5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Mandtz

Reaction score
Hi- 3 questions on your Retrax MX Pro: 1) Do you still love it? 2) How water tight is it? 3) Can you close the MFT (either way) with the cover in the closed position? Thanks in advance!!! (I have a black limited 2020 just like yours!)
Sorry took me so long to answer the question. I haven’t been on the form for a while but, yes, I love the cover it fits perfectly. I can open the MFT either way with the cover in the closed position. It’s perfectly watertight. I live in Seattle and it’s never gotten a drop of moisture in it unless I put that in myself. It was a little bit of a hassle because I was the first one doing it and I had to drill my own holes. I just sent off an email to Pete at Right on brackets as I was curious how his business was going.

K9_Bullet

Reaction score
Recently installed a Retrax MX Pro using the Right On brackets. Could not have been easier to do. Everything lines up perfectly, no issues at all with the MFT. Opens, closes no problem. As far as being water tight. I live at the coast of NC and we just had the hurricane (ISIS or whatever it was called) come through and my truck was parked outside. Next day, perfectly dry. I can't recommend the Retrax cover combination with the Right On brackets enough!

RamGreg

Reaction score
Sorry about that. Here is a direct link to the Nilight TR-09 3PCS 60 Bed Light Strip:

It looks like the price went up since I bough them.

For weatherstripping I went with:

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal (front of bed between bed and canister, top of the tailgate)

ESI Front Rail Seal XL (large gaps at the top sides of the tailgate)

3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive (I needed this to keep the strip on the top of the tailgate in place - if you don't have a spray on bed liner you might not need it)

The areas where it may leak are pretty obvious, if you can see light through the sealed areas it will leak. With the bed completely dry I close my tonneau cover and hit it with my pressure washer. I've been adjusting and adding more weatherstripping as needed.
Been meaning to get to this thread for a while now...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

Now for the tonneau cover.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
View attachment 62241

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I placed the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
View attachment 62248

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
View attachment 62251

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
View attachment 62249

Bed using the bypass switch.
View attachment 62250

My wife and I just purchased her RAM 1500 with MFT and Rambox and am considering the Retrax One MX or the Retrax PRO MX. How did you decide on the One vs the PRO? Do you have any difficulty opening it? - some reviews seem to indicate they had problems with it binding - others said works fine. Some reviews indicate leaks.
But am not sure if they are referring to the unit (track of the cover) vs the usual problems with Rambox/MFT.

RamGreg

Reaction score
I thought I had sent this earlier - am new but here it goes again - My wife and I just bought a 2020 Longhorn with Ramboxes and MFT. Have been thinking about a Retrax One MX or the Pro MX. How did you decide on the One (polycarbonate) vs the Pro MX? Any comparison between the two that you learned or have experienced? I have read (not on the forums) people having difficulties - hard to open - not moving smoothly - needing more force than shown on the demos. What is your experience? How about leaking - not talking about the obvious around the tailgates and the front bed seal? Water that might get into the actual track of the cover - can it leak into the bed or does it go forward and drain out around the box mechanism? Much appreciate the effort you went into with the installation and write up with links for the seals that seem to work for you. Any info you can give me will be very welcome. The Ram wasn't even my idea - my wife's idea - but I like it and am trying to do the best for her in getting it pretty well sealed up.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased her RAM 1500 with MFT and Rambox and am considering the Retrax One MX or the Retrax PRO MX. How did you decide on the One vs the PRO? Do you have any difficulty opening it? - some reviews seem to indicate they had problems with it binding - others said works fine. Some reviews indicate leaks.
But am not sure if they are referring to the unit (track of the cover) vs the usual problems with Rambox/MFT.

I too was torn between the RETRAXPRO and the RETRAXONE. I ultimately decided to go with the RETRAXONE. https://retrax.com/product-detail/60244

For me it just came down to the extra cost of having a remote for the tonneau cover. I had a whole laundry list of upgrades I was planning so I decided to save some $$$ by buying the cheaper RETRAXONE. I ordered mine through Kyle @truckalterations.com for $1,115. I had just missed the Christmas sales when these were going for under 1K but I feel like I got the cover for a good price.

Installing the bed cover wasn't difficult but the directions were not the greatest. I had to adjust the clamps a bit before it sat square and flush. Once you have the frame and rails adjusted, removing the cover is pretty easy if you need to reclaim the space taken up by the canister.

I've never had an issues opening or closing the cover, it actually works really well. I would imaging if the rails were installed incorrectly the cover might not open/close easily but I have ever had an issue. There were leaks, but after using weather stripping and replacing the drain tubes it's no longer an issue. I haven't seen any leaks from the cover itself.

The RETRAXPRO comes with a remote, aluminum construction and holds twice the evenly distributed weight of the RETRAXONE. If that's worth the extra money then go for that one. I don't feel like I'm missing out, the RETRAXONE seems very secure and looks great. It opens, closes and locks very easily but for someone that might not be able to operate the cover due to injury then I can see the purpose for a remote. Even if I had the remote I don't think I would use it anyway, opening/closing manually is much faster.

If you would like any additional pictures or video, I would be happy to help.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
We had a few people reach out about the hole pattern on the bracket not fitting the truck perfectly. If you have a spray on bed liner, this added thickness will change the hole pattern slightly. Some bed liners are sprayed thin and others are thick, so there's no way for us to design a universal pattern. Our hole pattern is based off the true measurements of the truck bed without the bed liner.

If you receive our brackets are they don't fit perfectly, the solution is drill the holes a little bigger. Many customers have done this and has worked just fine. The bracket is 3/8" steel and this won't compromise the strength.

Here's a link to our website/bracket kit:

Overall, the feedback has been great. Glad we can help this issue!

-Pete

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a Gator Trax One MX from my 2015...I think that it very similar to the Retrax.

My concern with all of this is the engineering. I find it hard to believe that the 3/8" bracket is as ridged as the OEM bracket. Why did FCA make such a massive bracket with the corner brace? Have nay mechanical engineers looked into a strength comparison?

Make me feel better ;)

rightonbracket

Reaction score
So I have a Gator Trax One MX from my 2015...I think that it very similar to the Retrax.

My concern with all of this is the engineering. I find it hard to believe that the 3/8" bracket is as ridged as the OEM bracket. Why did FCA make such a massive bracket with the corner brace? Have nay mechanical engineers looked into a strength comparison?

Make me feel better ;)

We've had an engineer look into this. The bracket doesn't influence how the truck drives. If so, all trucks would have a bracket here.

This bracket is designed to support the tailgate swinging open. If there's weight pushing down on the tailgate when open, the opposite side of the truck bed needs to be supported. The 3/8" bracket has plenty of strength to do so.

I hope this helps and makes you feel better! We've sold hundreds of these kits so far and everyone seems to be happy!

-Pete

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've had an engineer look into this. The bracket doesn't influence how the truck drives. If so, all trucks would have a bracket here.

This bracket is designed to support the tailgate swinging open. If there's weight pushing down on the tailgate when open, the opposite side of the truck bed needs to be supported. The 3/8" bracket has plenty of strength to do so.

I hope this helps and makes you feel better! We've sold hundreds of these kits so far and everyone seems to be happy!

-Pete
Thanks, I ordered a set today.

Debbie

Reaction score
I’m taking my truck back to the dealer who thought taking the factory brackets off in order To install my under cover tonneau was ok!! I’ve purchased the right on brackets. I’m getting them to Install them. I don’t know if they’ll have to take the cover off first. I hope it all comes out ok. What do you think?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m taking my truck back to the dealer who thought taking the factory brackets off in order To install my under cover tonneau was ok!! I’ve purchased the right on brackets. I’m getting them to Install them. I don’t know if they’ll have to take the cover off first. I hope it all comes out ok. What do you think?
Debbie, it really depends on whether or not *any* bracket interferes with the Under Cover.

