5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

pinzg35

Reaction score
Thanks to Enigmaaron's post and chat, I was able to install the MX4 using the brackets from RO. I did have to cut a similar portion of the covers railings like Enigmaaron did as the bracket is about a 1/4" too thick for the railing to sit flush with the bed sides. I also tried to put the cover railing behind the bracket which might have worked if you drilled the mounting holes on the bracket a little bigger but decided against it. Cutting the MX4 railings to fit around the bracket was the best option and everything fits like it would if I didn't have to work around the brackets needed for the MFTG.

Curious to see how dealer installs yours Dallasfan so let us know how that goes!

BTW...ordered the Bakflip through Brittany Marie (www.accessory.parts) who you can find through FB. Easy to work with and got the best price available with super fast shipping!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still trying to figure this out...

How long are the bolts that hold the MFT bracket onto the FRONT of the bed? (I know the side bolts are M8-1.25 x 80mm.)

Are the bracket front bolts the same as the side bolts?

Thanks

pinzg35

Reaction score
Still trying to figure this out...

How long are the bolts that hold the MFT bracket onto the FRONT of the bed? (I know the side bolts are M8-1.25 x 80mm.)

Are the bracket front bolts the same as the side bolts?

Thanks
The front bolts are shorter but there is no need to change out the bolts if that is what you are trying to do. I guess...at what stage of the install are you at?

shennecke

Reaction score
Just installed a Leer/Pace Edwards Switchblade cover on my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with Bed Utility Group and Multifunction Split Tailgate. Used Right On Brackets with flat head replacement screws. A little modification on part of the cover that was wide but fits perfect. Really like the look and function of this cover. Would be nice if Right On Brackets sold you the flat head bolts also instead of getting them from Amazon.

Attachments

• 20210330_160608.jpg
    20210330_160608.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 98

Dallasfan

Reaction score
Thanks to Enigmaaron's post and chat, I was able to install the MX4 using the brackets from RO. I did have to cut a similar portion of the covers railings like Enigmaaron did as the bracket is about a 1/4" too thick for the railing to sit flush with the bed sides. I also tried to put the cover railing behind the bracket which might have worked if you drilled the mounting holes on the bracket a little bigger but decided against it. Cutting the MX4 railings to fit around the bracket was the best option and everything fits like it would if I didn't have to work around the brackets needed for the MFTG.

Curious to see how dealer installs yours Dallasfan so let us know how that goes!

BTW...ordered the Bakflip through Brittany Marie (www.accessory.parts) who you can find through FB. Easy to work with and got the best price available with super fast shipping!

The dealership just called and said that they could do it, but it wouldn’t be easy. They said that they would have to fabricate a bracket that essentially lowered the factory braces 3/4 to 1”. They gave me two options; option 1 fab brackets and make the mx 4 work, or option 2 give me an Access cover. I took option 2, since option 1 sounded like more trouble than it was worth.

The good news is that someone is gonna get a smokin deal on my old MX4.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front bolts are shorter but there is no need to change out the bolts if that is what you are trying to do. I guess...at what stage of the install are you at?
I'm at the "waiting for the factory to put my truck together" stage. ;)

I'm trying to get all the pieces and parts together so I can just start turning bolts when I get the truck home. Whenever that may be!

I've got a RetraxPRO sitting in my garage, next to a set of the brackets. I want to have replacement bolts to both add a bit of clearance and to have a smooth surface...

Thanks.
Ken

TWOCHILLY55

Reaction score
I have been running into this as well...

There are a couple of other threads addressing this.

#1 Here
#2 Here

I did order and receive an Undercover, I would have had to make more modifications to the bed than I was willing to.

I have been in contact with Diamondback on a weekly basis. I have asked to be called each Friday with an update on the status of their products as they have been waiting for a test mule local to them in the NE. Apparently they were able to test about two weeks ago and had to make additional changes to it, from what I was told they would be test fitting again this week. I expect an update later today if I get one I will update this thread.
any respond from them yet

Kibbe

Reaction score
Just installed a Leer/Pace Edwards Switchblade cover on my 2021 Ram 1500 Limited with Bed Utility Group and Multifunction Split Tailgate. Used Right On Brackets with flat head replacement screws. A little modification on part of the cover that was wide but fits perfect. Really like the look and function of this cover. Would be nice if Right On Brackets sold you the flat head bolts also instead of getting them from Amazon.
Do you have to order these additional parts because you needed them or wanted them? If you needed them was it because you have the MFT? I do not but don't want to order a cover and not have all the parts I need. Thanks!

Kelly12612

Reaction score
I put the Truxedo Pro X15 sort cover on my 2021 Rambox with MFT this past weekend, and I'm pretty happy with it. I ended up grinding away a bit of the rail where it goes over the brackets, just to make everything as flush as I could. The other choice would be to elongate the slot where the bracket attaches to the tie down bar, or just leave it alone, it would have worked fine, but I couldn't quite leave it alone.... ;) For this truck, with the 5'7 bed, RB and MFT, I ordered part number 1484901, make sure you get the right one for your truck. The included blocks fill the gaps from the MFT pretty well. When I took it through the car wash, the only water came from the sides of the MFT, so I have the bed seal kit coming to see if I can make it a bit better.
side.jpg gap_two.jpg gap_closeup.jpg rambox_up.jpg

Reactions: c3k
Reaction score
I have researched, read this entire forums string and read many RAM 1500 blogs about installing a hard bed cover on a 5th Generation RAM 1500 without Ramboxes BUT with the Multi-Functional tailgate. It seems like the Extang 2.0 is the only direct fit folding hard cover. But since it is a tri-fold you loose the use of part of your forward bed if you have tall items. I have had Bakflip covers on my Ram Truck and really like them since they are flush and give you almost full access and use of the bed.

Does anyone know of any direct fit flush bedcovers without removing the OEM brackets that would work?
- I was told by the dealer replacing my OEM corner bed brackets with the RO corner steel brackets voids my warranty.

Reaction score
The dealership just called and said that they could do it, but it wouldn’t be easy. They said that they would have to fabricate a bracket that essentially lowered the factory braces 3/4 to 1”. They gave me two options; option 1 fab brackets and make the mx 4 work, or option 2 give me an Access cover. I took option 2, since option 1 sounded like more trouble than it was worth.

The good news is that someone is gonna get a smokin deal on my old MX4.
When the Access install is finished could post some pictures? Thanks

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I have researched, read this entire forums string and read many RAM 1500 blogs about installing a hard bed cover on a 5th Generation RAM 1500 without Ramboxes BUT with the Multi-Functional tailgate. It seems like the Extang 2.0 is the only direct fit folding hard cover. But since it is a tri-fold you loose the use of part of your forward bed if you have tall items. I have had Bakflip covers on my Ram Truck and really like them since they are flush and give you almost full access and use of the bed.

Does anyone know of any direct fit flush bedcovers without removing the OEM brackets that would work?
- I was told by the dealer replacing my OEM corner bed brackets with the RO corner steel brackets voids my warranty.
Take a look at the Truxedo Sentry and Sentry CT. They now offer an option on the website for Ram with MFT. That is what I went with and works fine. Kept the OEM brackets. Just had to loosen them and took a rubber mallet to make sure the brackets were at their lowest position and level then tightened. Not the cover's issue but the way the brackets were installed. I ordered mine from Truck Alterations and saved a bunch.

El_Draque

Reaction score

It would not void your warranty and I suggest using a different dealer that isnt going to lie to you. Modifications only void warranty if the dealer can prove that the modification is directly reaponsible for the parts that need fixing/replacing. For example if a window switch stopped working the dealer cant deny covering it under warranty because of some aftermarket brackets in the bed that would be ludicrous. Not only that but it would be a simple effort to simply put the stock brackets back on to take in to dealer.

El_Draque

Reaction score
Take a look at the Truxedo Sentry and Sentry CT. They now offer an option on the website for Ram with MFT. That is what I went with and works fine. Kept the OEM brackets. Just had to loosen them and took a rubber mallet to make sure the brackets were at their lowest position and level then tightened. Not the cover's issue but the way the brackets were installed. I ordered mine from Truck Alterations and saved a bunch.
Can you post a picture of the corner brace area with the Sentry installed?

Portercycling250

Reaction score
Sure, I’ll take some pics tomorrow and try to get them posted.
Thanks, that would be great. I ordered the RO brackets ( 4 months ago) and then decided not to install them. I was worried about tailgate function and warranty and also figured some manufacturers would come up with a solution eventually. I’ve sent Truxedo an email today to confirm if the Sentey CT will work with MFT and provide product code.

Dallasfan

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great. I ordered the RO brackets ( 4 months ago) and then decided not to install them. I was worried about tailgate function and warranty and also figured some manufacturers would come up with a solution eventually. I’ve sent Truxedo an email today to confirm if the Sentey CT will work with MFT and provide product code.

Attachments

• F9D01B33-CDCE-4F86-8CD9-C6AC508B2B21.jpeg
    F9D01B33-CDCE-4F86-8CD9-C6AC508B2B21.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 8E7C465D-BCD7-4CBC-AB6C-D65CCC770C6E.jpeg
    8E7C465D-BCD7-4CBC-AB6C-D65CCC770C6E.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 189C7ABA-0659-471D-9AB7-25934405D978.jpeg
    189C7ABA-0659-471D-9AB7-25934405D978.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 107
  • BA63C032-87E9-4485-9C84-5D050DEF06AB.jpeg
    BA63C032-87E9-4485-9C84-5D050DEF06AB.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 87341A16-27B3-4A6B-BC98-25568C5B03D5.jpeg
    87341A16-27B3-4A6B-BC98-25568C5B03D5.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: c3k
Reaction score
Thanks Much, it fits with MFT and no Ramboxes. I have never had a roll-up cover just the 4 fold Bakflip. I had a BakFlip on my last Ram that I had for 16 years before I upgraded to a new RAM. The Bakflip never gave me a problem or bleached out. Does the fabric covering the aluminum slats hold up over time?

Users who are viewing this thread