5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your body weight for one over and over without realizing it. You’re free to go ahead and do as you wish of course. But don’t come back here crying when you warp your bed and ruin your 60K+ truck because you took some guys word that knows nothing and just wants to sell you a top and also cares less about your truck.

Yes “replacing” the brackets with other engineered brackets that have strength to them will protect your truck. I’d suggest you read the thread before showing up on the last page and arguing about something you and your “aftermarket bed cover engineer” obviously know nothing about.

You asked a question and received an honest and researched answer just to be a smart@ss. Good luck to you Sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are putting a cover on the truck. It attaches each side together. You don't need an over "engineered bracket".
If you think the sides of your bed are going to bend and warp by sitting on it you're insane, you would be more likely to break the tailgate off then that and the bracers in back do nothing to support the gate connection itself

You are saying someone who does what the customer wants it going to get law suites.

Are you always this hostile and dramatic or only on the internet?

monkeypunch

Reaction score
You are putting a cover on the truck. It attaches each side together. You don't need an over "engineered bracket".
If you think the sides of your bed are going to bend and warp by sitting on it you're insane, you would be more likely to break the tailgate off then that and the bracers in back do nothing to support the gate connection itself

You are saying someone who does what the customer wants it going to get law suites.

I mean RAM didn't put them on by accident. And there is a way we could find out. Who wants to take brackets off their truck, then hang from the MFT while open barn door style.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

So what you really came here for was some one to say SURE GO AHEAD AND LET THEM REMOVE (without replacing with something and not just a tonneau cover) A MANUFACTURE INSTALLED BRACKET. Well you won’t get that here because most of us are smarter than that. But again you do you and let them void your warranty because you refused to take some sound advice.

The brackets either the OEM or right-on, are there to prevent bending and flexing of the bed walls when the tailgate is used in the barn door opening. A tonneau cover will not prevent that without a bracket.

You really don’t need all 6 lug nuts so just use 3, those engineers have no clue why they put them on there. It just sounded good to them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So what you really came here for was some one to say SURE GO AHEAD AND LET THEM REMOVE (without replacing with something and not just a tonneau cover) A MANUFACTURE INSTALLED BRACKET. Well you won’t get that here because most of us are smarter than that. But again you do you and let them void your warranty because you refused to take some sound advice.

The brackets either the OEM or right-on, are there to prevent bending and flexing of the bed walls when the tailgate is used in the barn door opening. A tonneau cover will not prevent that without a bracket.

You really don’t need all 6 lug nuts so just use 3, those engineers have no clue why they put them on there. It just sounded good to them.
All I have to say is Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
You really are quite a weird one...

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
All I have to say is Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
You really are quite a weird one...

Maybe you should have read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act before referencing it.

All I have to say is AGAIN you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re removing manufacturer installed items without installing a reasonable replacement part and then going to try and say is “All I have to say is Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act“?

Here are a couple excerpts from that

1. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

Notice the last line.

2. Limitations
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not invalidate or restrict any right or remedy of any consumer under any other federal law, nor does the act supersede the Federal Trade Commission Act as it pertains to antitrust actions.

The act does not invalidate or restrict any right or remedy of any consumer under state law. The act is not the dominant regulation of consumer product warranties, and while it prescribes certain disclosures and restricts certain limitations on warranties, it leaves other warranty law untouched.[9]

Although the act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, warranties on services for repairs are not covered.

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

In other words warranty voided by you taking some tonneau cover salesmans word who's just trying to make a sale. You are correct though that they, the salesman or company, won’t have lawsuits against them because they have wording in their sales documents that state “you the consumer(i.e. sucker) release them from any lawsuits because you told them to install whatever it is you the sucker are buying” <— not exact obviously but you get my meaning.

At least I do my research before spouting some random words or facts that make me look ignorant.

I answered your 1st question and you don’t want to accept that, I’m fine with that. So again feel free to do as you wish with your truck. Just don’t come back here crying when the manufacturer laughs you off the lot when you try and spout the “Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act” because YOU voided the warranty by removing an installed support component.

So who is the weird one?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe you should have read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act before referencing it.

All I have to say is AGAIN you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re removing manufacturer installed items without installing a reasonable replacement part and then going to try and say is “All I have to say is Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act“?

Here are a couple excerpts from that

1. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

Notice the last line.

2. Limitations
The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not invalidate or restrict any right or remedy of any consumer under any other federal law, nor does the act supersede the Federal Trade Commission Act as it pertains to antitrust actions.

The act does not invalidate or restrict any right or remedy of any consumer under state law. The act is not the dominant regulation of consumer product warranties, and while it prescribes certain disclosures and restricts certain limitations on warranties, it leaves other warranty law untouched.[9]

Although the act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, warranties on services for repairs are not covered.

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

In other words warranty voided by you taking some tonneau cover salesmans word who's just trying to make a sale. You are correct though that they, the salesman or company, won’t have lawsuits against them because they have wording in their sales documents that state “you the consumer(i.e. sucker) release them from any lawsuits because you told them to install whatever it is you the sucker are buying” <— not exact obviously but you get my meaning.

At least I do my research before spouting some random words or facts that make me look ignorant.

I answered your 1st question and you don’t want to accept that, I’m fine with that. So again feel free to do as you wish with your truck. Just don’t come back here crying when the manufacturer laughs you off the lot when you try and spout the “Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act” because YOU voided the warranty by removing an installed support component.

So who is the weird one?
You're wacked dude.
I'm not going to keep feeding you.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
You're wacked dude.
I'm not going to keep feeding you.
LMAO so I’m whacked (btw that’s the correct spelling) for posting facts instead of fiction? I get it, in your world everyone else is whacked if they don‘t see it your way or agree with you no matter how wrong you are and you’re the only logical human. All good dude, enjoy your new cover. I’d suggest deleting your account here since it’s obvious you don’t want actual answers. Maybe Nickelodeon or Disney forums would be better for your fantasy world. 😂😂

Sumter63

Reaction score
Hello! First post on this forum, but I wanted to chime in about the replacement brackets from Pete at rightonbrackets.com. I really appreciated all the conversations in the forum here about getting replacement brackets so I could get the bed cover I wanted, so I'd like to add my experience for those that are still figuring out what to do. I can't recommend this option highly enough. The replacement brackets showed up very quickly from rightonbrackets and Pete gave me a call once he saw they were delivered to see how things were working. The only thing I had to do was cut back about 1/4 inch of the spray in bedliner to get the brackets to fit flush. I had the Retrax cover installed by an authorized installer (I didn't have time do it before I needed the cover and was also very curious to see what a professional installer thought of the brackets). The installer was impressed by the brackets, asked for the website I got them so he can recommend it to other customers who have been coming with the same issues. Retrax cover was installed with no issues, works great, no problems at all. Highly recommend, you won't be disappointed. I'm happy to take an additional pictures or answer any questions you might have about this.
View attachment 47827 View attachment 47827 View attachment 47828 View attachment 47829 View attachment 47830 View attachment 47831 View attachment 47832 View attachment 47833 View attachment 47834 View attachment 47835 View attachment 47836
Hello did you have to modify anything on the cover rails for it to fit with the bracket as the bracket still is further out than the side rails on truck . Looking at same bracket. Also any warranty issues with the cover or truck? Thanks looks great.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello did you have to modify anything on the cover rails for it to fit with the bracket as the bracket still is further out than the side rails on truck . Looking at same bracket. Also any warranty issues with the cover or truck? Thanks looks great.
No warranty issues. No modifications needed either.

Sumter63

Reaction score
Everyone I am aware who have installed Right On Brackets have had no issues with bed alignment. The Right On Brackets are stronger than OEM if you remove the cross-member on the OEM. Plus, the guys at Right On Brackets are very accessible, members in here, and answer questions pretty promptly on this forum. If you call them or email them, they are immediately responsive. If you run across any issues with their brackets and your tonneau, I am positive they will work with you to figure it out.

No, I am not a paid spokesman for Right On Bracket, nor do I get any benefit from promoting their product. Their product was the solution to my problem, that problem being the same problem you are experiencing now with your MFT and chosen tonneau.

Seriously, if you have questions... PM RightOnBracket in here. He will answer your question.
What cross member are you referring to. Thanks

Sumter63

Reaction score
After trying 5 covers, I found one that suits my OCD and does not need (much) modification. The UnderCover Ultraflex - this is my third one and love the cover (2009 ram, 2018 GMC and now 2019 ram).
You’ll need to trim the seal about the length of the bracket, and use flush mount bolts on the brackets themselves. Other than that, easy install and looks great.
Other than flush mount bolts any other mod needed. This is the cover I would like. Thanks

Sumter63

Reaction score
Images may not be good enough for very subtle differences, but it would still be great if people could submit a photo of their OEM brackets.

I'll start off, here are mine off of a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited:

View attachment 83899
View attachment 83900
View attachment 83901

To be absolutely certain, it would require someone physically having brackets off of both 2020 and 2021 trucks and then directly comparing them right next to each other with proper measurements. Pete should have had access to both, and there are now two variations in the Right-On brackets. This would make sense only if there are two different style OEM brackets and yet the OEM part number has not changed for 2021.

If anyone still has their OEM brackets, either from 2020 or 2021, please check the back and ensure the part number is 68414475AC. If you see anything other than this part number, please post a photo of it here. Otherwise, I think we can safely assume that all part #68414475AC brackets are identical. If there was any significant change in the dimensions, a new part number would have been issued.
Has anyone found a difference in 2022 brackets?

LBTRS

Reaction score
I installed a DiamondBack SE on my new truck yesterday and tried to install the cross bin with it. The cross bin will not allow the brackets to be screwed back in place as the holes will no longer line up. Fought it for three hours and gave up. If you're getting a DiamondBack SE Truck Cover skip the crossbin.

Sumter63

Reaction score
Ok. This is my first post. But I want you guys to know that the Truxedo Sentry available for the multi-function tailgate. They have two version. I have the sentry and the also have the sentry CT. It is a hard roll-up cover. It is also low profile. They just finish designing the rails last week. I had to wait 3 weeks to get it, but it is better than expected. Had the Solid-Fold 2.0 and did not like. I have included some pics.
Can the side be pulled up being g velcro. And how is this at highway speeds. Looks nice

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed a DiamondBack SE on my new truck yesterday and tried to install the cross bin with it. The cross bin will not allow the brackets to be screwed back in place as the holes will no longer line up. Fought it for three hours and gave up. If you're getting a DiamondBack SE Truck Cover skip the crossbin.
What is a cross bin?

Sumter63

Reaction score
I replaced my tonneau cover with a Bak MX4. I've included some pictures to help other people with their installation. I installed the RO Brackets. I cut the rails (IMG_3091) 10 5/8" x 7/8" to fit around the RO Brackets. I used a cutting wheel (IMG_3099) to cut the rail. Then I drilled out the rivets in the bracket. I removed the drain housing (pull it off the end) and cut a small piece off the end to account for the RO Bracket thickness 1/4". I deserted the drain housing drill a bigger how to allow water to drain and used some self-tapping screws to re-secure the bracket (IMG_3093) to the rail. Below are some pictures to help give a visual of the cuts and a few pictures of the results.
Is the 1/4 " cut at cab side of rail needed to fit rail in. Could you slide it down to the tailgate side or does this effect the gate opening. Thanks. Looks great

Dusm

Reaction score
What brackets do you need to install? The mft corner bed brackets? I thought only the 270 has the brackets on the bulkhead? I don't see how the bin would the corner brackets or are you trying to install them in the inside the bin which would move the out the thickness of the aluminum?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread