5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great. I ordered the RO brackets ( 4 months ago) and then decided not to install them. I was worried about tailgate function and warranty and also figured some manufacturers would come up with a solution eventually. I’ve sent Truxedo an email today to confirm if the Sentey CT will work with MFT and provide product code.
I called Truxedo and they confirmed Truxedo Sentry CT(new model) work with the MFT without Ramboxes as Scottygolf recommended.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Thanks Much, it fits with MFT and no Ramboxes. I have never had a roll-up cover just the 4 fold Bakflip. I had a BakFlip on my last Ram that I had for 16 years before I upgraded to a new RAM. The Bakflip never gave me a problem or bleached out. Does the fabric covering the aluminum slats hold up over time?
I bypassed the fabric on the CT and went with the vinyl cover. I have a convertible and the fabric top grabs everything. It seems to always have something stuck to it. For the truck, the vinyl top is fine. The canvas on the CT looks nice but came down to maintenance for me.

Attachments

• bracket 1.jpeg
    bracket 1.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 109
  • bed 1.jpg
    bed 1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Thanks to Enigmaaron's post and chat, I was able to install the MX4 using the brackets from RO. I did have to cut a similar portion of the covers railings like Enigmaaron did as the bracket is about a 1/4" too thick for the railing to sit flush with the bed sides. I also tried to put the cover railing behind the bracket which might have worked if you drilled the mounting holes on the bracket a little bigger but decided against it. Cutting the MX4 railings to fit around the bracket was the best option and everything fits like it would if I didn't have to work around the brackets needed for the MFTG.

Curious to see how dealer installs yours Dallasfan so let us know how that goes!

BTW...ordered the Bakflip through Brittany Marie (www.accessory.parts) who you can find through FB. Easy to work with and got the best price available with super fast shipping!
thanks for this post! found someone on FB marketplace selling their mx4 for super cheap and going to order the RO brackets now. I am intrigued and will possibly test out drilling out the holes on the bracket, as you mentioned, to see if i can sandwhich the rail in there.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
thanks for this post! found someone on FB marketplace selling their mx4 for super cheap and going to order the RO brackets now. I am intrigued and will possibly test out drilling out the holes on the bracket, as you mentioned, to see if i can sandwhich the rail in there.
I have brackets from RO for 2021 Limited that I won't be using.

ETOPS

Reaction score
I really liked the BAKFlip MX4 cover and was determined to make it work with my MFT. I had my own brackets made out of 3/8" steel from a local fab shop. After a few modifications, they are installed along with the MX4 cover. Only modification was small (1/4" x 3/4") trimming to the side rails around the two bolt holes where the MX4 mounting rail contacts the new L brackets. I feel it is every bit as strong if not stronger than the OEM bracket. Pic attached for reference.
Hi BigBucks21

Your bracket looks to be the best of all so far from an engineering standpoint.
I agree with your thinking on the MX4 - always looked the best on my Sierras, or at least to me.
I really want to make the MX4 work on my Ram. Is it possible to have the person that made these do another set? If not, do you have dimensions? Let me know if email better.
Thanks

BigBucks21

Reaction score
Hi BigBucks21

I agree with your thinking on the MX4 - always looked the best on my Sierras, or at least to me.
I really want to make the MX4 work on my Ram. Is it possible to have the person that made these do another set? If not, do you have dimensions? Let me know if email better.
Thanks
Thanks for the comments on the brackets. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the drawings. I also had to get some machining done on a lathe at my work. Unfortunately due to all of this o really wouldn't be able to make you a setup. As an fyi, I have about $150 into it from the original fabricator plus the free matching from my work. Probably a $300 pair of brackets at this point...

ETOPS

Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for getting back to me. I just retired, so have time now to take on some projects. I will use your pics as a guide and see what I can do.

shennecke

Reaction score
Do you have to order these additional parts because you needed them or wanted them? If you needed them was it because you have the MFT? I do not but don't want to order a cover and not have all the parts I need. Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. Yes you need the right on brackets with screws to make it work.

pinzg35

Reaction score
Even if you made the holes bigger, trying to sandwich the rail behind the bracket won’t work. Cutting a piece of the rail to allow it to sit on top of the RO bracket works and doesn’t effect how the cover sits in the railing at all.

Reaction score
Even if you made the holes bigger, trying to sandwich the rail behind the bracket won’t work. Cutting a piece of the rail to allow it to sit on top of the RO bracket works and doesn’t effect how the cover sits in the railing at all.
yeah i found that out. any chance you have pictures of the rails after you cut them? my rails are a bit different than the revovler rails enigmaaaron posted. it looks like i will have to cut off the end cap to the water "trough"(?) that the hose comes out of the bottom. in order for it to sit as far back against the cabside as it needs to.

ramwb

Reaction score
Hi BigBucks21

Thanks
guys i have been struggling for the past couple of days trying to get the MX4 to wok with the RO brackets on my 2020 limited - any help please !!!

ramwb

Reaction score
@pinzg35 did u install the MX4 with the RO brackets ? - any help would be great or pictures pls.

ramwb

Reaction score
are you cutting the rails? i have had to make a cut similar to the cut that @enigmaaron did. also i will have to cut off about 1/4" from the end of the rail, since it now sits forward a bit more than it should due to the RO bracket
I cut the rails around the RO bracket where it hits the screws but not all way - so just cutting it like @enigmaaron will solve the problem? I don't think i have to cut the 1/4" from the end as my problem was not sitting in. Did you have to drill anything on the RO brackets to make them flush as there is a screw on the bed that it hits.
also the 2 top screws that hold the cover to the rails - did you have to drill in the bracket that is attached to the rails or once you cut the rails those screws fit?

Reaction score
I cut the rails around the RO bracket where it hits the screws but not all way - so just cutting it like @enigmaaron will solve the problem? I don't think i have to cut the 1/4" from the end as my problem was not sitting in. Did you have to drill anything on the RO brackets to make them flush as there is a screw on the bed that it hits.
also the 2 top screws that hold the cover to the rails - did you have to drill in the bracket that is attached to the rails or once you cut the rails those screws fit?
so i cut my rails so they are fully cut around the bracket and allow the rails to go completely flush to the sides of the bed.

I did not have to drill anything out on th RO brackets, there is a large hole that THAT screw sits in allowing the brackets to sit flush.

as for your last question, about the screws that hold the cover to the rails, that is why i cut the rails completely around the RO brackets, so the mounting holes would line up.

i hope all this makes sense

enigmaaron

Reaction score
If you are having trouble getting the painted bolt head in the bedside to line up with the opening in the RO bracket, try tightening down the cab side bolts on the RO bracket first. For me that pulled the bracket forward enough that the painted bolt head lined up with the opening in the RO bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread