5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Pics

fjetb

Reaction score
Mine is a Retraxpro XR on a Longhorn with the Multi-function tailgate. 2020 Ram tailgate tonneau.jpg

Attachments

• 2020 Ram passinger quarter tonneau.jpg
    2020 Ram passinger quarter tonneau.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 2020 Ram driver tonneau.jpg
    2020 Ram driver tonneau.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 313

K_Hub

Reaction score
I was torn between the RetraxPro XR and the Truck Covers USA. I ended up going with the Truck Covers USA for two main reasons, number 1: you can release the top from a locked position without needing a key, number 2: the canister is the smallest on the market. I completed the install with a bedrug bed mat and some led strip lights. I have yakima hd crossbars with a yakima off grid basket on their way to install in the factory installed tracks on the side rails for cargo overload and hopefully a new Hobie Mirage Outback kayak I’ve been looking at getting. After a month of having the setup on my truck I can tell you I’m pretty dang happy with it.
ea264ac9451add27abbf9b85c7b038b1.jpg

e50c9ada24ca46e41a2514b2463f7472.jpg

d5de18748833a43174059dffd5176277.jpg

6c7596784ae2cd78201e0cda2a7d5ae3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvigne01

Reaction score
I plan to buy a Truck Covers USA cover for my truck. Glad to hear you are happy with it. I had pace Edwards on my 4th Gen. Only issue I had with it was the side rails would get loose. Cover would open on it own driving over a bump. Kept having to adjust it every year or so

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score

Jeet

Reaction score
How’s it hold up to the weather I’m in the market for this exact one? Also how much did you pay

So far so good. I have it for little over a year now. No cracks still function like it did on day 1. No regret. I paid around $900 on realtrucks.com

bvigne01

Reaction score
How much are people paying for Truck Covers USA AMERICAN ROLL COVER. I was quoted $2,254.23 and $150 to install it. i knew it wouldn’t be cheep but is this really what people are paying or is this quote crazy high ?

Bcryan

Reaction score
3EB4DA28-4ED4-4CEF-9146-3247D84E2B31.jpeg
Truxedo 2.0... besides the fact that my dealer game me a 5’7 cover for my 6’4 box ... I have run these for years. Trifold, easy to take off, no leaks and no wear in tear issues.
FB302456-5E0D-452F-B840-8682839ECC82.jpeg

K_Hub

Reaction score
How much are people paying for Truck Covers USA AMERICAN ROLL COVER. I was quoted $2,254.23 and $150 to install it. i knew it wouldn’t be cheep but is this really what people are paying or is this quote crazy high ?

That is insane! I paid $1,850 for mine with the American rack system added to it and they wanted $100 install but I just put it in myself. I wanted to ensure the hoses were ran how I wanted them. Keep in mind that the company is only 120 miles from me and I’m pretty sure the owner of the shop I bought the cover from drove and picked it up.

ak_andy

Reaction score
I just got the Rough Country low profile for mine, and it fits great! Idk how it'll do with wet weather because I literally just installed it but reviews seem really good! Very easy to install.

2020 Laramie Ecodiesel, Crew cab, 4x4, Level 2, Night Edition
8cac10fded448cb4894b7b1f3c27d07d.jpg

dd7d95017d65f22ca85f2ee710e100d4.jpg
So, I've been shopping and reading reviews. The Rough Country seems to be the best "bang for your buck". Are you still satisfied with it? I live in South Louisiana and we get a lot of rain down here. I'm not expecting it to keep ALL the water out, just most.

cjh0702

Reaction score
I use my truck a lot for towing, woodworking, and as a family hauler on long trips. so I needed a toolbox that worked with a tonneau cover without sacrificing a lot of bed space. I decided to pull the trigger on a Truxedo Tonneaumate toolbox with a Truxedo Deuce tonneau cover.

The toolbox sits on rails that are clamped to the inside of the bed of the truck. This allows the tool box to ride about 1/4 below the height of the bed. Because it is on rails, it also sits above the bed of the truck as well, which allows me to use the entire length of my bed to haul lumber. Even if my tailgate is up, there is enough clearance to fit a few sheets of plywood underneath. It has a decent amount of space in it. I can carry all of my tools without issue. There are no dividers or organizers inside of, but that wasn't a dealbreaker for me. The material is hard plastic, not metal, but it's pretty thick and rated to 200 lbs. Below are some pictures with the tonneau cover rolled up.

IMG_9622 copy.jpg

IMG_9624 copy.jpg

The tonneau cover is designed to roll ups from the tailgate up to the front of the bed (as shown in the pics above). But it also has the added benefit of having a section in the FRONT of the bed that folds back enough to get access to the toolbox. It makes it really easy to get to the toolbox quickly without having to unroll the whole thing. The latching mechanism for this folding feature feels stout. It does take a significant amount of pressure/force to open the latch, but I imagine that will soften over time.

IMG_9616 copy.jpg

IMG_9618 copy.jpg

IMG_9615 copy.jpg

IMG_9620 copy.jpg

These two items were designed to compliment each other. The rails that are used for the tonneau cover are the same ones that are used for the toolbox. So I didn't need to use the extra hardware that came with the toolbox itself. I assume that hardware would be used if there was another brand of tonneau cover that you wanted to use. I also wanted to mention that the toolbox itself could be mounted anywhere along the length of the bed. I just chose to mount it towards the front because that's where it would prove most useful to me, and thats where I could get access to it with the folding feature for this particular tonneau cover. The toolbox is held in place with 4 bolts on the rail system (not into the truck), so if you needed to take the toolbox out, it would be pretty easy to do so. The tonneau cover itself seems like its made of quality material, and it only sits about 1/2 above the height of the bed.

IMG_9604 copy.jpg

IMG_9607 copy.jpg

I installed it today and so far I am happy with the purchase. All in all it took me about an hour to install both items. It's not super complicated, but it would probably go by quicker if there were 2 people installing it. I really like the functionality. I get the weather resistance of the tonneau cover should I need to take luggage with me on family trips, with access to my toolbox and bed space underneath should I need to haul lumber.

All that's left to see is if I installed it well enough to keep rain out. I will update everyone once this thing has been tested with some weather.

Paultg

Reaction score
I use my truck a lot for towing, woodworking, and as a family hauler on long trips. so I needed a toolbox that worked with a tonneau cover without sacrificing a lot of bed space. I decided to pull the trigger on a Truxedo Tonneaumate toolbox with a Truxedo Deuce tonneau cover.

The toolbox sits on rails that are clamped to the inside of the bed of the truck. This allows the tool box to ride about 1/4 below the height of the bed. Because it is on rails, it also sits above the bed of the truck as well, which allows me to use the entire length of my bed to haul lumber. Even if my tailgate is up, there is enough clearance to fit a few sheets of plywood underneath. It has a decent amount of space in it. I can carry all of my tools without issue. There are no dividers or organizers inside of, but that wasn't a dealbreaker for me. The material is hard plastic, not metal, but it's pretty thick and rated to 200 lbs. Below are some pictures with the tonneau cover rolled up.

View attachment 63337

View attachment 63338

The tonneau cover is designed to roll ups from the tailgate up to the front of the bed (as shown in the pics above). But it also has the added benefit of having a section in the FRONT of the bed that folds back enough to get access to the toolbox. It makes it really easy to get to the toolbox quickly without having to unroll the whole thing. The latching mechanism for this folding feature feels stout. It does take a significant amount of pressure/force to open the latch, but I imagine that will soften over time.

View attachment 63344

View attachment 63345

View attachment 63346

View attachment 63347

These two items were designed to compliment each other. The rails that are used for the tonneau cover are the same ones that are used for the toolbox. So I didn't need to use the extra hardware that came with the toolbox itself. I assume that hardware would be used if there was another brand of tonneau cover that you wanted to use. I also wanted to mention that the toolbox itself could be mounted anywhere along the length of the bed. I just chose to mount it towards the front because that's where it would prove most useful to me, and thats where I could get access to it with the folding feature for this particular tonneau cover. The toolbox is held in place with 4 bolts on the rail system (not into the truck), so if you needed to take the toolbox out, it would be pretty easy to do so. The tonneau cover itself seems like its made of quality material, and it only sits about 1/2 above the height of the bed.

View attachment 63348

View attachment 63349

I installed it today and so far I am happy with the purchase. All in all it took me about an hour to install both items. It's not super complicated, but it would probably go by quicker if there were 2 people installing it. I really like the functionality. I get the weather resistance of the tonneau cover should I need to take luggage with me on family trips, with access to my toolbox and bed space underneath should I need to haul lumber.

All that's left to see is if I installed it well enough to keep rain out. I will update everyone once this thing has been tested with some weather.
That setup is really cool. Who makes it? Do you have a link by any chance?

cjh0702

Reaction score
That setup is really cool. Who makes it? Do you have a link by any chance?

Yup! Links are below.

I recommend going to the product page and putting your truck trim/bed length in to get the part number. The toolbox itself seems to be pretty universal. I found mine on amazon for $40 cheaper than on the manufacturer's website

For the tonneau cover itself, I found a local aftermarket shop in town and they were able to order the exact part number for $100 dollars less than the manufacturer (including shipping). They also had it to me the next day, instead of 5-10 days like it says on the website. I recommend calling around to see if you can get a similar deal.

phisch

Reaction score
Has anyone in here tried the SyneticUSA retractable cover? It appears to be a knock off of the Retrax/Gator/AmericanRoll retractables but at a much more palatable price. Can open without opening the tailgate, powder coated aluminum, etc. The reviews on Amazon are pretty solid, but few. I really like the Gatortrax MX but I also like to retain as much of my cash as possible. I am aware of the you get what you pay for cliche, just looking for real life data.

SyneticUSA Tonneau Cover

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Extang Xceed. Very sleek and really like it.

Attachments

• 20200707_164607.jpg
    20200707_164607.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 297
  • 20200707_164615.jpg
    20200707_164615.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 20200707_164644.jpg
    20200707_164644.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 300

BNeal

Reaction score
Lomax hard tonneau. $755 delivered with coupon from auto anything. Solid aluminum, very low profile, 20 minute to install rails. Has quick detach. Only con I can think of is that it’s a bit heavy when you want to detach it.

b9635d2ce5181d7f6ab465155a51dd2d.jpg
e77bf6f292d4181bc3134ace839267ed.jpg

So, this is the cover I want for my '21 when it comes in, but will it work with Ram box and MFT? Sorry, didn't read through all the pages yet to see if this is already answered.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, this is the cover I want for my '21 when it comes in, but will it work with Ram box and MFT? Sorry, didn't read through all the pages yet to see if this is already answered.
Website - no good - ram box + MFT

Guistwite04

Reaction score
Truxedo Pro X-15. Love how flush it is to the top of the bed. Will be curious to see how it holds up. I was told by the installer since they were a preferred dealer they double Truxedo’s warranty. Looks like I have a double lifetime warranty!

Attachments

• 04C06F1F-4DE5-4DF5-BA99-2A93552CC4BE.jpeg
    04C06F1F-4DE5-4DF5-BA99-2A93552CC4BE.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 9FF5ED16-9BAD-45BF-88E1-395CFB9813C5.jpeg
    9FF5ED16-9BAD-45BF-88E1-395CFB9813C5.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 229

FTRO

Reaction score
Lomax hard tri-fold
Lomax 1.jpg
Lomax 2.jpg
Followed others on this forum and emailed Kyle Lucas "Luke" at TruckAlterations for a cheaper price... dealings with him were good.
It took two tries for Meyer Distributing, who is the wholesaler that sends the product, to get one to me undamaged and with all the parts.

Number one on the list for me was easy removal for full bed access.
What I wanted in a cover was one as flat and even as the plastic bed cap, but without thick rubber trim around each panel. (Bak mx4)
I also didn't want any snap attachment points at the front sticking up above the cover. Or added locks or handles to raise a section.( Extang Encore)
The Lomax hit the most check marks but I'm not sold completely on the quality.

When closed the latches have slight play between them and the rail. I added a small piece of vinyl to tighten the connection and make sure it doesn't rattle.
Lomax 4.jpg
After sitting a while it might flatten out but the whole cover bows in the middle leaving a gap in the front and back seal as of now.
Lomax 3.jpg
I painted the clamps before install so they blend into the bed much better for when I have the cover removed. I'm still undecided but really thinking of
painting the raw aluminum edge so it blends in better even though it doesn't stand out too much.

Overall would I choose this cover again, most likely no. After Waterfowler41 review I might change up what I want. For now I will just enjoy what I have.

Just to add a bit more info since asked...for the quality (longevity) when folded the rubber seal is pressured at the hinged area causing it to slightly pull from the panels. I am basing this from how long it has been folded up before shipping. Since I only received mine yesterday 7/30.
Damage 1.jpg
here is a closer look at the first one I was sent that was damaged and had a bent corner on a panel but still shows what more wear on the rubber hinge area would look like...
Damage.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread