5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

PaPa CdAh

Reaction score
No issues with the bracket toward the front of the bed? I contemplating the Extang Signature Trifecta 2.0 over the Truxedo Truxport. But I have tempted to have a harder top as well!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not totally installed yet. I need 6 flat head screws from HD. ordered 4 to pick up tomorrow. Have to countersink the brackets cuz even with the new brackets not enough room for screw heads. I guess the Gator Trax is a little larger than the Retrax.
IMG_20200824_180101786.jpg
IMG_20200824_180122091_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Maxx

Reaction score
Been meaning to get to this thread for a while now...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

Now for the tonneau cover.

I have a 2020 RAM with MFT and Ramboxes which really limited me on tonneau cover choices. I went with the RetraxOne MX (60244). Ordered it through Lucas Kyle at http://truckalterations.com/. He gave me a great price and delivery was quick.

Install was pretty straight forward, what I really liked is I can still use my bed rail tie-down cleats and my cargo divider.
View attachment 62241

What I didn't like was the flimsy drain tubes for the main canister. They leaked and were a little too short to reach the drain holes in the bed. The tonneau cover also leaks around the seals.

I replaced the drain tubes with heavy duty drain tubes and siliconed the
View attachment 62244

I replaced the weather stripping the cover came with better quality and added extra around the tailgate. I finished it off with some LED bed light strips. Wiring was pretty easy, I spliced into the switch in the bed and added a switch to use as a bypass. I didn't have to remove the taillight or bed light since the wires were easily accessible from under the truck.
View attachment 62246
View attachment 62247

I installed the LED strips behind the tonneau cover frame which gives it a stock look with the lights. Here are some pics of the finished project.
View attachment 62248

I added weather stripping to the top of the tailgate which has helped a lot with water leakage.
View attachment 62251

Here's the bed with all the lights turned on, I replaced the brake lights with LEDs as well so it's pretty bright.
View attachment 62249

Bed using the bypass switch.
View attachment 62250

Snicklefritz_76-

I have the same set up as you and was going to get the Pro MX, but read in a post several months ago that the Retrax seal prevented the rambox from opening all the way. Does the rubber seal interfere opening the Rambox fully? Could you send a couple of pics of the open rambox by the seals?

THX

THX

Skater

Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone use that tonneau cover yet. I would ask "why" their cover doesn't work with this truck. If the issue is the stock brackets not allowing the bed rails to be flush, our brackets should be the solution. This tonneau cover looks very similar to many others, so I don't see why it wouldn't work! Let us know what you hear!
RIGHT ON! ... RIghtOnBracket! It worked. Your brackets were the solution to fitting the WeatherTech Alloy Tri-Fold Tonneau on my Limited. I installed the WeatherTech rails under your brackets and it looks great. Sorry for scratching your fine craftsmanship with my wrench, but the fit was wonderful and the screw holes aligned perfectly. Placing the bracket on top of the rails caused me to have to work the bracket a little to get the holes to line up; nevertheless . . . Thank you. (y)(y)

The only issue is that I have to put a little more weatherstripping under the front of the tonneau on top of the bulkhead because the brackets cause the tonneau to sit about 1/8 of an inch further back from the bulkhead than if no brackets were present. That is a small inconvenience for a wonderful looking tonneau that I could not have installed without your ingenuity and efforts.

1.png 1.JPG

Last edited:

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Snicklefritz_76-

I have the same set up as you and was going to get the Pro MX, but read in a post several months ago that the Retrax seal prevented the rambox from opening all the way. Does the rubber seal interfere opening the Rambox fully? Could you send a couple of pics of the open rambox by the seals?

THX

THX

I responded in a private message but if anyone else would like pics, I can post them in the forum if requested.

Maxx

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Limited 5'7" bed Rambox, cargo management pkg, black appearance pkg & MFT. Tie down rails are black. Does it make a difference in the installation and can rails stay in bed as mounted?

Thx

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Limited 5'7" bed Rambox, cargo management pkg, black appearance pkg & MFT. Tie down rails are black. Does it make a difference in the installation and can rails stay in bed as mounted?

Thx

I have the Retrax and the same setup as you and it didn't make a difference. My tie down rails and hooks went back in and work the same way as before I installed the cover.

Note: you will not need any additional brackets to install the cover.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally as done as it's going to get with my Gator Trax MX One from my '15. I had to countersink the side holes on the Right-On brackets which has holes in it so large that I only have about 1/8" of surface area but since this is not under a lot of stress I feel it's fine.

BUT, even with the thinner brackets the front of the canister binds and won't easily sit where it belongs without repeated blows with a large non-marring mallet....not for the faint hearted. I also had to grind down each end of the rear spacer plate to get it to work. In retrospect I should have replaced a couple of screws on the canister with flat heads.

