5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirrors, power folding option?

donsteph

Reaction score
I just bought new mirrors and got rid of my tow mirrors. Everything works except for power folding ( need new switch and door modules + programming). It will happen just need to order those other parts now. Love these new mirrors!!!

Attachments

• 20181125_174258.jpg
    20181125_174258.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

Devils Voice

Reaction score
Hey All, so not sure if someone already posted this, my apologies if so, but I’m having the same frustration with my 19 Laramie 1500. Anyway, I found a company that is going to make a complete kit for the 19 model year, but will be a few months. They’re current kit is offered for 15-18 and it ain’t cheap!! $1,400......don’t know anything about the company or quality, but it may be worth looking into down the road?
Thanks
Want the 360 camera too!

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folks your opinions on the tow mirrors have me wondering... are they significantly better for towing or are the stock mirrors good enough? I have not actually used them yet.

I like the idea of power folding for parking, but I also appreciate seeing aft around my 27’ travel trailer. I detest the look of the bolt on tow mirrors I am currently using, and love the stock look of the Ram rotating design.

Perfect (power folding tow mirrors) is not currently an option, so I prioritized towing vision over folding convenience. Many of you differ in this opinion so I’m wondering what your reasons are. Care to share? Thanks!

The manual fold tows are by far better than the power folds for seeing well behind and beside a travel trailer or box trailer with no comparison and very nice in appearance. But If I had to fold my mirrors in to get in garage each time i would buy clip ons for towing or set up a soft "Push In" system on my garage door frames to fold as i go in each time. Like you Sir i detest clip on mirrors for towing my campers! :)

cowboyrob56

Reaction score
I just bought new mirrors and got rid of my tow mirrors. Everything works except for power folding ( need new switch and door modules + programming). It will happen just need to order those other parts now. Love these new mirrors!!!

can you please post the site you ordered the new mirrors? part numbers? thanks

Dalekoven

Reaction score
Im not so upset about the power folding option as I am that the mirror is not heated! I live in Michigan . Scraping mirrors in the morning on my 52,000.00 truck is not only a pain, it's downright embarrassing. I haven't had to scrape my truck mirrors in over 20 yrs. Now I supposedly have the most technology advanced truck on the market and I'm scraping mirrors! Smh

WRH

Reaction score
The manual fold tows are by far better than the power folds for seeing well behind and beside a travel trailer or box trailer with no comparison and very nice in appearance. But If I had to fold my mirrors in to get in garage each time i would buy clip ons for towing or set up a soft "Push In" system on my garage door frames to fold as i go in each time. Like you Sir i detest clip on mirrors for towing my campers! :)

I had thought about a push in system but haven't found anyone that makes one. Is there a product on the market for that already?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not so upset about the power folding option as I am that the mirror is not heated! I live in Michigan . Scraping mirrors in the morning on my 52,000.00 truck is not only a pain, it's downright embarrassing. I haven't had to scrape my truck mirrors in over 20 yrs. Now I supposedly have the most technology advanced truck on the market and I'm scraping mirrors! Smh

The manual folds are heated on mine....Never knew Ram had any that was not. That would be a pain I agree.

WRH

Reaction score
Not to throw gas on an old fire... but I'm still pissed about this and just was looking over the features my truck should have according to my VIN... and right there it says "Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors." Ugh.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to throw gas on an old fire... but I'm still pissed about this and just was looking over the features my truck should have according to my VIN... and right there it says "Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors." Ugh.
Not to argue...but doesnt say folding...power means adjustment...and did you try the feature during test drive. Just asking...be sure to test the options you want...test drive a new vehicle just like you would a used vehicle.

A few people found the power folding mirrors did not work properly on test drive.

They put the wrong seats in some of these trucks. They forgot to properly install plugs. Heck, try your windows to make sure they all work.

This mirror debacle is terrible. There is no explanation for why these were so awkwardly applied.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I love the ingenuity of our members.

I like the tow mirrors. The 4th/5th Gen ones are so much better than the 3rd Gen ones.

I think even without powerfold, the benefits outweigh the inconvenience if you are towing.

Now the no heat on Tradesman/Bighorn/lonestar/Rebel...makes absolutely no sense.

Hope the garage goes well and brings the smile back.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I was at dealer 3 weeks ago I knew about this from being on this forum the salesman didn't know about this or know his a#& from a hole in the ground -- a typical know nothing person who can't get a real job

PTRAM

Reaction score
I think most states have a right to a 30 day contract retraction “thing” where you can back out of something if you weren’t given the proper notice or information about your item that you purchased. If you’re not satisfied I would definitely go to your dealer and have a tough conversation with them.

Ask for the general manager and tell him how much you enjoy the truck, BUT that you were not made aware of non-power fold and the lack of surround view (not sure if surround view applies to big horn).

Tell him you want to reorder and want to work something out with him. The deal is only a week old, but I wouldn’t wait any longer. They will probably understand more than you think, and try to work something out with you. I’m really sorry about this!

Oh, I am sure they would if your willing to pay a few thousand for the mirrors. I had to replace my original tires (Nexen) withh Michelin Defenders LTX and my dealer did pay part of it, but I am still out 600 dollars waiting for FCA to send me a check. (oh, they have not responded to my case since I sent it in--so just dreaming about that 600 dollars)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I am sure they would if your willing to pay a few thousand for the mirrors. I had to replace my original tires (Nexen) withh Michelin Defenders LTX and my dealer did pay part of it, but I am still out 600 dollars waiting for FCA to send me a check. (oh, they have not responded to my case since I sent it in--so just dreaming about that 600 dollars)

Just trying to figure out what tires has to do with power fold mirrors?? What did I miss?

Jonwoods81

Reaction score
Same boat here but obviously my own fault for not reading every little detail. I ordered a 19 Limited with Tow package not knowing initially that it removed power folding, 360 camera etc. What a PITA... $70k truck and I lost so much because of the tow package.... Just stupid.

barr0208

Reaction score
Same boat here but obviously my own fault for not reading every little detail. I ordered a 19 Limited with Tow package not knowing initially that it removed power folding, 360 camera etc. What a PITA... $70k truck and I lost so much because of the tow package.... Just stupid.
and the sad part is they didn't have to remove the 360 system all they had to do is install the 2019 hd tow mirrors and everything would have been plug a play including power folding and heat and memory and dimming on the drivers side.

LouCap

Reaction score
and the sad part is they didn't have to remove the 360 system all they had to do is install the 2019 hd tow mirrors and everything would have been plug a play including power folding and heat and memory and dimming on the drivers side.

I don't understand why they didn't just use the HD mirrors. When I got my Limited in June the dealer's inventory was pretty slim, so when I saw a truck with the exterior and interior colors I wanted for 30% off, I had to do it. But, I had NO idea about the tow package deleting the 360 cameras and neither did my salesman. My previous truck was a Nissan Titan XD WITH 360 surround cameras, so they're something I really miss, but being a smaller truck I can live without them...but I feel like I paid for them anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread