5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have a truxedo Sentry with the brackets?
I want to get a soft roll up cover with the replacement brackets and have been eyeing that cover for a while

Same question here for the Tyger soft roll up?.. Anyone install with the aftermarket Brackets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huetatoes

Reaction score
Same question here for the Tyger soft roll up?.. Anyone install with the aftermarket Brackets?

I feel like I could just cut slots or holes into the rails for a normal rollup tonneau like rsgli did and just put the brackets back over it. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Factory covers with the MFT?.. How is RAM/FCA doing it?

Ramnewbie2020

Reaction score
New here and new to Ram. Thank you all for the very useful information. This is driving me crazy! Bought 2020 Ram Rebel with MFT and no Ram box of course having no idea this was an issue. Then I thought it was the tailgate itself until I read about the bracket obstruction in this thread . I want a low profile cover that will allow full usage of the bed when up. Really want BAK Flip mx4. If I change out the brackets will this cover mostly function? I understand there may still be a small gap where the new brackets will be; however any other known or possible issues?

STR

Reaction score
^^^ I’m going to say no to the MX4, which I wanted as well. You would have to either modified the rails or remove the brackets. Even the modified bracket will still interfere with the rails. I guess anything is possible, but it’s going to involve some work...

mowins69

Reaction score
Thank you all!!!!!!

I'll make this as quick as I can..........

After taking care of the ex and getting the kids out of the house, I decided it was finally time to take care of myself. One of my gifts to me at 50 was to drive a brand new car off the lot. I have always been a Volvo guy (XC90 and C70), but I knew the Ram was the one for me and I never looked at another truck. After months of searching I finally found the one that I wanted, and then a 90 minute flight and 600 mile drive back home, Simone(yes they all have names, don't judge) is where she belongs.

This where this site, especially the Members, rock. To help protect my investment I wanted to get the Tonneau Elite LX cover. Imagine my surprise to find out it wasn’t an option for a 1500 with the MFT. While doing some searching I came across this site and although I couldn't find where anyone no one had done the Elite with the MFT, there were plenty of opinions, suggestions and guides. With your help I was able to install the cover(with several modifications) and it looks AMAZING!!!!

I want to say thank you again to all that have posted responses and helped me and others make our Ram’s the best truck in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• Elite LX 1.jpg
    Elite LX 1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Elite LX 2.jpg
    Elite LX 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Elite LX.jpg
    Elite LX.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 220

Tjf2000

Reaction score
Thank you all!!!!!!

I'll make this as quick as I can..........

After taking care of the ex and getting the kids out of the house, I decided it was finally time to take care of myself. One of my gifts to me at 50 was to drive a brand new car off the lot. I have always been a Volvo guy (XC90 and C70), but I knew the Ram was the one for me and I never looked at another truck. After months of searching I finally found the one that I wanted, and then a 90 minute flight and 600 mile drive back home, Simone(yes they all have names, don't judge) is where she belongs.

This where this site, especially the Members, rock. To help protect my investment I wanted to get the Tonneau Elite LX cover. Imagine my surprise to find out it wasn’t an option for a 1500 with the MFT. While doing some searching I came across this site and although I couldn't find where anyone no one had done the Elite with the MFT, there were plenty of opinions, suggestions and guides. With your help I was able to install the cover(with several modifications) and it looks AMAZING!!!!

I want to say thank you again to all that have posted responses and helped me and others make our Ram’s the best truck in the neighborhood.

What changes did you make?

mowins69

Reaction score
I had a lot working against me, in addition to the MFT, I have a spray in liner and the plastic caps on top which add at least half an inch to the calculations when trying to figure out where to place the brackets for the cover. It is a tight fit but it will work.

1. get brackets from rightonbrackets.com
2. for the side walls, use M8x1.25 80mm from Home Depot instead of original truck bolts(see right on pic)
3. since the clamps for the cover don't fit, there is one spot you have to drill a hole in the Tonneau brackets and use a M6x1.0 50mm(see pic 1, 2, and 3) to hold the brackets down
4. use 1 clamp on the end of the bracket

I will add that I am not a professional and I have no idea what this is doing to the truck. But since I have not officially modified the bed, if i have a problem I can put the original braces back on and no one will be the wiser.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 261
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 255
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 257
  • right on.jpg
    right on.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 252

ermizo

Reaction score
So it took a minute to get the cover in from the manufacturer, but it has finally arrived and I finished the install today. I installed the righton brackets and used button-cap hex bolts to reduce the profile of the support bars (I forgot to take photos before I set the cover in, but tried to get a picture between the cover and the bed). I then installed the Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover along with Yakima Skyline crossbars. It looks so much better than the factory soft cover, and it was very easy to install (one step proved a challenge due to lack of a second pair of hands). I did notice that the drain lines weren't really cooperating by staying in the bed drain holes, but I had some double flanged rubber gaskets from a basic gasket kit that fit snug around the drain lines and fit nicely into the truck bed drain holes (see photo). Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped with ideas and righton brackets for the necessary materials. I am a happy RAM owner today!

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1533.JPG
    IMG_1533.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1535D.JPG
    IMG_1535D.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1541.png
    IMG_1541.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1539.png
    IMG_1539.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1542.png
    IMG_1542.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 260

TerryK67

Reaction score
So it took a minute to get the cover in from the manufacturer, but it has finally arrived and I finished the install today. I installed the righton brackets and used button-cap hex bolts to reduce the profile of the support bars (I forgot to take photos before I set the cover in, but tried to get a picture between the cover and the bed). I then installed the Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover along with Yakima Skyline crossbars. It looks so much better than the factory soft cover, and it was very easy to install (one step proved a challenge due to lack of a second pair of hands). I did notice that the drain lines weren't really cooperating by staying in the bed drain holes, but I had some double flanged rubber gaskets from a basic gasket kit that fit snug around the drain lines and fit nicely into the truck bed drain holes (see photo). Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped with ideas and righton brackets for the necessary materials. I am a happy RAM owner today!

Did you need the button cap bolts or would have the stock ones worked? I just ordered the brackets...

TerryK67

Reaction score
I just installed a Retrax XR Pro (same thing pretty much) with my MFT. I love it so far, and it seems to be mostly water tight. I wouldn't carry a bunch of water sensitive stuff in there, but the truck bed isn't the best case in any situation to carry stuff like that. Closing the MFT is no problem too. I made an install video last week, hopefully that helps add additional info for you.

Hey. Great video. Did you have any issues with the new brackets you purchased and the cover? I see some mentions of using lower profile bolts to install and one guy said he had to drill a hole to make it work? I didn't hear you mention any issues about the mounting and the new brackets. Thanks in advance for the help...

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Been meaning to get to this thread for a while now...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

Now for the tonneau cover.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
_IMG_20200301_160512.jpg

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I replaced the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
_IMG_20200704_102513.jpg

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
_IMG_20200521_193025.jpg
_00000IMG_00000_BURST20200704102612130_COVER.jpg

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
_hIMG_20200704_125147.jpg

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
_IMG_20200704_102349.jpg

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
_IMG_20200716_223541.jpg

Bed using the bypass switch.
_IMG_20200716_223602.jpg

Last edited:

ermizo

Reaction score
Did you need the button cap bolts or would have the stock ones worked? I just ordered the brackets...
The button cap bolts weren't necessary, there's enough room with the stock bolts, but the button cap bolts did make it easier as there was less for the cover box to catch on as it was set into place. I also prefer the appearance of the replacement bolts over the bulky stock bolts.

TerryK67

Reaction score
The button cap bolts weren't necessary, there's enough room with the stock bolts, but the button cap bolts did make it easier as there was less for the cover box to catch on as it was set into place. I also prefer the appearance of the replacement bolts over the bulky stock bolts.
Thanks!

TerryK67

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I think your link to the bed lights is not going to the info about them? Also can you put a link to the weatherstripping you used? I’m getting all my stuff together for my install. Thanks again.

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
View attachment 62241

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I placed the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
View attachment 62248

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
View attachment 62251

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
View attachment 62249

View attachment 62250

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I think your link to the bed lights is not going to the info about them? Also can you put a link to the weatherstripping you used? I’m getting all my stuff together for my install. Thanks again.

Sorry about that. Here is a direct link to the Nilight TR-09 3PCS 60 Bed Light Strip:

It looks like the price went up since I bough them.

For weatherstripping I went with:

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal (front of bed between bed and canister, top of the tailgate)

ESI Front Rail Seal XL (large gaps at the top sides of the tailgate)

3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive (I needed this to keep the strip on the top of the tailgate in place - if you don't have a spray on bed liner you might not need it)

The areas where it may leak are pretty obvious, if you can see light through the sealed areas it will leak. With the bed completely dry I close my tonneau cover and hit it with my pressure washer. I've been adjusting and adding more weatherstripping as needed.

Skater

Reaction score

View attachment 62241

I placed the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

View attachment 62248

View attachment 62251

View attachment 62249

View attachment 62250
I did not see the name of your tailgate light bar in your signature. Is that the Putco, or other?

Last edited:

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I did not see the name of your tailgate light bar in your signature. is that the Putco, or other?

I went with the Wigbow 60" LED Tailgate Light Bar and used the CURT 55384 Trailer Wiring Harness to power it.

I shot a quick video right after the install if you want to check it out.

slapthatplank

Reaction score
Hey. Great video. Did you have any issues with the new brackets you purchased and the cover? I see some mentions of using lower profile bolts to install and one guy said he had to drill a hole to make it work? I didn't hear you mention any issues about the mounting and the new brackets. Thanks in advance for the help...

Sorry for the slow reply, I thought I’d get notified. In any case, I didn’t have any problems with the factory bolts. It was all pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread