5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I installed a DiamondBack SE on my new truck yesterday and tried to install the cross bin with it. The cross bin will not allow the brackets to be screwed back in place as the holes will no longer line up. Fought it for three hours and gave up. If you're getting a DiamondBack SE Truck Cover skip the crossbin.
Some pictures of what you’re saying would be more helpful

jgc650i

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has installed the Retrax PowerTraxPro MX on the 6'4" bed with the MFT and BUG but obviously without the RamBox since it doesn't come on the 6'4" bed? If so, happy with it, fit well with Right on Bracket? Any regrets?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has installed the Retrax PowerTraxPro MX on the 6'4" bed with the MFT and BUG but obviously without the RamBox since it doesn't come on the 6'4" bed? If so, happy with it, fit well with Right on Bracket? Any regrets?

Yep. Very happy with it.

ETA: You'll see in my sig, I've got the XR. Oops...and it's not a Power. Hmm. FWIW, I had the MX and then bought the XR rails and swapped them in. I'd suggest getting the XR. If you every want a T-slot accessory, you'll be set.

sport1012

Reaction score
Yep. Very happy with it.

ETA: You'll see in my sig, I've got the XR. Oops...and it's not a Power. Hmm. FWIW, I had the MX and then bought the XR rails and swapped them in. I'd suggest getting the XR. If you every want a T-slot accessory, you'll be set.
Evening! I just brought home my 2022 Ecodiesel Limited 10th Anniversary Edition.. I find it a great truck except for the bed cover... and would like to install the XR as you did. I do have the MFT! Did you have to do any modifications to get MFT to work with the XR? I also have 6'4" bed... Thanks!
jim
PS: I ordered this unit on August 1, 2021 last year... Took awhile but worth the wait!!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Evening! I just brought home my 2022 Ecodiesel Limited 10th Anniversary Edition.. I find it a great truck except for the bed cover... and would like to install the XR as you did. I do have the MFT! Did you have to do any modifications to get MFT to work with the XR? I also have 6'4" bed... Thanks!
jim
PS: I ordered this unit on August 1, 2021 last year... Took awhile but worth the wait!!

Mods... Somewhere I have a thread with some pix.

For the Retrax to fit, you need to remove the brackets at the front of the bed. I replaced them with Right On brackets. They're great. I used some cone-head bolts and some button-head bolts in the new Right-On bracket to get the clearance I needed for the Retrax cartridge. I ended up with about 1/2" on each side clearance. There are 6 (?) bolts for each bracket. I had to use different heads to get the clearance and some bolts are different lengths, or they won't go all the way in.

I got the bolts from boltdepot.com. I smeared them with loctite and torqued them in really well. You won't get a chance to ever tighten them again without removing your cover.

I'll add another post to this if I can find my writeup, with all the specs...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
jim

Some posts...

Currently traveling, so no other info other than the above. The homedepot drain tubing works perfectly, and a bit better than the retrax ones. The bolts...I bought a variety of lengths and heads. The pix in the post (above) show what I did.

sport1012

Reaction score
Some posts...

Currently traveling, so no other info other than the above. The homedepot drain tubing works perfectly, and a bit better than the retrax ones. The bolts...I bought a variety of lengths and heads. The pix in the post (above) show what I did.
Thank you so much! I hope to let you know with photos of my install (have to do before our Al-Can Trip this June!).

Reactions: c3k

testcrewman

Reaction score
Successfully installed the Bak Revolver X4s hard rolling tonneau using the right on brackets and some modification.
I too, successfully installed the Revolver X4s, and I couldn't have done it without your very detailed instructions. Thank you so much for taking the time to post all of the pictures and instructions. Took me less than an hour, and that includes the time to modify the rails to fit with the right on brackets.

Attachments

• 20220330_185046.jpg
    20220330_185046.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220330_184842.jpg
    20220330_184842.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220330_190938.jpg
    20220330_190938.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 113

HaywoodJablomee

Reaction score
If anyone needs a set of the right one brackets, I have a pair that I just removed from my truck as it is being sold. They come with the flush mounted bolts as well as already chamfered holes. Looking for 75 shipped.
I know it's been a while, but do you still have these brackets for sale?

Hofkamp

Reaction score
Looking for a Great box Cover, the TruXedo Sentry Fits perfectly on Ram 1500 with Split tailgate. No corner bracket change required. Plus holds down perfect even at South Dakota interstate speeds!

Jkayser

Reaction score
I've seen it asked a couple times but I have not seen a reply.

2022 MFT

Will right on brackets work with the Roll-n-lock?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you tell me what you used to cut the rails? Dremel? Something else? Thanks.
What year truck and build do you have? there's different things to be done depending on what exactly you have.
In general dremels type devices do work really well for cutting through metal.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Well I watched pete @ right on put a Backflip MX4 on his truck....no idea how. I spent hours modifying the rails, But with the thick brackets the tonno will not sit flush not sit right. The rail bolts dont line up either. Wasted 1k on a cover modifying rails that never worked. Grrrrrr

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well I watched pete @ right on put a Backflip MX4 on his truck....no idea how. I spent hours modifying the rails, But with the thick brackets the tonno will not sit flush not sit right. The rail bolts dont line up either. Wasted 1k on a cover modifying rails that never worked. Grrrrrr
If it makes you feel any better I had to buy new rails from the stealership for around $350 to mount my $1700 cover, and it doesn't fit right and I don't think there's anything I can do to make it right because my truck has Ramboxes.

mhb1638

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better I had to buy new rails from the stealership for around $350 to mount my $1700 cover, and it doesn't fit right and I don't think there's anything I can do to make it right because my truck has Ramboxes.
Holy hell. I need to check into new rails so I can sell the cover. Ridiculous. And the right on brackets are just too damn thick

CoZo6

Reaction score
jim
Hi Jim. I have a 2021 hemi with 6’4” bed and MFT. I installed the XR with only changing out to the Right On brackets. I even used the OEM bolts on the brackets. I tried to get a picture but I don’t bend as easy as I used to. Works great and I no water after car wash, contrary to others who did. Did you install yet?

Last edited:

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just order this one [Pre-Order] RAM 1500 Rambox (2009-2022) Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover - Short Bed
i have the rambox and MFT, the descritoption says it will not fit the MFT but it will. check with the company and the stated they will not guarantee the water proof part. so i am buying (from amazon) the seals to cover the tailgate areas where there are large gaps. That should take care of the water issue.

mhb1638

Reaction score
BTW for those wondering, You CAN actually use a hard folding tonno cover with the MFT. There's a guy online (retailer) that shows its possible. Well, I contacted him. He charged me $100 for a text message containing 3 pictures and instructions on what to do. Yes, highway fking robbery. My 100 gone is my gift a now knowing to you all. I'll be more than happy to share my knowledge for those desiring to keep this *** another $100. PM for info

Reactions: c3k

mhb1638

Reaction score
Wrong I got the answers

Users who are viewing this thread