5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Savagescott

Reaction score
Glad we could help! Your truck looks great!!

Anyone that has replaced the factory brackets seeing any adverse effects with tailgate alignment, etc.? I have a Lomax cover I want to reuse - looks like the design/install is exactly the same as the Waethertech and I'm thrilled to hear there might be a solution for the MFT.

Skater

Reaction score
Everyone I am aware who have installed Right On Brackets have had no issues with bed alignment. The Right On Brackets are stronger than OEM if you remove the cross-member on the OEM. Plus, the guys at Right On Brackets are very accessible, members in here, and answer questions pretty promptly on this forum. If you call them or email them, they are immediately responsive. If you run across any issues with their brackets and your tonneau, I am positive they will work with you to figure it out.

No, I am not a paid spokesman for Right On Bracket, nor do I get any benefit from promoting their product. Their product was the solution to my problem, that problem being the same problem you are experiencing now with your MFT and chosen tonneau.

Seriously, if you have questions... PM RightOnBracket in here. He will answer your question.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
616ad8f29079c56a940233fbe23e7bf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrod909

Reaction score
First time posting on this forum, but I’ve been lurking this thread for a while now. I recently purchased the right on brackets and a Retrax Pro XR cover for my 2020 Ram 1500. I received the right on brackets and I’m still waiting for the cover to be shipped. In the meantime did anyone prep the brackets before installing them? Such as spray painting them with rust resistant paint? Or are they already rust resistant?

Skater

Reaction score
First time posting on this forum, but I’ve been lurking this thread for a while now. I recently purchased the right on brackets and a Retrax Pro XR cover for my 2020 Ram 1500. I received the right on brackets and I’m still waiting for the cover to be shipped. In the meantime did anyone prep the brackets before installing them? Such as spray painting them with rust resistant paint? Or are they already rust resistant?
I did not prep them at all, but under the tonneau I do not believe mine need protection as they will always be out of the elements.

Reyemon

Reaction score
Thank you. Has anyone installed an under cover tonneau?
Undercover flex with ram box and MFT. According to the site it did not fit MFT but I had n ok problems. Best box cover out

Attachments

• 20200716_220449.jpg
    20200716_220449.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200716_220443.jpg
    20200716_220443.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 148

Ramcar

Reaction score
No it went super easy. About 15 minutes from opening the box to being done. I did have to loosen it up and move it back, I installed it too far forward at first.
I’ve read on line that they leak. Are you having any issues with leaks? I’m in Florida and rain here is a constant. Thanks for any answers.

Granthol

Reaction score
I’ve read on line that they leak. Are you having any issues with leaks? I’m in Florida and rain here is a constant. Thanks for any answers.
I’ve had almost no rain here since it went on. I can tell you when going through the car wash I get just minimal dampness in the bed, but I’ve done nothing to track it down. It looks like I need to cut the weatherstrip at the front of the bed where it comes off of the rail covers. It also looks like a little could come in at the split at the top of the MFT. Like I said though, in the car wash it’s minimal.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Access I installed last weekend is so far great with waterproofing. Rained like a son a ***** this week.. only water I see is when I open the tailgate it must drip in from me opening it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkcobbs

Reaction score
RIGHT ON! ... RIghtOnBracket! It worked. Your brackets were the solution to fitting the WeatherTech Alloy Tri-Fold Tonneau on my Limited. I installed the WeatherTech rails under your brackets and it looks great. Sorry for scratching your fine craftsmanship with my wrench, but the fit was wonderful and the screw holes aligned perfectly. Placing the bracket on top of the rails caused me to have to work the bracket a little to get the holes to line up; nevertheless . . . Thank you. (y)(y)

The only issue is that I have to put a little more weatherstripping under the front of the tonneau on top of the bulkhead because the brackets cause the tonneau to sit about 1/8 of an inch further back from the bulkhead than if no brackets were present. That is a small inconvenience for a wonderful looking tonneau that I could not have installed without your ingenuity and efforts.

View attachment 66595 View attachment 66596
Can you give me a little more guidance on your technique related to the "needed to work the bracket a little to get holes to line up" ? I'm trying to install the WeatherTech Alloy Tri-Fold on my Longhorn with Right on Brackets using your method of installing the brackets over the WeatherTech and I'm having substantial issues with trying to get the holes to line up on the front of the bed.

Skater

Reaction score
I put the bracket on top of the WeatherTech rail. I put one screw in the bulkhead of the bed loosely. I then put one screw in the front screw hole under the rail, which did take a little wiggling. I next put the other screws in the bracket under the rail. Lining up the innermost screw hole on the bulkhead required use of a screwdriver to pry it up and align the hole while I tightened the remaining screws. Once the remaining screws were all tight, that last bracket hole was just slightly out of alignment, so I forced the screw in and tightened it. I hope this helps. If not, I can take pictures of which holes I lined up first and last for you, but I need a day or so to get to my Ram for this. Let me know.

dkcobbs

Reaction score
I put the bracket on top of the WeatherTech rail. I put one screw in the bulkhead of the bed loosely. I then put one screw in the front screw hole under the rail, which did take a little wiggling. I next put the other screws in the bracket under the rail. Lining up the innermost screw hole on the bulkhead required use of a screwdriver to pry it up and align the hole while I tightened the remaining screws. Once the remaining screws were all tight, that last bracket hole was just slightly out of alignment, so I forced the screw in and tightened it. I hope this helps. If not, I can take pictures of which holes I lined up first and last for you, but I need a day or so to get to my Ram for this. Let me know.
Thanks for the help. Frustrated enough that I'm done for today but will go back at it tomorrow. Now that I have a plan of attack I will get it done! Greatly appreciate the help.

Skater

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Frustrated enough that I'm done for today but will go back at it tomorrow. Now that I have a plan of attack I will get it done! Greatly appreciate the help.
I hope this sequence helps. Since I have the BedRug installed and glued down, I could not take it down to show the screws underneath. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.33.52 PM.png

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Got the Right on Brackets and Installed my Extang Xceed Cover this morning. Bracket holes weren't quite lined up as I hoped but it worked with some finesse. I had to set the rails a tiny bit back off the front bulkhead and the lower portion of the rails need to be notched (possibly) to allow middle screw on the side bulkheads to sit flush. In the pics you can see how I have it set. I left it for now but I'm thinking about putting a nut behind the washer so it can be tightened better. Overall not a perfect plug and play, but it works.

If anyone prefers a lower profile tonneau with the MFT, it is possible. As far as I know this cover is similar to the BAKFlip MX4 and Gator FX3 so if you're in the market for anything like that, get yourself the Right on Brackets and problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your contributions here. I read and re-read a lot of your posts. And thanks Pete at Right On. Was worried I wouldn't be able to get some brackets being here in Canada, but Pete made sure I got mine and was Right On time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_1206143.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1206143.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20200915_1206190.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1206190.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200915_1206251.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1206251.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20200915_1206416.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1206416.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20200915_1206572.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1206572.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20200915_1324501.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1324501.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20200915_1324579.jpg
    IMG_20200915_1324579.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 249

Kooch80

Reaction score
Great pics of the install where the bracket goes in. Helps me for sure in deciding to try a similar type cover. I had Bakflip MX4 on my last Ram, going to try the X4 rollup on this one. I saw one other member on here put it on his truck with the MFT using the brackets. I did not like not being able to see out the back window when the MX4 was folded all the way up.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the money and aren't really concerned about having the canister in the bed, the retractable covers are the way to go in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread