5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow Hook Installation

KAP705

Reaction score
Hi All-

I just attempted an OEM tow hook installation on my 2020, and the long body mount bolt that is existing on the truck would not come out; to the point where the head began to start to round off. I left it alone but any suggestions/experience with this issue?

Thanks,
Ken

79 300

Reaction score
I sprayed those bolts with WD40 a few days before, and then used a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and it still didn't budge. I got my 6'-4" 240 lb son to help and he struggled with it, but finally they came out. We did have the truck up on ramps for more working room.
There is a thin retaining washer that has to be forced out as well. There are videos on u-tube showing this.

KAP705

Reaction score
Yeah I'm about the same size as your son -- I got on it with a 1/2" breaker, and the bar started to turn but the bolt didn't! Lol. I'll try the WD40 or some penetrating oil, I just dont wanna trash the bolt above all else. Thanks for the reply.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I was able to get mine loose relatively easy but getting the positioning washer off wasn’t working for me... I cheated and used an impact to spin the bolt faster and get them to come out... they works really well lol

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I took channel locks and clamped just above the bold head clamped loosely on thread. Took a rubber mallet and hit on the channel locks two three times and dropped right out.

KAP705

Reaction score
I took channel locks and clamped just above the bold head clamped loosely on thread. Took a rubber mallet and hit on the channel locks two three times and dropped right out.
Yeah I didn't even get to that point yet. Literally not even 5 min into the install had to stop b/c of this. The bolt head began to round itself out. 6pt 18mm socket. Might try to heat it up or penetrating oil, and/or save it for the warmer months. I just cant believe the bolt would be that soft to start rounding.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I was getting nervous reading this thread since I have a pair of tow hooks to put on. So I went out into the garage this morning and decided to see what my experience would be. Figured I would share for those thinking of doing this mod yet.

So yes, it did take a considerable amount of force to move the existing bolt. So glad I did my workout this morning and ate a bowl of oatmeal before. After unthreding it and banging the s out of it to get the clip to release, I think I found the reason why it was so hard to move the bolt. There was a bit of blue thread locker on the threads of the bolt:
5B86A490-903C-469A-B8A8-ED582F2691A4.jpeg

I have threadlocker orange and was thinking of putting that on after reinstalling, but I think blue would be plenty since I had a challenge getting it out in the first place.

Also, I thought I would share a little trick for getting the longer bolt in and out of where it needs to go. With one hand, hold the electronic air dam and flex it out of the way and then guide the bolt in or out. It worked like a charm for me and had no issues pulling it loose or putting it back.

Next up, once I get my tow hooks painted the hard work is over. Just got to pull the bolts and reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread