5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Coachallen83

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have you tried to see if a Gator FX3 will fit. I know it’s very similar to the Bakflip MX4. Through this weekend they’re marked down about $85. Ive searched the whole thread but didn’t see this particular one mentioned.
Did you purchase it? If so what do you think?

Sdolse1

Reaction score
You definitely have to cut the rails so that they dont overlap with the RO brackets - that is the main thing - cut them all the way to the top (i will post pictures shortly). I had alignment issues with the RO brackets - but I understand that RO has rectified this. Once you have done that then it is a breeze. Make sure to torque only to 10ft/lb the rail clams
I'm getting ready to cut the rails for the MX4 to fit over the RO brackets. Did yours work out ok and are there any tips you'd offer before I get started? thanks

pinzg35

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to cut the rails for the MX4 to fit over the RO brackets. Did yours work out ok and are there any tips you'd offer before I get started? thanks
You'll need to cut off around 10 inches if I remember correctly? It's pretty much the length of the RO brackets. I haven't had any problems since doing this. Just remember to place the railing brackets that attach to the truck as close as you can to the area you cut and it will be secure.

Sdolse1

Reaction score
You'll need to cut off around 10 inches if I remember correctly? It's pretty much the length of the RO brackets. I haven't had any problems since doing this. Just remember to place the railing brackets that attach to the truck as close as you can to the area you cut and it will be secure.
great, thanks. I cut the rails (10 5/8" X 7/8) and installed the cover today...seems to fit well

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
great, thanks. I cut the rails (10 5/8" X 7/8) and installed the cover today...seems to fit well
Glad you found the answers here. You can find tons of info on these forums but there’s still things you just have to hit the dealership up for.

Coachallen83

Reaction score
did you cut the brackets while they were clamped on the siderail or off? What tool did you use to trim them?

Rgerhardt

Reaction score
Looking a purchasing a 2022 Limited with the MFT and was wanting to install a Roll-n-Lock cover so I sent a message to the company and asked if I can make it work with new corner brackets. The techs answer was the they don’t have one to fit because of the corners and the tailgate. I understand that the replaced corner brackets will fix that proble but I didn’t know the MFT is that much different than the 1 piece one. Any knowledge of the differences from the people that have one?
Thank you

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Looking a purchasing a 2022 Limited with the MFT and was wanting to install a Roll-n-Lock cover so I sent a message to the company and asked if I can make it work with new corner brackets. The techs answer was the they don’t have one to fit because of the corners and the tailgate. I understand that the replaced corner brackets will fix that proble but I didn’t know the MFT is that much different than the 1 piece one. Any knowledge of the differences from the people that have one?
Thank you
Tailgate isn’t the issue, just the corner brackets.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Just trying to see if those angle brackets would work. Anyone??
Looking at the install video I would have to say No as the tonneau cover brackets at the cab end would have to sit over the angled brackets and being a non-railed cover there’s no flexibility in placement. There also looks to be very little tolerance left and right for the cover to sit on the pins so again I would have to say its a No for this cover.

Last edited:

100weight

Reaction score
Hi. FYI.
Bought the retractable cover from Trucks2Go. A lot cheaper than the retrax et al covers. Made in China. Even with the replacement brackets does not fit without modification. Not a lot of modification but still need to cut some metal. Instructions say half an hour to install. Took me about 3 hours. Not the best instructions either. Can be done on your own.
Sadly didn't take pictures. Sorry.
Hope this helps with anyone's decision making.

Merry Christmas all
Chris

21LTDinFL

Reaction score
Looking at the install video I would have to say No as the tonneau cover brackets at the cab end would have to sit over the angled brackets and being a non-railed cover there’s no flexibility in placement. There also looks to be very little tolerance left and right for the cover to sit on the pins so again I would have to say its a No for this cover.
If the Right On Bracket t is 3/8", and the cut out in the Bed Liner is 1/8", then Undercover mounting brackets would only be off by 1/4" on each side.

The Right On bracket bolts would nee to be countersunk and swapped for flush pan heads too.

I'm wondering if the brackets that grab the pics would be "Persuaded" to fit a slightly narrower pin width?

I've owned 3 Undercover Elite LX covers on my previous GMC's and am fairly familiar with them. They have always has a little "Play" in them until you tighten down the wheel screws.

Attachments

• IMG_4559_f4klgi_2227251c06-jpg.jpeg
    IMG_4559_f4klgi_2227251c06-jpg.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 56
  • tempImage9uNhgz.png
    tempImage9uNhgz.png
    756.1 KB · Views: 56

HammerJG

Reaction score
Question for those of you installing MX4s with the Right Ons... after install and/or during driving with the cover opened up against the glass, is there any issue with the cover/rails being loose to the bed of the truck? I ask because with the cuts in this forum you have to move the fwd most clamps for the rails back/aft of the cab further than you otherwise would, which is slightly concerning for cover security while driving. I would assume there wouldnt be much issue but you never know. Thanks!

RPCMoparluvr

Reaction score
For those interested, RAM did make a change, in fall of 2021, and now Mopar Part # 68295434ag works perfectly on the MF Tailgate. Ram did make some changes to the location of the front latches so now this MOPAR trifold fits perfectly

Here is a link from the MOPAR Store, but you can also find them cheaper on linehttps://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-tonneau-cover-68295434ag

21LTDinFL

Reaction score
I called a local after market Bed Cover/Tonneau dealer. When I asked about the new Ram's w/ MFTG's he told me that they just remove the factory brackets and install whatever top the client wants.

He said that he does not see what the brackets accomplish..

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I called a local after market Bed Cover/Tonneau dealer. When I asked about the new Ram's w/ MFTG's he told me that they just remove the factory brackets and install whatever top the client wants.

He said that he does not see what the brackets accomplish..
I see lawsuits down the road for him. They prevent bending and flexing of the bed sides when added weight is applied to the tailgate when opened in the barn door positions. But he could be smarter (and know more about the MFT) than the designers and engineers that actually designed it.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see lawsuits down the road for him. They prevent bending and flexing of the bed sides when added weight is applied to the tailgate when opened in the bar door positions. But he could be smarter (and know more about the MFT) than the designers and engineers that actually designed it.
So replacing 2 small braces in 2 corners is going to cause problem when you install a brace that attaches to each side of the truck?
I bet the ram designers and engineers never had a bad\poor design and had to do a recall or change of design either.

What would you possibly be putting on your opened tailgate door to cause it to bend or cave in? A dump truck?

Users who are viewing this thread