Anyway, after a lot of work in 90% humidity it's on and working well. The hose test showed the bed was not leaking from the cover which is surprising considering I didn't replace any of the gasket material. It was definitely not drop in like the Retrax version in this thread was.

gatortrax.jpg ram8-28-20.jpg

Last edited:

Skater

Reaction score
Finally as done as it's going to get with my Gator Trax MX One from my '15. I had to countersink the side holes on the Right-On brackets which has holes in it so large that I only have about 1/8" of surface area but since this is not under a lot of stress I feel it's fine.

BUT, even with the thinner brackets the front of the canister binds and won't easily sit where it belongs without repeated blows with a large non-marring mallet....not for the faint hearted. I also had to grind down each end of the rear spacer plate to get it to work. In retrospect I should have replaced a couple of screws on the canister with flat heads.

Anyway, after a lot of work in 90% humidity it's on and working well. The hose test showed the bed was not leaking from the cover which is surprising considering I didn't replace any of the gasket material. It was definitely not drop in like the Retrax version in this thread was.

View attachment 66806 View attachment 66807
Great work. (y)

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the EXTANG XCEED or MOPAR (from what I've read basically an MX4) cover with the Right on Brackets? I know @Bigstraus30 finessed the Gator FX3 (which is similar) on with the new brackets and I assume it would be much the same but would like to hear some first hand accounts if any.

jcarcueva

Reaction score
RIGHT ON! ... RIghtOnBracket! It worked. Your brackets were the solution to fitting the WeatherTech Alloy Tri-Fold Tonneau on my Limited. I installed the WeatherTech rails under your brackets and it looks great. Sorry for scratching your fine craftsmanship with my wrench, but the fit was wonderful and the screw holes aligned perfectly. Placing the bracket on top of the rails caused me to have to work the bracket a little to get the holes to line up; nevertheless . . . Thank you. (y)(y)

The only issue is that I have to put a little more weatherstripping under the front of the tonneau on top of the bulkhead because the brackets cause the tonneau to sit about 1/8 of an inch further back from the bulkhead than if no brackets were present. That is a small inconvenience for a wonderful looking tonneau that I could not have installed without your ingenuity and efforts.

View attachment 66595 View attachment 66596

Amazing. Thank you for posting your install.

I'm leaning towards the Weathertech....looks great

Skater

Reaction score
Amazing. Thank you for posting your install.

I'm leaning towards the Weathertech....looks great
Let me know if you have any issues/questions if you install the WeatherTech. I love the look and it is water tight. I washed and ceramic coated my Ram Sunday afternoon, and soaked the tonneau all around to see if any water leaked in. With the additional weatherstripping under the front of the tonneau across the bulkhead, no water leaks at all.

rightonbracket

Reaction score

View attachment 66595 View attachment 66596

Glad we could help! Your truck looks great!!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad we could help! Your truck looks great!!
Yea, your brackets solved my issue as well. As I said in my post I had to countersink the side holes and use a flat head screw for the 3 side holes but I still needed a mallet to get it to fit so in retrospect. I would have either needed to countersink some of the screws on the canister or use 1/4" thick brackets for installing 2015 Gator Trax MX cover without the mallet ;)

ForddrivingaRam

Reaction score
I acquired brackets of 3/8" steel from Pete at rightonbrackets.com, drilled them to match the factory brackets, and installed a retrax pro mx cover. Fit like a glove. The new brackets appear stronger than the factory bolts that secure them and the steel part of the bed they are fastened to. Love this cover, BTW View attachment 39921 View attachment 39921
Did you say it came with new bolts?

ForddrivingaRam

Reaction score
I don't have anything useful. I actually had to drill out the connector points for the physical cover. I think if the RightonBrackets cut out a notch maybe a .5" or so, this would allow the rails to sit where they should.
Where would you have the notches cut? About to order a set.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the Access Original Tonneau cover yesterday. Specifically made for MFT. Beautiful cover but PIA to install. 4 hour job. Still had to take off brackets to tighten up some bolts then put them back on. They failed to tell us this in the instructions. There was no way to get to some bolts that needed to be tightened up in the install. Besides the install. Very happy with it. Pics coming later. Going to the beach now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Installed the Access Original Tonneau cover yesterday. Specifically made for MFT. Beautiful cover but PIA to install. 4 hour job. Still had to take off brackets to tighten up some bolts then put them back on. They failed to tell us this in the instructions. There was no way to get to some bolts that needed to be tightened up in the install. Besides the install. Very happy with it. Pics coming later. Going to the beach now
emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm looking forward to seeing your pics because my truck will have the MFT and I am looking at different options for tonneau covers that will work with the MFT without replacing the corner brackets with the Right On Brackets.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Where would you have the notches cut? About to order a set.

Hard to remember, but I think towards the top and outside of the bracket. I also drove sometime without the brackets, so my bed my have shifted slightly at that point. I only think this because other people have said they had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread