5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Mirrors, power folding option?

WRH

Reaction score
The tow mirrors that came on my Bighorn are manual fold... beyond frustrating as I have to fold them every time I pull in my garage. Since my trailer is narrow, I'd have rather had the powered folding mirrors that were not an upgrade. I didn't realize on the window sticker those were superseded by the manual tow mirrors.

What options have others seen to either convert these to power folding, or replace them with something that is?

One thought I had, perhaps some soft rollers attached to the garage that manually fold them for me every time I pulled in to the garage...

Thanks,
Warren

Kramersp

Reaction score
Dont know of any bro. That sucks. No idea why FCA has been using the same ugly tow mirrors for now 3 generations. Suprised they didnt look at Ford's power fold and telescoping mirrors and make something similar.

YardSale

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Bro.......I was lucky (thanks to this forum!) and found out about the Tow Package not having power folding mirrors and not having the 360 view camera system. I had to cancel my original order and reorder without the TP. You may want to consider taking it back and discussing with your dealer as FCA are the ones that "screwed the pooch" on this one. Even dealers weren't aware that adding the tow package meant dropping both those features and there weren't any warnings about it on the website "build your own..." And you can just add the brake controller by itself although the price difference is like $5.00.........crazy......

WRH

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Bro.......I was lucky (thanks to this forum!) and found out about the Tow Package not having power folding mirrors and not having the 360 view camera system. I had to cancel my original order and reorder without the TP. You may want to consider taking it back and discussing with your dealer as FCA are the ones that "screwed the pooch" on this one. Even dealers weren't aware that adding the tow package meant dropping both those features and there weren't any warnings about it on the website "build your own..." And you can just add the brake controller by itself although the price difference is like $5.00.........crazy......

Ouch.

So I had the 360 camera and adding a tow package removed it...along with power folding mirrors? That bites.

What do you mean take it back.. it's a week old. Nothing I can do now, or is there?

glennf14

Reaction score
Ouch.

So I had the 360 camera and adding a tow package removed it...along with power folding mirrors? That bites.

What do you mean take it back.. it's a week old. Nothing I can do now, or is there?
I think most states have a right to a 30 day contract retraction “thing” where you can back out of something if you weren’t given the proper notice or information about your item that you purchased. If you’re not satisfied I would definitely go to your dealer and have a tough conversation with them.

Ask for the general manager and tell him how much you enjoy the truck, BUT that you were not made aware of non-power fold and the lack of surround view (not sure if surround view applies to big horn).

Tell him you want to reorder and want to work something out with him. The deal is only a week old, but I wouldn’t wait any longer. They will probably understand more than you think, and try to work something out with you. I’m really sorry about this!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Dido, I reordered as well.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Yep feel your pain, I had to buy out of state to get what I wanted because almost all the trucks had the tow mirrors, heck the sales people did not even know about them not being power.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think most states have a right to a 30 day contract retraction “thing” where you can back out of something if you weren’t given the proper notice or information about your item that you purchased. If you’re not satisfied I would definitely go to your dealer and have a tough conversation with them.

Ask for the general manager and tell him how much you enjoy the truck, BUT that you were not made aware of non-power fold and the lack of surround view (not sure if surround view applies to big horn).

Tell him you want to reorder and want to work something out with him. The deal is only a week old, but I wouldn’t wait any longer. They will probably understand more than you think, and try to work something out with you. I’m really sorry about this!

Yes the tow mirror, surround view, power fold fiasco really stinks. A lot of victims on this one. I am not sure on the Big Horn trim, looks like you had to have the level 1 group to get the power fold mirrors? So if you did have this group on your truck and opted the tow mirrors then yes you did lose the power fold option. Did’nt know if you had this group to begin with?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep feel your pain, I had to buy out of state to get what I wanted because almost all the trucks had the tow mirrors, heck the sales people did not even know about them not being power.

Exactly, sales had no clue at the time most of us ordered. I bet most of them know now! This has also been remedied on the build site and on window stickers.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
6E5897C2-FB46-4999-B370-9B1B27627EFA.jpeg
I am not sure on the Big Horn trim, looks like you had to have the level 1 group to get the power fold mirrors? So if you did have this group on your truck and opted the tow mirrors then yes you did lose the power fold option.
Bighorn and Rebel require Level 1 or 2 (or Sport Appearance) for power folding, standard is above... so yes if you added Tow Mirrors on top of those you lose power folding.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Folks your opinions on the tow mirrors have me wondering... are they significantly better for towing or are the stock mirrors good enough? I have not actually used them yet.

I like the idea of power folding for parking, but I also appreciate seeing aft around my 27’ travel trailer. I detest the look of the bolt on tow mirrors I am currently using, and love the stock look of the Ram rotating design.

Perfect (power folding tow mirrors) is not currently an option, so I prioritized towing vision over folding convenience. Many of you differ in this opinion so I’m wondering what your reasons are. Care to share? Thanks!

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Goodness mirrors for the kind of coin they ask they should all be power, I know we will all agree on that....

WRH

Reaction score
My trailer is narrow so I didn't need them. A wider trailer, however, they'd be awesome. They are nice, even for normal driving. You see a ton of the road behind. But for the power folding option, I would have passed for my needs.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I hope you can work something out if you choose to. A few years ago a neighbor of mine had a somewhat similar situation. He bought a Dodge minivan. I believe it was an SXT Caravan. He thought it had reading lights in the back ( his kids like to read when traveling) and there was one more smaller accessory it didn’t have that he thought it would, can’t remember what it was. He traded a much older van that had these options and I think he was assuming the new one would have them also. Not sure how well he looked into it, anyway, he took it back a couple days later wanting to switch it for a van that had these options. The dealer said they couldn’t. Since the paperwork was already done and he drove it off the lot it was considered a used vehicle and he would take around a 40-50% hit off msrp if he wanted to trade it back in. Now I know a minivan would be a greater trade in hit that soon than what a pickup would. I hope maybe the tow mirror fiasco would maybe be a little different since it is well known the info on this is/was very sketchy and that is not the consumer’s fault. Best of luck!

WRH

Reaction score
I'll see what can be done. I wonder if they could just swap out the mirrors and restore the camera option. I'm guessing everything else is still in place... but I know that's a long shot. I'd be shocked if they do anything at all, but it's worth a try.

glennf14

Reaction score

After doing some research, looks like I’m wrong. In most states it’s competely up to the dealer on how to handle these things. But like others have said, since it’s such a well known blunder on the part of FCA, hopefully they will do something to help you out.

WRH

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks. it's worth a try!

D

Deleted member 85

Don't forget - us salespeople don't have some secret inside track to FCA's internal thoughts. We too were blind-sided by the lack of communication on the 360 Camera. I called out the tow-mirror 1500s not having power fold before launch... way back @redriderbob and I discussed it, as I was disappointed that the largest mirror, the one where power folding is most valuable, was not available on the 1500.

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed getting the level 1 equipment group on limited trim now requires the tow group and dreaded mirrors/360 camera delete? What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread