5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
After reading the description of your truck and its options, I see that you and I have just about exactly the same truck except for the color. I would have preferred the Granite Crystal but I could only get the Diamond Black Crystal.

View attachment 82380

So, if your brackets fit, I'm certain that mine will. (y)
They had two identical truck...one in Granite Crystal and the other Diamond Black. It was a really tough call as both are awesome looking, but I went with my original desire and that was to be TOTALLY BLACK!

HAL9001

Reaction score
They had two identical truck...one in Granite Crystal and the other Diamond Black. It was a really tough call as both are awesome looking, but I went with my original desire and that was to be TOTALLY BLACK!
Oh, then we both have virtually the same truck, I thought your description said Granite Crystal, my mistake. We even have the same radar detector and mount. I just ordered the Retrax Pro for it, thus the need for brackets.

I thought both colors looked awesome too, it's just that black is harder to keep clean. It's worth it though, it's a major head-turner. Sometimes I just go into the garage and stare at it, lol. One of the best looking trucks I've ever seen and not that many around with the Limited Night Edition.

1612989536977.png

BeachBum

Reaction score
Yes it was actually the best fitting out of all of them. You need to use the recessed bolts as I’ve linked in previous threads and snip about 12” of weather stripping from the rails. Other than that nothing else.
I believe I read that the recessed bolts were only used on the sides of the bed and not across the back at the cab. Why not there as well? This is for the Undercover Ultra-Flex that I am considering. Thanks

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe I read that the recessed bolts were only used on the sides of the bed and not across the back at the cab. Why not there as well? This is for the Undercover Ultra-Flex that I am considering. Thanks
Sure, since there is no rail on the bulkhead it is not needed, you need to recess them on the rail (side) since they are right up against it. If you go back to review my pictures, it should show why it’s not needed on the cab side.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Good morning,

We just got the OEM bracket for the 2021 RAM in our shop. The 2021 RAM with the MFT has a different hole alignment on the OEM brackets vs. the 2020 model. We are working on a new design that will hopefully completed next week.

-Pete

cmarrero30

Reaction score
Good morning,

We just got the OEM bracket for the 2021 RAM in our shop. The 2021 RAM with the MFT has a different hole alignment on the OEM brackets vs. the 2020 model. We are working on a new design that will hopefully completed next week.

-Pete
i just ordered a bracket yesterday....i have a 2021, anything we need to do? refuse delivery?

rightonbracket

Reaction score
The hole alignment is slightly different....but some people got it to work with the 2021. So you have two options:

- Refuse the delivery and we'll ship out our new model when the new model is completed.

- Try the brackets we sent you. If they don't work, send them back and we'll get our new model out when they're completed.

Shoot me an Email and we'll discuss.

-Pete

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good morning,

-Pete
Can you please post a pic of the 2020 and 2021 brackets and show where the differences are?

ACrooks70

Reaction score
So I'm still not clear with what is keeping the Bakflip MX4 working with the ROB. Is it that the ROB bracket is too thick and it slides the rail down to far and hits the tailgate? I looked at my MX4 on my '16 and it doesn't appear to drop below the inner lip of the box rail. I don't have my '21 yet and I know it's not apples apples, but I went through what I though were all the BamFlip Tri fold comments and maybe I missed it. I'd like to get all my stuff ordered up here pretty quick so its here when the truck arrives.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm still not clear with what is keeping the Bakflip MX4 working with the ROB. Is it that the ROB bracket is too thick and it slides the rail down to far and hits the tailgate? I looked at my MX4 on my '16 and it doesn't appear to drop below the inner lip of the box rail. I don't have my '21 yet and I know it's not apples apples, but I went through what I though were all the BamFlip Tri fold comments and maybe I missed it. I'd like to get all my stuff ordered up here pretty quick so its here when the truck arrives.
So the right on brackets go into the (width) of the bed by about 3/8” either side. The Mx4 does not comfortably fit between the added width of the brackets.
I can verify the undercover ultra fits with slight modification to the weather stripping, but the mx4 was a bit too wide once the rails were placed over the brackets.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
So the right on brackets go into the (width) of the bed by about 3/8” either side. The Mx4 does not comfortably fit between the added width of the brackets.
I can verify the undercover ultra fits with slight modification to the weather stripping, but the mx4 was a bit too wide once the rails were placed over the brackets.
Thank you for the update on the Mx4. I was really hoping for this to work as this is the cover I prefer. Hoping BAK gets their act together and realize there is a market for the flush mount rollup with a RAM with MFT. What is the overall opinion for the best flush cover for a 2021 Ram with MFT? Personally, not a fan of covers that sit above the deck that 1/2 to inch above.

ACrooks70

Reaction score
So if the bracket was a little shorter in height the mx4 rail would fit?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if the bracket was a little shorter in height the mx4 rail would fit?
No, it just makes the bed opening too narrow for the MX4 to fit width wise. You’d need slimmer brackets, or to notch out the actual cover.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Yes I will post a comparison photo when we're done. The holes are just slightly different.
I just installed a set of the current Right-On brackets on my 2021 1500 Limited and they fit perfectly. No complaints whatsoever.

The part number of the OEM brackets is 68414475AC. This is the exact same part number for model years 2019-2021 so I don't see why there would be any difference in the locations of the holes.

Note the part number and model year in each description below from www.moparpartsarchbold.com/oem-parts/mopar-box-side-brace-68414475ac:

1613968103973.png
1613968168525.png
1613968228755.png

The existing OEM brackets are definitely not plastic as some may think, they are cast aluminum. RAM put some significant effort into designing and manufacturing these brackets. They are extremely heavy-duty and were designed to withstand very, very heavy loads. They're massive at 2 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 10 1/2" on each end. I just don't see the need for such an extreme bracket unless perhaps if someone drove the truck with the MFT tailgate opened sideways for long distances. Even then, unless I'm missing something, the OEM brackets appear to be significant overkill.

While the Right-On brackets are very well-made and are solid steel compared to cast aluminum, they are probably not as strong overall as the OEM brackets primarily due to the cross brace which looks like it could withstand thousands of pounds and could not bend inwards or outwards because of the cross brace. That said, the Right-On brackets, even without a cross brace, look to be more than strong enough to easily support the extra weight of the MFT tailgate when opened sideways.

The need for such a massive OEM bracket is a mystery to me. It would take a structural engineer to explain it.

Last edited:

rightonbracket

Reaction score
The 2021 bracket is complete. On our website, you have the option to now pick the 2020 or 2021 variation. Here is a link:

Looking forward to hearing the feedback!

-Pete

Users who are viewing this thread