5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

ramwb

Reaction score
If you are having trouble getting the painted bolt head in the bedside to line up with the opening in the RO bracket, try tightening down the cab side bolts on the RO bracket first. For me that pulled the bracket forward enough that the painted bolt head lined up with the opening in the RO bracket.
Thank you i will try and post back

ramwb

Reaction score
so i cut my rails so they are fully cut around the bracket and allow the rails to go completely flush to the sides of the bed.

I did not have to drill anything out on th RO brackets, there is a large hole that THAT screw sits in allowing the brackets to sit flush.

as for your last question, about the screws that hold the cover to the rails, that is why i cut the rails completely around the RO brackets, so the mounting holes would line up.

i hope all this makes sense
Thank you - i will try and post back

pinzg35

Reaction score
so i cut my rails so they are fully cut around the bracket and allow the rails to go completely flush to the sides of the bed.

I did not have to drill anything out on th RO brackets, there is a large hole that THAT screw sits in allowing the brackets to sit flush.

as for your last question, about the screws that hold the cover to the rails, that is why i cut the rails completely around the RO brackets, so the mounting holes would line up.

i hope all this makes sense
I did pretty much the same. Cut about an inch up and 10 inches long off the rail so it would fit basically around the RO bracket. Once the screws are in, didn’t have any problems with them interfering with the rail or cover. I’m not sure what screws toy are referring to that hold the cover to the rails though? I assume you are installing a MX4 as well but maybe I’m wrong:) The rail does stick about 1/4 out at the end because of the RO bracket but my tailgate closes so didn’t need to cut it at the ends.

pinzg35

Reaction score
I cut the rails around the RO bracket where it hits the screws but not all way - so just cutting it like @enigmaaron will solve the problem? I don't think i have to cut the 1/4" from the end as my problem was not sitting in. Did you have to drill anything on the RO brackets to make them flush as there is a screw on the bed that it hits.
also the 2 top screws that hold the cover to the rails - did you have to drill in the bracket that is attached to the rails or once you cut the rails those screws fit?
If you cut enough that the rail sits around the bracket you will be fine. The RO bracket holes match up to all the screws you take off the factory bracket so you won’t need to drill anything. If you are talking about the two screws that hold the back flap to the railings, those will line up as well once the rails are installed. In the end, all I needed to do was cut she rails to sit around the RO brackets. Hopefully this helps!

GeorgeA

Reaction score
This thread has been great. I decided to make my own brackets out of 1/4 steel and weld a cross brace. It worked great for the Extang Exceed tonneau. The rails fit perfect over the bracket.

I fabricated a some spare brackets and cross braces in case of any issues. I still have them along with a great jig that I made to weld the cross brace.

I would be glad to part with the parts and jig (and advice) if anyone is interested. I am located in Northern California.

Essbaum

Reaction score
I thought the same thing, but they claim it can be done with the braces in place. The one thing I know is that they assured me that whatever they do it will not void the warranty.
I have one installed on my Laramie with the MFT and rambox. The mx4 is compatible but you need to not your config when ordering. Bought mine used and it was already installed so I don't know how the install is. But I can see the corner braces in tact.

Reaction score
After reading this entire thread I’m surprised that no one has tried installing a Peragon cover. I wasn’t originally planning on buying a truck with the MFT, but the one I ended up purchasing had it and now I can’t imagine it without! I was dead set on buying a cover from Peragon though long before I even started looking at a new RAM. I liked the flexibility of having a hard-folding cover that can be very easily removed in less than a minute if needed. Since it seems that no one else has tried to install one on their MFT-equipped truck (or at least posted about it), I took the risk and ordered one. I also went ahead and ordered the RO bracket at the same time knowing the stock ones wouldn’t work with the cover.

The RO brackets arrived within a week of placing the order and my Peragon cover finally showed up at my doorstep today (both ordered March 31st). The RO bracket went on without a hitch, but the factory sprayed-on bedliner was a little thick along the back of the cab and required some scraping to get the new brackets to sit flush. The cover took me over 4 hours to install, but I could’ve been finished much sooner if I wasn’t so OCD about having extremely precise alignment of the rails on the bed. The only interference the cover had was along the fender area of the RO brackets. The clamp in that area had to be moved past the vertical support of the ramp to fit and the closest area to the cab sat 3/16” below the edge cap. The bolts provided had enough length to them that I could add 3 additional 1/4” washers on both sides to get the rail to sit flush. The ramp also sits almost flush with the RO bracket, right on top of the rear-most bolt. That OEM bolt had to be removed on both sides in order to get everything to sit right, but I plan on buying a couple countersunk bolts and countersinking the RO brackets to keep the structural integrity of the bed in check. I was surprised to see the rail crosspiece did not interfere with the OEM bolts near the cab considering how much of a lip the crosspiece has coming down into the bed.

Other than those two interferences everything else went on as described in the instructions. I do have to say that this cover looks great on my Longhorn and am really happy with it. I’m curious to see how much water will get in the bed at the 60/40 split though, but that’s not a huge concern to me. All tonneau covers will let some water in, and if I really wanted a water-tight and secure area to store cargo, I would’ve just waited a little longer for the Jeep Wagoneer to come out 😜 Apologies for the filthy truck though, there’s no point in washing this beast at the moment when it’s going to get coated in a thick layer of dust from the farmers fitting fields and tree pollen within a matter of seconds of cleaning her up!

Attachments

• 19007880-E795-47F0-B862-890B4FCE2ABE.jpeg
    19007880-E795-47F0-B862-890B4FCE2ABE.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 0C79B285-993A-433D-9FB6-9993827D9FD2.jpeg
    0C79B285-993A-433D-9FB6-9993827D9FD2.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 992CA808-7A6B-454C-A521-07B79964318A.jpeg
    992CA808-7A6B-454C-A521-07B79964318A.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 182

traveller09

Reaction score
After reading this entire thread I’m surprised that no one has tried installing a Peragon cover. I wasn’t originally planning on buying a truck with the MFT, but the one I ended up purchasing had it and now I can’t imagine it without! I was dead set on buying a cover from Peragon though long before I even started looking at a new RAM. I liked the flexibility of having a hard-folding cover that can be very easily removed in less than a minute if needed. Since it seems that no one else has tried to install one on their MFT-equipped truck (or at least posted about it), I took the risk and ordered one. I also went ahead and ordered the RO bracket at the same time knowing the stock ones wouldn’t work with the cover.

The RO brackets arrived within a week of placing the order and my Peragon cover finally showed up at my doorstep today (both ordered March 31st). The RO bracket went on without a hitch, but the factory sprayed-on bedliner was a little thick along the back of the cab and required some scraping to get the new brackets to sit flush. The cover took me over 4 hours to install, but I could’ve been finished much sooner if I wasn’t so OCD about having extremely precise alignment of the rails on the bed. The only interference the cover had was along the fender area of the RO brackets. The clamp in that area had to be moved past the vertical support of the ramp to fit and the closest area to the cab sat 3/16” below the edge cap. The bolts provided had enough length to them that I could add 3 additional 1/4” washers on both sides to get the rail to sit flush. The ramp also sits almost flush with the RO bracket, right on top of the rear-most bolt. That OEM bolt had to be removed on both sides in order to get everything to sit right, but I plan on buying a couple countersunk bolts and countersinking the RO brackets to keep the structural integrity of the bed in check. I was surprised to see the rail crosspiece did not interfere with the OEM bolts near the cab considering how much of a lip the crosspiece has coming down into the bed.

Other than those two interferences everything else went on as described in the instructions. I do have to say that this cover looks great on my Longhorn and am really happy with it. I’m curious to see how much water will get in the bed at the 60/40 split though, but that’s not a huge concern to me. All tonneau covers will let some water in, and if I really wanted a water-tight and secure area to store cargo, I would’ve just waited a little longer for the Jeep Wagoneer to come out 😜 Apologies for the filthy truck though, there’s no point in washing this beast at the moment when it’s going to get coated in a thick layer of dust from the farmers fitting fields and tree pollen within a matter of seconds of cleaning her up!

Thanks for the right up, much appreciated. I just ordered a Rebel with MFT and Ramboxes and for me a hard, lockable cover is a must have. I have been thinking about a Retrax. I havent been to Peragon's website yet, you dont happen to know if they work with Ramboxes also?
Thanks.

Nomad

Reaction score
Thanks for the right up, much appreciated. I just ordered a Rebel with MFT and Ramboxes and for me a hard, lockable cover is a must have. I have been thinking about a Retrax. I havent been to Peragon's website yet, you dont happen to know if they work with Ramboxes also?
Thanks.
People with Ramboxes and MFT have a lot more options than those of us with just the MFT.

Reaction score
Thanks.
Unfortunately Peragon doesn’t make a cover for trucks with Ramboxes. My Longhorn has the MFT but not Ramboxes, so by replacing my OEM reinforcement brackets I was able to get my Peragon cover to fit.
People with Ramboxes and MFT have a lot more options than those of us with just the MFT.
^^ This! The reason why it’s so difficult to find covers that fit is because of the reinforcement brackets at the front of the bed to provide extra support when the MFT is split open. Trucks with Ramboxes and MFT don’t need these brackets because of the extra support already incorporated into the design of the Ramboxes. Traveller09, all you need to look for are covers that fit with Rambox, the MFT is not an issue for you.

traveller09

Reaction score
Unfortunately Peragon doesn’t make a cover for trucks with Ramboxes. My Longhorn has the MFT but not Ramboxes, so by replacing my OEM reinforcement brackets I was able to get my Peragon cover to fit.

^^ This! The reason why it’s so difficult to find covers that fit is because of the reinforcement brackets at the front of the bed to provide extra support when the MFT is split open. Trucks with Ramboxes and MFT don’t need these brackets because of the extra support already incorporated into the design of the Ramboxes. Traveller09, all you need to look for are covers that fit with Rambox, the MFT is not an issue for you.
Great, thank you. That makes the search a little easier.

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Just a couple updates on our end. We've had great feedback on the replacement brackets on the different model years. We make these brackets in our CNC machine to be as close to OEM as possible.

We've been getting a handful of questions about the strength of these brackets vs. the OEM brackets. It's important to note these brackets exist due to the unique tailgate putting pressure on the front of the truck bed. These brackets are designed to reinforce that pressure. Our brackets are plenty strong to do the job. This is not an OEM part and like many auto "upgrades", can void a warranty. We recommend keeping your stock brackets if you ever need them in the future.

In terms of fitment with specific tonneau covers; we're relying on this forum for that information. We don't have this truck and every tonneau cover to check fitment. We recommend crawling this forum for recommendations on which cover to use. We've heard great things about the Bakflip MX4. I personally have this for my truck and love it.

If you have questions regarding this bracket kit, reach out to us directly on our website; rightonbracket.com. Here's a link to that product as well:

Thank you!

-Pete

CanadaBoy

Reaction score
I just installed the RO brackets on a 2021 Ram Laramie with MFT (no boxes) and they are not flush to the side of the bed as expected. I ordered a LOMAX hard tri-fold cover and its on its way. Wondering if there will be issues with that cover and the RO brackets. Anyone have any luck with the MFT, no boxes, RO brackets and the LOMAX? Any other cover suggestions?

Last edited:

CanadaBoy

Reaction score
I had to cut my rails for my Lomax. Also had to add additional marine weather stripping at the front of the bed by the cab due to the RO brackets' 3/8" thickness. Appear to be mostly leak free now and would still do it the same instead of using the stock soft cover.
davidn0021,

I have a Lomax cover on the way for my 2021 Ram w MFT, no boxes. Would you be willing to share some pics so I know what I'm up against? Sure would appreciate that! I'm gonna need all the help I can get to make this cover work! Thanks in advance!

BeachBum

Reaction score
Just installed the MX4 with the RO brackets - was a struggle but with all the help here I finally did it. If anyone needs help let me know. (MFT with no Rambox)
Definitely my cover of choice also. Please share your needed mods to the rails I assume and w/ RO brackets also assume. Photos would also be a plus........Thanks my friend!!!

Reaction score
Definitely my cover of choice also. Please share your needed mods to the rails I assume and w/ RO brackets also assume. Photos would also be a plus........Thanks my friend!!!
I too would like the “how you did it” with pictures for the MX4 with MFT and no Ramboxes. I have had two previous BakFlips and swear by their quality.

ramwb

Reaction score
You definitely have to cut the rails so that they dont overlap with the RO brackets - that is the main thing - cut them all the way to the top (i will post pictures shortly). I had alignment issues with the RO brackets - but I understand that RO has rectified this. Once you have done that then it is a breeze. Make sure to torque only to 10ft/lb the rail clams

pinzg35

Reaction score
To note, I didn't cut mine all the way to the top but did cut enough for the MX4 railing to sit on top of the RO brackets. I will say because of the RO brackets, the railing does stick out of the bed frame a bit since you can't have it sit fully flush with the cabin bed wall but the tailgate closes no problem. You'll know what I mean when you install it.

BeachBum

Reaction score
To note, I didn't cut mine all the way to the top but did cut enough for the MX4 railing to sit on top of the RO brackets. I will say because of the RO brackets, the railing does stick out of the bed frame a bit since you can't have it sit fully flush with the cabin bed wall but the tailgate closes no problem. You'll know what I mean when you install it.
Is the rear of the rail not trimmable for some reason ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread