381

2022 inTech Sol Horizon
- Rover Package
- Outdoor kitchen and fridge
- Power awning and tongue jack
- Double LP
Shipping weight: 3372
Tongue weight: 524
GVWR: 4000
OAL: 19'

Pulled it from Kentucky down to Florida. About 650 miles almost entirely on I-65.

Kept tow/haul on and set gear limit to 7th. Stayed in 7th most of the time, but occasionally would drop to 6th or rarely 5th when going up an incline.

Speed was nearly always 65 and occasionally up to 75 when passing. RPM stayed right around 2200 and trans temp was about 195 max.

Towed great, as expected with this truck and trailer combo. Zero sway, barely noticed the wind or passing rigs, and always felt like I had plenty of power.

Trailer brake controller gain was set to 4.5 and worked great. I used the auto option for trailer blind spot merge at first and it calculated a 20' trailer, so right on. I did eventually switch it over to max for a buffer and liked it there. Having the trailer TPMS sensors installed tomorrow, so will get to see that on our next trip, which starts Saturday.

Road noise was almost non-existent and cruise control did its job with minimal hunting. The truck's computer said I averaged 10.2 MPG with the trailer. I did notice battery voltage drop to 13.0v when the trailer was plugged in.

I got to play around with the TRSC system a bit more and I actually like it. It's not a replacement for experience backing up a trailer, but I see its value for my wife and for smaller/shorter trailers that are harder to see.

Was thinking about installing rear bags and a WDH, but I'm going to wait until our trip out west later this year to decide. Right now, I don't think I need either.

I do want to figure out a solution to getting a trailer camera displayed on my UConnect screen, and we're probably going to do a Battleborn/solar setup. Also will be setting something up for mobile internet so I can work from the road.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this entire rig.

Nice set up!....Thought you might know or maybe not? When you open side window just a bit on the camper it will help very much with sway and nearly stop the WIND PUSH when larger vehicles pass you on the freeways. :)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice set up!....Thought you might know or maybe not? When you open side window just a bit on the camper it will help very much with sway and nearly stop the WIND PUSH when larger vehicles pass you on the freeways. :)
Appreciate it!

Definitely don't want to leave the windows open with all the dust around here.

20220920_152141.jpg
20220920_152214~2.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boise.

20221002_130426.jpg

Harvest Host stay at a winery in Glenns Ferry.

20221008_163027.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, today was a "fun" day. Hit the scales again after some adjustments. Still over on the truck, so going to go through the cargo in the bed and think if there's anything we're not using. Probably going to have to move the generator to the trailer, too. We're closer to 11% tongue weight now.

Truck feels OK at around 60 mph, or a little faster if the road is nice and weather is cooperating. Today, driving through Idaho we were in 25+ mph winds. That was the "fun" part. We talked a lot on the drive about upgrading to a 3500. :LOL:

I have an appointment to get the Cooper E rated ATs installed next week, but I'm thinking hard about sending Mark Dodge an email about a 2023 3500 build.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, today was a "fun" day. Hit the scales again after some adjustments. Still over on the truck, so going to go through the cargo in the bed and think if there's anything we're not using. Probably going to have to move the generator to the trailer, too. We're closer to 11% tongue weight now.

Truck feels OK at around 60 mph, or a little faster if the road is nice and weather is cooperating. Today, driving through Idaho we were in 25+ mph winds. That was the "fun" part. We talked a lot on the drive about upgrading to a 3500. :LOL:

I have an appointment to get the Cooper E rated ATs installed next week, but I'm thinking hard about sending Mark Dodge an email about a 2023 3500 build.
Oh wow that’s a pretty light tongue weight! How far over on the truck are you? Definitely would be a huge upgrade to the 3500 for the high winds but glad to see the 1500 is still holding its own. I’m assuming you’d want the Cummins motor in the 3500?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh wow that’s a pretty light tongue weight! How far over on the truck are you? Definitely would be a huge upgrade to the 3500 for the high winds but glad to see the 1500 is still holding its own. I’m assuming you’d want the Cummins motor in the 3500?
Yeah, the fresh water tank being behind the trailer axles on this one is giving me fits on getting the trailer balanced.

We're at 7220 on the truck, so 120 over. I'm thinking if we move our generator and extra batteries for the e bikes to the trailer, that will do it. Might also move some tools to the trailer.

Yep, 3500 would be a loaded Limited SRW 6'4" with the Cummins.

Screenshot_20221015-212744_Chrome.jpg

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the fresh water tank being behind the trailer axles on this one is giving me fits on getting the trailer balanced.

We're at 7220 on the truck, so 120 over. I'm thinking if we move our generator and extra batteries for the e bikes to the trailer, that will do it. Might also move some tools to the trailer.

Yep, 3500 would be a loaded Limited SRW 6'4" with the Cummins.

View attachment 141279
That’s not to bad, only 120 over I’m guessing you’re still under the axle ratings. Crazy how much money they get for those HD’s these days

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not to bad, only 120 over I’m guessing you’re still under the axle ratings. Crazy how much money they get for those HD’s these days
Yep.

Steer: 3420
Drive: 3800

The new tires will be installed Tuesday and will be towing again Saturday. Hoping that helps. Also ordered the Timber Grove bags to a friend's house. Won't be there until around Thanksgiving, though.

Hoping that helps. Would rather stay in the 1500.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep.

The new tires will be installed Tuesday and will be towing again Saturday. Hoping that helps. Also ordered the Timber Grove bags to a friend's house. Won't be there until around Thanksgiving, though.

Do you have any other tow mods? Didn’t see any in your signature but I’d highly recommend the hellwig rear sway bar, it will certainly help with the “fun” on those windy days ;)

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have any other tow mods? Didn’t see any in your signature but I’d highly recommend the hellwig rear sway bar, it will certainly help with the “fun” on those windy days ;)
Nope, no other mods.

I'll get that shipped out as well.

I see you have the Airlift bags. Have you towed with/without those at all? Wondering if you have anything thoughts on the difference.

should_have

Reaction score
Yep.

Previous you had your steer at 3560lbs
Yep.

Previous you stated you had your Steer at 3560, so you lost some weight off your front end. Crank down on the nut unless your Travel Trailer is getting tongue higher than level which Honestly can only be measured at the scale vs a flat road. Honestly I don't think you will ever get over the Windy Days in your set-up with the Andersen WDH. I have lighter and shorter TT, 2020 Flagstaff 21DS and I feel the Tail wagging the Dog on Windy Days. I can drive 65 mph comfortably but on long trips with wind I feel like the boat is still moving when I'm finished driving for the day. I believe another member tried 3 different hitches, Andersen, Equalizer and finished with the Pro-Pride Hitch, rating was the same as I listed. As you know I have the Air Bags but I still have original China Bombs on my trailer along with original Tires on my Ram1500. But I am not maxed out on truck or trailer.

Sometimes I wish I had a bigger truck but the wife doesn't mind the ride!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Previous you had your steer at 3560lbs

Previous you stated you had your Steer at 3560, so you lost some weight off your front end. Crank down on the nut unless your Travel Trailer is getting tongue higher than level which Honestly can only be measured at the scale vs a flat road. Honestly I don't think you will ever get over the Windy Days in your set-up with the Andersen WDH. I have lighter and shorter TT, 2020 Flagstaff 21DS and I feel the Tail wagging the Dog on Windy Days. I can drive 65 mph comfortably but on long trips with wind I feel like the boat is still moving when I'm finished driving for the day. I believe another member tried 3 different hitches, Andersen, Equalizer and finished with the Pro-Pride Hitch, rating was the same as I listed. As you know I have the Air Bags but I still have original China Bombs on my trailer along with original Tires on my Ram1500. But I am not maxed out on truck or trailer.

Sometimes I wish I had a bigger truck but the wife doesn't mind the ride!
Yeah, we're at 780 9n the tongue and 7280 for the trailer now. Also tightened the hitch up to 11 threads.

Going to try tires, air bags, and the Hellwig. Also going to keep working on getting cargo balanced and the WDH dialed in. If that doesn't make me comfortable, it'll be time to order a 3500. Just wish we could get a 5th gen cab for it.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, no other mods.

I'll get that shipped out as well.

I see you have the Airlift bags. Have you towed with/without those at all? Wondering if you have anything thoughts on the difference.
I have a bit of towing experience with and without the airlifts but no campers unfortunately. The bags do help a little with towing confidence and give the rear end a more firm feeling, but the major reason I got them was to prevent “Carolina squat” under load with the 2” rear drop springs. There’s this balance with air bags as removing the truck squat raises the amount weight being put on the rear axle as it lifts the truck/trailer.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
give the rear end a more firm feeling
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Thought about trying the Timbren SES, but I like the idea of being able to inflate the air bags to make the WDH easier to install.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Thought about trying the Timbren SES, but I like the idea of being able to inflate the air bags to make the WDH easier to install.
Yeah if I had to do it again I would have just done the Timber Grove 2” level air bags, I prefer their design to the airlifts, just a lot more expensive 🤣

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah if I had to do it again I would have just done the Timber Grove 2” level air bags, I prefer their design to the airlifts, just a lot more expensive 🤣
Yeah. Cheaper than the 3500 I configured though. :LOL:

cleigh

Reaction score
Yeah. Cheaper than the 3500 I configured though. :LOL:

Why the jump to a 3500 instead of 2500? Just out of curiosity.

Also, that's interesting the fresh water is behind the axle! My black/gray tanks are back there, but fresh is waaaay up front (granted, my trailer is only 22 ft long, lol).

Users who are viewing this thread