5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RJS - Thank you so much - this is such a relief - I will be getting my truck soon - and I am pretty set on a Retrax Pro XR - where is a good place to get a good deal if you know or can recommend it.
RJS - Thank you so much - this is such a relief - I will be getting my truck soon - and I am pretty set on a Retrax Pro XR - where is a good place to get a good deal if you know or can recommend it.

I would find one on eBay that has a best offer option. Offer them 1200 and see what they come back at, that’s likely the lowest you’ll be able to get it for, unless a Black Friday deal pops up.

dandick

Reaction score
Many thanks Snicklefritz_76 for all the info, tips and pix! My 2020 Limited has the same bed features as yours and your info convinced my to order the Retrax Pro MX (P/N = 80244)
https://retrax.com/product-detail/80244

PS Your patriotic graphics are terrific!
I just picked up my 2020 Limited with MFT and RamBox yesterday. I want to order the Retrax ASAP. I’m trying to decide on the MX or MX Pro. It looks like the MX is made of polycarbonate and the Pro is aluminum.

I wanted to get your reviews on the durability and pros and cons of both before I order.

Thanks,
Dan

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2020 Limited with MFT and RamBox yesterday. I want to order the Retrax ASAP. I’m trying to decide on the MX or MX Pro. It looks like the MX is made of polycarbonate and the Pro is aluminum.

I wanted to get your reviews on the durability and pros and cons of both before I order.

Thanks,
Dan
I have the poly GatorTrax (clone of Retrax). I moved it from my '15 to '20 back in August. It's entering it's 6th winter and it still looks like new. I have no experience with and cant comment on the aluminum slats.

ramwb

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to fit the MX4 with having the metal brackets (replacement brackets by RightOnBrackets) with the brackets installed on top of the rails not under (it will not fit under).

JParsonss

Reaction score
I acquired brackets of 3/8" steel from Pete at rightonbrackets.com, drilled them to match the factory brackets, and installed a retrax pro mx cover. Fit like a glove. The new brackets appear stronger than the factory bolts that secure them and the steel part of the bed they are fastened to. Love this cover, BTW View attachment 39921 View attachment 39921
I also got these brackets and they are now also predrilled. Work fine and will not allow me to buy a rolling cover.

Dub

Reaction score
I have the poly GatorTrax (clone of Retrax). I moved it from my '15 to '20 back in August. It's entering it's 6th winter and it still looks like new. I have no experience with and cant comment on the aluminum slats.
I haven’t pulled the trigger on one for my ‘16 because a local installer told me it wouldn’t fit the 5th gen, but you had no trouble with that?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven’t pulled the trigger on one for my ‘16 because a local installer told me it wouldn’t fit the 5th gen, but you had no trouble with that?
You have to buy the Right on Brackets and install them with countersunk flat head screws. If I was going to do it again I would also swap out the round head Philips on the canister ends with flat head as well. It was tight but it fit.

IMG_20200824_180101786.jpg

Dub

Reaction score
You have to buy the Right on Brackets and install them with countersunk flat head screws. If I was going to do it again I would also swap out the round head Philips on the canister ends with flat head as well. It was tight but it fit.

View attachment 75080
Thanks for your help! Looks like the Right On Bracket would only be necessary with the MF tailgate, otherwise should be pretty straightforward. I was worried they totally changed the bed dimensions to where a Retrax/GatorTrax from the 4th gen wouldn’t fit the 5th gen.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! Looks like the Right On Bracket would only be necessary with the MF tailgate, otherwise should be pretty straightforward. I was worried they totally changed the bed dimensions to where a Retrax/GatorTrax from the 4th gen wouldn’t fit the 5th gen.
I do thnk that the bed is a little narrower and from pics here the Retraxx seemed to have a 1/4" more room than my Gatortrax

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score

the 4th gen bed is also maybe 1” shorter than 5th gen. I sold a 5th gen owner a 4th gen cover and there was about a .75” gap in total overall length.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the 4th gen bed is also maybe 1” shorter than 5th gen. I sold a 5th gen owner a 4th gen cover and there was about a .75” gap in total overall length.
I actually thought it was the other way around but in any case there was enough 4th Gen cover to get a watertight fit on my 5th gen with the Gatortrax.

RickWaz

Reaction score

Thanks,
Dan
I opted for the Pro (Aluminum) vs Poly for what I believed would be a more durable material. Below is the warranty info for both, and the Pro has a better warranty. Also note the Retrax has 15% off all products, until 12/02/20!

The RetraxPRO MX has a Legendary Lifetime Guarantee. This warranty is to the original owner and is non-transferable

The RetraxONE MX has a 1 year full warranty, then a limited lifetime warranty after the first year at a prorated price unless specified otherwise. This warranty is to the original owner and is non-transferable

mia389

Reaction score
I bought a longhorn last week and had the local truck acc store order me a retrax pro. He said they have been taking the brackets off but letting customers know. I didn’t like that idea and just ordered the right on brackets. Can’t wait to see the results.

I really like the Multi function tail gate. I thought it was a gimmick until I started using it. Love my truck but will also miss my rebel I traded in. That was a good truck.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a longhorn last week and had the local truck acc store order me a retrax pro. He said they have been taking the brackets off but letting customers know. I didn’t like that idea and just ordered the right on brackets. Can’t wait to see the results.

I really like the Multi function tail gate. I thought it was a gimmick until I started using it. Love my truck but will also miss my rebel I traded in. That was a good truck.

I think it would behoove you to put some flush-mounted bolts in the brackets. That will give you more room to fit the canister of the retrax so you don't have to jam it in there.

tedcoxcpa

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I purchased the Right-on brackets. A buddy of mine with a cutting torch had to touch up two holes to fit. I then purchased the recommended flush mount screws. Then purchasing the ultra Flex folding cover, I ended up having to remove the weather stripping completely on one side and for the bracket on the other. I put it on before Thanksgiving and then went to deer camp. It has gone through 2 automated car washes and a few rain storms. No more water in the bed than I have a had with other folding covers.

2020 Laramie with MFT no ram boxes.

Iconrider

Reaction score
Hi All, new Ram Rebel owner and new to the forum. Just picked up a 2020 Rebel with the MFT and read through most of this post. I was curious if anyone has tried the Peragon cover and what you thought of it? It seems like a nice cross between a standard trifold hard cover and a retractable cover. I really like the RetraxOne MX but not sold on losing the bed space just yet.

ramwb

Reaction score
I am taking the mx4 back to the store today. I will be ordering the undercover armor. I can see how the mounting of this cover will work vs the Bak mx4. It was so close. If someone was willing to drill a new hole in one side of the bracket it would work. About 1/4 inch off is all. It was dark and I was very frustrated so I didn't take any pics.
I am looking at buying the Bak MX4 can you elaborate a bit more on why it didnt fit - i bought the righton brackets

ramwb

Reaction score
Can someone point me to the flush mount screws mentioned in this post - i am trying to figure out a cover for my truck and it is way more tedious than i thought.

Users who are viewing this thread