Skater

Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone use that tonneau cover yet. I would ask "why" their cover doesn't work with this truck. If the issue is the stock brackets not allowing the bed rails to be flush, our brackets should be the solution. This tonneau cover looks very similar to many others, so I don't see why it wouldn't work! Let us know what you hear!
I ordered your brackets a few days ago. They will get here before the WeatherTech Alloy tonneau does. I expect the tonneau to arrive late next week. I spoke with WeatherTech and was told the brackets in a MFT bed without Ramboxes in the bulkhead prevent the tonneau from being secured to the rails. I told them I wanted the tonneau anyway and I would make it work. They were reluctant to sell it to me. I will post pictures of it when I get it installed. I suspect your brackets will be the solution.

ermizo

Reaction score
I ordered your brackets a few days ago. They will get here before the WeatherTech Alloy tonneau does. I expect the tonneau to arrive late next week. I spoke with WeatherTech and was told the brackets in a MFT bed without Ramboxes in the bulkhead prevent the tonneau from being secured to the rails. I told them I wanted the tonneau anyway and I would make it work. They were reluctant to sell it to me. I will post pictures of it when I get it installed. I suspect your brackets will be the solution.
I was curious about the weathertech cover so I took a look at the installation procedure and lineup on the bed rails vs the side rails of the cover. The rails should fit over the top of the bracket and still be flush with the top of the bedrails, but you may experience issues with the front of the cover due to the first clamp being farther back (behind the brackets) than the installation instructions require. I could see the front of the cover being loose and suspect to winds and water over time without proper clamping at the front of the truck bed. It should still fit, but it may not be as secure as weathertech would like, which is why they were so hesitant to sell you the tonneau. good luck.

Skater

Reaction score
I was curious about the weathertech cover so I took a look at the installation procedure and lineup on the bed rails vs the side rails of the cover. The rails should fit over the top of the bracket and still be flush with the top of the bedrails, but you may experience issues with the front of the cover due to the first clamp being farther back (behind the brackets) than the installation instructions require. I could see the front of the cover being loose and suspect to winds and water over time without proper clamping at the front of the truck bed. It should still fit, but it may not be as secure as weathertech would like, which is why they were so hesitant to sell you the tonneau. good luck.
Thanks for the information and research. It is very much appreciated. I am waiting on both the brackets and tonneau to be delivered. I expect the Right On Brackets to be delivered tomorrow and the tonneau sometime next week. As soon as I get the chance to put it all together, I will post pics here.

PaPa CdAh

Reaction score
I chatted with RealTruck CSR yesterday and here is what I was told. The following three models work with the Multi Function Tail Gate:
Hard Fold - Extang 2.0 Solid Fold
Soft Fold - Extang Trifecta 2.0 or Trifecta Signature 2.0
Roll - Truxedo TruXport

Hope this helps!

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
Just installed the Truxport on my truck with ram boxes and MFT. Fits great and no leaks after running through a car wash to test it out.

Granthol

Reaction score
I chatted with RealTruck CSR yesterday and here is what I was told. The following three models work with the Multi Function Tail Gate:
Hard Fold - Extang 2.0 Solid Fold
Soft Fold - Extang Trifecta 2.0 or Trifecta Signature 2.0
Roll - Truxedo TruXport

Hope this helps!
I just put the Extang 2.0 Solid on mine today. Function seems good. Definitely like the looks. 86EC01BF-250A-4F92-AB00-3951690054B1.jpeg 9DA68993-C85C-43D3-94AC-14FF80773DEC.jpeg

Granthol

Reaction score
No it went super easy. About 15 minutes from opening the box to being done. I did have to loosen it up and move it back, I installed it too far forward at first.

Users who are viewing this thread